Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...

I have to consider leaving NJ and I need the PF hive mind's input...

First off I'd like to thank the PF community for it's ~10 years worth of an impression upon me. Most of it has even been positive.

My business (martial arts) has actually done quite well through most of quarantine. My revenue was only cut by 10% for the first 3 months, but now it's about 15-20% down in June. Given the summer months, emperor Murphy's decrees, and people just tired of being on zoom, I'm not sure how well July/August will be.

Now my lease is up in August and a few other personal things are wrapping up by the end of 2020 that might make a move more likely. The most important factor is what Emperor Murphy will decree in the next 2 months that will or will not destroy my business along with many others in my state.

Having made it through 4 months where my revenues are equal to or greater than last year despite this economic disaster only to see it swept away in the 11th hour due to moronic governmental fiat is unnerving to say the least. Even if I can re-open normally in September, I'm not sure I trust this governor to keep us open after the election as we enter the flu season again.

That being said, I'm looking for advice where two criteria need to be met. One criteria is a free state, and two is a potential job situation, so let me make a list for both. FYI I'm in my mid 40s and I'll provide some other details about myself below.

State (in order of importance):
    1. Economic, 1st and 2nd amendment freedoms (concealed carry).
    2. A dense enough population to possibly start my business over or help you expand yours.
    3. Preferably a sense of consistency of the political winds. Like VA and PA concerns me for instance, but I'm willing to hear arguments for both.
    4. I prefer a temperate climate, but I lean towards hot over cold. If I'm moving, I don't want to invest in HEAVIER clothing.

Job (in order of importance):
    1. A state that is open enough now that I could get a menial job just to get some income while I restart my life. I'm willing to do almost anything for a good boss/business.
    2. A PF member nearby that may have a business in the martial/firearms sector that could use a willing peon. I'm a quick learner and I'm willing to work for free as a tryout.
    3. I'm a natural born salesman for a good product and an entrepreneur, so if #2 isn't possible, then I'd be willing to help out a PF member with a business, and again I'm willing to work for free as a tryout.

A bit about me:
    34 years in martial arts and I still have tons to learn.
    About the same years in firearms, but no serious study until the last 10 years.
    Both of the above comments mean nothing as I have plenty to learn.
    I've studied under Craig Douglas (EWO/ECQC) and Cecil Burch as well as the late Todd Green. (I've hosted Craig and Cecil at my own place.)
    All the above is to give you an idea of my interest level and dedication to learning and is no claim on how good I am as the process is endless.

Help me PF hive mind, you're my only hope.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Dover comes to mind immediately. BJJ is the current hawtness, but whatever you can bring to the table.

Depending on how hot you want, Welcome to Texas.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Dover comes to mind immediately. BJJ is the current hawtness, but whatever you can bring to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Depending on how hot you want, Welcome to Texas.
    Can either of you speak on the job situation? I hear Dover, but where in TX, it's getting pretty purple in some areas, right?

My vote would be for central TN. I was born and raised in TN, and will very likely return there after I retire in 20 years... I would move there tomorrow if my wife was on board, but all her family is here behind enemy lines (CT).

Site Supporter
    Consider north of Atlanta GA - Cherokee or Forsyth counties are both booming and "free". Chattanooga TN or Huntsville AL on my list if I have to bail from Canton GA.

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    My vote would be for central TN. I was born and raised in TN, and will very likely return there after I retire in 20 years... I would move there tomorrow if my wife was on board, but all her family is here behind enemy lines (CT).
    I like the idea of TN. Any specific city/town? Jobs, people you know? PF members in TN?

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I like the idea of TN. Any specific city/town? Jobs, people you know? PF members in TN?
    @TC215
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

You'd certainly be welcome in our backyard...but I can't speak to the opportunities as well as some.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Wyoming. Jobs in the oil industry (I can help, maybe), no state income tax, desolate and windy (that scares the libs away).

You’d really have to talk it over with your wife if you have one.
    #RESIST

User Tag List