Page 239 of 725 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249289339 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Don't know what to think of this analogy....

From https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coro...-of-water.html

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The supermarkets here seemed pretty calm, no crowds. People are being polite and considerate.

The home bakers are either busy AF or folks have figured out that if bread becomes in short supply, they can roll their own. There was neither flour nor yeast to be had.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

A question for all the lawyer/doctor folks: Let's say I am a federal contractor and I disclosed to an upper management type that I had been tested for Covid-19 and was awaiting results. If that manager then sends out an email without my consent to dozens of project staff stating specifically stating my name and that I was being tested, have any violation of the ADA and/or HIPAA occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by CG12 View Post
    A question for all the lawyer/doctor folks: Let's say I am a federal contractor and I disclosed to an upper management type that I had been tested for Covid-19 and was awaiting results. If that manager then sends out an email without my consent to dozens of project staff stating specifically stating my name and that I was being tested, have any violation of the ADA and/or HIPAA occurred?
    That sounds like a HIPAA violation at a minimum. Their counter-argument is going to be that they have to name you, specifically, so folks you've been in contact with can self isolate and get tested. No win situation right now...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CG12 View Post
    I am not a lawyer but as far as I know HIPAA privacy rules only apply to healthcare providers and their subcontractors, healthcare information clearing houses and health insurance companies. I don't believe HIPAA applies to a private party to whom you disclosed you health information. However, I could be totally wrong.

Can any of the Doc's here comment on this?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Can any of the Doc's here comment on this?
    See above. It's speculative. We don't really know what antivirals will work, if any, in acute treatment of this disease. We are presently evaluating remdesivir in accelerated clinical trials, but right now it's total guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    That sounds like a HIPAA violation at a minimum. Their counter-argument is going to be that they have to name you, specifically, so folks you've been in contact with can self isolate and get tested. No win situation right now...
    I understand what you're saying, however the specific guidance for supervisors reads, "An infected employee’s privacy should be protected to the greatest extent possible; therefore, his or her identity should not be disclosed. In an outbreak of quarantinable communicable disease or COVID-19, management should share only that information determined to be necessary to protect the health of the employees in the workplace but maintain confidentiality as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)."

Granted, that is just guidance at the agency level, but it actually states that infect people's identities (not just people who have been tested) should be kept confidential. I'm just wondering if, at face value, it appears I should consult counsel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Anyone else seeing a massive decrease in call quality for Skype today? We've been using it for language school without issue, and today it's been terrible.
    My wife was complaining about skype yesterday.

Today zoom seems to be better than normal, but that may be due to changes in our internal networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am not a lawyer but as far as I know HIPAA privacy rules only apply to healthcare providers and their subcontractors, healthcare information clearing houses and health insurance companies. I don't believe HIPAA applies to a private party to whom you disclosed you health information. However, I could be totally wrong.
    This--only gray area would be if the private party is a healthcare provider. Places I've worked have said, even if a patient tells you, treat it as private regardless.
    You're probably better off checking the employee handbook for company specific privacy rules.
    (Also not a lawyer, but been working in research side for 10+ years, so I've gone to lots of HIPAA training.)

User Tag List