Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdraw

Cross-draw is very comfortable, but not very concealable, for me. I have a Haugen Leather lefty cross-draw, for the SP101, a righty Kramer Crossdraw Scabbard for the GP100, and a Galco for the 1911.

A well-balanced shoulder rig comes to mind. This is crossdraw; just a little higher on the body. Not all climates are equally-suited to such rigs.

What about AOWB? A J-Frame, in just about any decent vertical scabbard/holster, should be about as comfortable as belt-level carry can be.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-29-2018 at 06:19 AM.

I too would say this sounds like one of the few situations where a shoulder holster would be a good choice.

Or a j-frame or something light in one of those t-shirt setups made by Kramer and others.

BTDT with the back issues.
    Shoulder holsters did nothing but make it worse for me. My solution came in the form of AIWB holsters from JMCK. The Ruger LCR is absolutely effortless to carry. The HK P30 is almost as comfortable. I find a VP9 to be a little more pokey and uncomfortable though.
    A well made AIWB holster has definitely been a game changer for me.

I wanted a modern take on a shoulder rig (Kydex, weapon mounted lights) and perfect balance to avoid aggravating my back issues. Made by Coffman Concealment - muzzle end is open to allow for G19/17/34.

Last edited by El Cid; 06-30-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I wanted a modern take on a shoulder rig (Kydex, weapon mounted lights) and perfect balance to avoid aggravating my back issues. Made by Coffman Concealment - muzzle end is open to allow for G19/17/34.

Double shoulder rigs immediately make me think of Jimmy Jump.

With serious back issues, balance of weight can help, ala a dual shoulder holster setups, but sometimes you just need to reduce the weight as much as possible. You may wish to check out the Ken Null minimalistic shoulder rig offerings for your J-frame.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    With serious back issues, balance of weight can help, ala a dual shoulder holster setups, but sometimes you just need to reduce the weight as much as possible. You may wish to check out the Ken Null minimalistic shoulder rig offerings for your J-frame.
    Extra mags or a mag and flashlight on the opposite side of the Galco rig can help.

Site Supporter
    Can you pocket carry?

I've used a shoulder holster on occasion when my spine is not happy.

You might consider adding the SSH Harness for the Galco:https://www.galcogunleather.com/ssh-..._453_1292.html it will give you a bit wider straps on the shoulder and makes it more comfortable IME.

I love using a shoulder rig. I carry a Sig P229 9mm (4.5" barrel) w three 20rnd mags. I find it comfortable to wear for long periods of time and can easily draw from both standing and seated positions. I dont need to move or take off my firearm when driving and not public bathroom rearrangements needed. I prefer a light jacket but wear year round under any type of button down shirt - open or closed. I'll just get the shirts one size larger than normal and w snaps instead of buttons. I dry fire practice at home w a laser cartridge and shot timer, covered draw and shoot is about 0.9 second, so not as slow a draw as one might think for cross draw

User Tag List