Page 94 of 203 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I haven't been to the range in too long (a few months), but went with my dad today so that he could get some shooting in with a couple of new acquisitions.

Since my agency quals are coming up in a couple of weeks, I thought I'd go for broke.

10 rounds 124+P GDHPs, cold, freestyle, from the Sig P250c 9mm on my hip (carry/duty gun):

Name:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  20.6 KB

Not near as good as most of y'all, but my 25 yard shooting is normally braced, and the orange ProGlo front sight is as big and as fuzzy as the bull for me.

I need to tighten it up, but being closer to 50 than 49, I'll take it for now. I actually though I'd pulled one or two off more than that.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 10-25-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Good Shooting Evan O.
    Thanks JBP!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I haven't been to the range in too long (a few months), but went with my dad today so that he could get some shooting in with a couple of new acquisitions.

Since my agency quals are coming up in a couple of weeks, I thought I'd go for broke.

10 rounds 124+P GDHPs, cold, freestyle, from the Sig P250c 9mm on my hip (carry/duty gun):

Name:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  20.6 KB

Not near as good as most of y'all, but my 25 yard shooting is normally braced, and the orange ProGlo front sight is as big and as fuzzy as the bull for me.

I need to tighten it up, but being closer to 50 than 49, I'll take it for now. I actually though I'd pulled one or two off more than that.
    Stick with it Chuck you’ll get there. Lots of dry fire helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

I quit utilizing the barricade several years ago during our qualifications. I found that getting my grip, stance, and shoulders rolled back and locked in place afforded me much better 25 yard performance than relying on the barricade.

Granted, I am like the only one at quals that doesn't press up to the barricade at the 25. We only do 5 rounds standing and then 5 kneeling at 25. 50 seconds from the draw on a standard Q target.

When I started this drill, my groups were similar to yours. I focused more on trigger control and a "surprise" break of the shot without changing anything else and my groups got better and better. I then added a front sight focus (which was hard for me and my 48 year old eyes) and those two things got me hitting all ten in the black.

Learning to just let the shot break instead of "ambushing" the trigger when that sight pic was perfect allowed me to find the X ring and 10 ring. I was sort of shocked how "off" my sights could wobble and as long as I pressed the trigger clean, it had less of an affect on my hits than "ambushing" the trigger.

Just some thoughts on what worked for me. I can get similar performance now no matter what type of sights the pistol has.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    Stick with it Chuck you’ll get there. Lots of dry fire helps too.
    I really do need to get in more regular dry practice.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I quit utilizing the barricade several years ago during our qualifications. I found that getting my grip, stance, and shoulders rolled back and locked in place afforded me much better 25 yard performance than relying on the barricade.

Granted, I am like the only one at quals that doesn't press up to the barricade at the 25. We only do 5 rounds standing and then 5 kneeling at 25. 50 seconds from the draw on a standard Q target.
    To clarify, this was at the local indoor range, and at 25 I usually sit on a stool and brace elbows on the table/shelf in the lane to check sights. I agree with you about the barricade.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

struggled today. everything was left.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Ash,

Not sure what type of pistol you're running, one thing I learned from Paul Howe, too much grip can cause rounds left. I run a Glock 19 and always thought I did not need a back strap. I wear medium sized gloves and always considered my hands small. When Paul suggested I try the medium back strap I thought he was nuts. Turns out I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but in all actuality it's one of the things that improved my shooting. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by EJO View Post
    Ash,

Not sure what type of pistol you're running, one thing I learned from Paul Howe, too much grip can cause rounds left. I run a Glock 19 and always thought I did not need a back strap. I wear medium sized gloves and always considered my hands small. When Paul suggested I try the medium back strap I thought he was nuts. Turns out I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but in all actuality it's one of the things that improved my shooting. Just a thought.
    That’s pretty interesting. Size M hands here, and I persistently shoot low and away, especially on multiple follow up shots.

I will have to give this a try. Thanks.

It isn't a be all end all but it does help. I've been doing it since my gen4 and continue to do it with the gen5. Honestly I don't like the way it looks and I never thought it "felt" right but when put to live fire, it works for me.

I was the range yesterday and decided to walk it back to 50 yards and do some standing offhand. The results were solid, since I haven’t shot at real long ranges in a while.

https://www.facebook.com/29976677006...3444682365585/

Beretta 92 with American Eagle 147 grain, and for a better shot of the target here’s this:

Name:  C6909BB9-2004-4578-83E8-D8FB01A360D5.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  31.0 KB

Obviously 20-something seconds is basically an eternity, so I had all the time in the world to clean up my sight picture and fuck with my grip in between shots. If I was seriously training for Bianchi Cup the par time is 6 shots in 15 seconds, which is a lot less time and I have to take better steps to manage recoil.

User Tag List