Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdraw

Crossdraw

Years of carrying heavy stuff on a duty belt and carrying heavy guns in my waistband seem to have taken its toll on my sciatic nerve. I can no longer seem to carry anything behind the 3 o'clock (I'm right handed) without excruciating pain. I've managed to rearrange my duty belt to make it as light as possible and now have the lightest gun and holster possible, but off-duty carry is becoming problematic for me. I cannot carry IWB, AIWB or traditional, without pain. This leaves on the waistband, but not in the traditional 4 o'clock.

I've been carrying a S&W 342 on my ankle for the past year or two. Not a terrible way to carry, but gets annoying after a few hours of walking.

I'm looking to find a solution and am looking at crossdraw carry.

Anyone carry in this method?

Have you tried stretching or exercises to address the pain? I do something similar to this once a day and it fixed my issues. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...WRVORC&PC=APPL

Ive carried some crossdraw, but not primarily as concealed. It still puts some pressure on parts that hurt. I have some sciatica in my right side from a bulged disc near the pelvis. Ive found that pocket carry of a J or Colt Agent works with either Carhartt pants or LL bean jeans, or a shoulder holster of some sort takes the pressure off the hips and back. Probably not helpful for duty, but if you can cover it, is workable for off work time.

Decent suspenders may help some, they have for me. Mine are old fashioned button on type, but theres plenty of modern designs available.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Yes, and I have used ice. I have it under control until I put something heavy back there, like a gun at the 4 o'clock position. That's why I'm looking for a different method of concealed carry.

I feel your pain, literally as I've had similar reoccurring issues. It's a bit of a faux pa these days, but have you considered a shoulder holster? I used one quite a bit years ago during some lower back issues. It wasn't ideal, but it allowed me to still carry a full size service weapon while providing a lot of physical relief.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I feel your pain, literally as I've had similar reoccurring issues. It's a bit of a faux pa these days, but have you considered a shoulder holster? I used one quite a bit years ago during some lower back issues. It wasn't ideal, but it allowed me to still carry a full size service weapon while providing a lot of physical relief.
    Another recommendation for a shoulder holster. I also literally feel your pain. I’ve found a shoulder holster the best soloution when my sciatica / old injuries flare up. I use a Galco Miami Classic.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-27-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Another recommendation for a shoulder holster. I also literally feel your pain. I’ve found a shoulder holster the best soloution when my sciatica / old injuries flare up. I use a Galco Miami Classic.
    I got rid of the Galco rig I used for a 1911, but I'm thinking about picking up another one for my current Beretta 92 EDC. On occasion that just seems like the most workable compromise.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

A friend of mine carries a full size gun IWB at 9 o'clock in a straight drop right hand IWB holster for an IWB crossdraw. Works for him.

Site Supporter
    I have touchy back issues and will occasionally carry crossdraw in something like a mitch rosen high ride.

It works well in the fall or spring months when I can wear a fleece vest half zipped. I don't know if it totally does away with back issues, but at least allows an alternative.

A 3" K Frame in a DM Bullard cross draw works perfect for me in certain times of the year. Like when I'm wearing Carhartt insulated bibs, gives good access with the zipper partly open. Also, just plain disappears under a hoodie.

User Tag List