Page 255 of 725 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    We're crashing the ship into the docks at full speed, to clean off some barnacles.
    Sums up my personal thoughts on the whole fiasco quite nicely. Stealing this.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What if the medical personnel were mostly drawn from the functional infected? That’s one of the scenarios we gamed back in the day for pandemic response... effective utilization of our walking wounded medical professionals and paraprofessionals.
    Which made me think: for the general population, will the first to be infected and get through the illness have a big advantage in the job market? Someone who won’t get sick will probably be valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    CDC guidelines green lights the use of bandanas when your N95s run out. Anyone heard of the Administration placing orders for 300 million yet?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-gup...danas-scarves/
    Cant comment on other makers, but someone has placed orders large enough for my employer to reconfigure production lines to make PPE. Regular production lines for PPE have been expanded to operate at super duper rates. This is all local US manufacturing so its not for export or being held hostage someplace like say China. Pretty certain that manufacturers who have US based capability are doing the exact same thing. Wonder if the invocation of the US Defense Protection Act will mean that anyone capable of making non-woven filters of any sort might be allowed to make raw materials or masks without fear of patent infringement claims... But hey, I'm sure CNN knows exactly how many masks are on order and who has them...

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Which made me think: for the general population, will the first to be infected and get through the illness have a big advantage in the job market? Someone who won’t get sick will probably be valuable.
    Those able to work will obviously get first dibs on jobs if we get that far down the rabbit hole, but I'm not sure about the whole wont get sick part. AFAIK this isn't like Chicken Pox where once you get it you build up an immunity to it. This is like the flu. You can get it over and over and over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Googled "Chloroquine Coronavirus" and there were dozens of hits, this is just the first.

Be interested in the p-f Doc take on this.
    Been used in the Chinese treatment plans I linked a while back and was what I expected/hoped we’d stockpile since remdesivir requires IV infusion which may be hard to get when hospitals get overwhelmed. Again just my understanding and not a dr.

Biggest concerns as I understand it are overdosing and certain underlying heart conditions I believe. Plus the usual caveats if you’re taking other meds.

Site Supporter
    Our county jail is releasing 120 nonviolent offenders on personal recognizance bonds.

Not related to the above is the question that my Catholic wife just now asked which is, "Where is the Pope, he hasn't said anything?"

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    They spooled up pretty quick for the Haiti earthquake, I believe it was a matter of four or five days.

Those ships are an awesome resource.

I remember reading, but can't find the source, that in the case of the USNS Comfort, the plan is to take it to NYC and divert trauma cases to it. Clearly they'll have to assume anyone they bring on board is infected, but their primary job will be to intake all the New Yorkers who wind up getting in car crashes, get shot, get stabbed, fall of buildings etc, and take some pressure off the other hospitals.

Not sure what the plan is for USNS Mercy. San Francisco would be high on my list of possible destinations though.

Edited because I had the names of the ships swapped.
    I know nothing, but maybe, before they activate USNR doctors and nurses, they're checking to see how badly they're needed at home.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Our county jail is releasing 120 nonviolent offenders on personal recognizance bonds.

Not related to the above is the question that my Catholic wife just now asked which is, "Where is the Pope, he hasn't said anything?"
    I think he's in the Vatican, hacking up a lung.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I know nothing, but maybe, before they activate USNR doctors and nurses, they're checking to see how badly they're needed at home.
    I bet that's part of the concern too.

Also, that extends further into concerns about calling up the National Guard and Reserves in general. Quite a few of those folks already have gigs as police officers, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, etc...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Those able to work will obviously get first dibs on jobs if we get that far down the rabbit hole, but I'm not sure about the whole wont get sick part. AFAIK this isn't like Chicken Pox where once you get it you build up an immunity to it. This is like the flu. You can get it over and over and over and over.
    For COVID-19, they're still not sure if you get conferred immunity or not. I assume, since they're testing vaccines, that they think you do.

Again: if you get the flu twice, you got two different strains of flu. What we call "the flu" is a bunch of different strains of virus -- and we only vaccinate against 3-4 predicted strains. (Which are guessed at and usually wrong.)

User Tag List