Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by AGR416 View Post
    There is a significant distinct difference between competition and gunfights as well, namely that during one of them, people are shooting back at you.
    I suspect that if someone is shooting at me, I’ll be able to overcome the urge to unload and show clear. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I suspect that if someone is shooting at me, I’ll be able to overcome the urge to unload and show clear. ;-)
    Yes but you wouldn't be able to start without a timer going off. Thats why I always carry one.

Site Supporter
    However, you will have to wait for the beep to start shooting back.

I think this whole thread is hilarious. A micro managed ego trip. Just go shoot what you like and for your own reasons. Get beat by pudgy CPAs from a gated community while you trash hardened proven warriors. Wear gear and tight fighting spandex from DC Comics and use the Hubble Telescope for an optic. Shoot anonymously. Luckily your glasses will be a disguise as they work for Clark Kent being not seen as Superman.

Or regard it as, many have said, as trigger time for gun skills with a gun that might have some semblance to a usable carry gun.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 03-16-2020 at 12:50 PM.

But you are saying that because one shoots competition, that the "training scars" established there will override this pretty significant distinction.
    *Could override

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    *Could override

I didn't actually see this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Do it enough, and it’ll become a habit if you don’t actively fight it. I don’t think every hour of competition requires three hours of SD training to make sure you don’t get kilt in da streetz, but I guarantee you can build that in as something that you unintentionally do.

If you honestly think that you can completely separate your gaming techniques from SD tactics, you’re either one hell of a problem solver or you’re a bit ignorant.
    You are making pretty absolute statements here.

Again you claim something, that members of your premier military HR unit in says is not an issue. Are they ignorant?

Sure, you might counter that not everyone is at that level of training. True, but then it points to the issue I am bringing up, that it is not a problem with shooting competition, but a lack of training - probably in both disciplines.

I didn't actually see this post:

You are making pretty absolute statements here.

Again you claim something, that members of your premier military HR unit in says is not an issue. Are they ignorant?

Sure, you might counter that not everyone is at that level of training. True, but then it points to the issue I am bringing up, that it is not a problem with shooting competition, but a lack of training - probably in both disciplines.
    Yeah, all of those guys would probably be at the top of problem solving capability. I'm not arguing that training separate from competition couldn't easily solve the issue, I've simply been saying that there is potential for an issue. I think we're actually agreeing on what's being said, just not how its being said.

Site Supporter
    Being trained as wanting empirical evidence, I pose this. What evidence do we have for training doing you in. There was the Newhall incident which has been pretty much debunked.

However, we now have lots of police and civilian video of gun fights. Can we find a significant number where the video clearly indicates a loss due to some behavior that is 'competition' related. This officer or person went USPSA on the street and lost. This officer or person went USPSA or IDPA on the street and lost. This officer was a Cowboy action shooting and tried to fan his or her Glock and lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Being trained as wanting empirical evidence, I pose this. What evidence do we have for training doing you in. There was the Newhall incident which has been pretty much debunked.

However, we now have lots of police and civilian video of gun fights. Can we find a significant number where the video clearly indicates a loss due to some behavior that is 'competition' related. This officer or person went USPSA on the street and lost. This officer or person went USPSA or IDPA on the street and lost. This officer was a Cowboy action shooting and tried to fan his or her Glock and lost?
    Highly doubt it, especially not in statically relevant numbers. But we also don’t have evidence to disprove it, which is why my whole argument is based around it being a possibility and no more.

The reloading on the move is something we could absolutely test without issue, I threw that out but as soon as I did everyone moved off that subject. I’m genuinely curious there.

I’m learning some things about competition here. I didn’t realize you can’t draw from appendix??? And one or more of them make you look down at your feet before you start?

I have almost no competition experience as I said in my original post but both of those are pretty off putting to me. So then I either have to practice with my holster in a position I never carry it in order to “win” which is a training scar if I wind up training that “wrong”position enough that I instinctively go there in real life. Or, I never train the draw from the competition holster spot and I’m doomed to lose because everyone else there will have spent time practicing from the OWB 5 o clock or whatever is allowed.

If I go in knowing I’m doomed to lose, then there’s no stress because I know I can’t win so what’s the point is being stressed when I lose, and that makes the whole things a lot less useful for stress inoculation.

My assumption here could be way wrong though, maybe it won’t add much time to my draw if I draw from a position I never practice from. So maybe I’m not as big disadvantaged as I make it out to sound. It it’s some some disadvantage right? Even if it’s 0.25 to 0.5 second and that’s the difference between first and middle rank probably?

Also it’s off putting because the coordinators are explicitly saying “we are afraid you’ll shoot yourself so no AIWB” or maybe they’re saying “we are an organization of old fuddy duddies who carry at 5 o’clock and AIWB would be faster than us if we allowed it so screw you it’s banned so we aren’t at a disadvantage and we can outcompete you because ALL of our practice works for both for real life and for competition is the same draw so we get the advantage over you whippersnappers not yet collecting social security who carry appendix”

Is there really no competition that lets you draw from AIWB and make it actually closer to real life? Heck, there should even be a MUC stage beforehand that you have to go through before shooting. Not necessarily timed because it’s subjective but looking down at my feet for one minute seems goofy whereas having a stage actor ask you for bus fare for the 30 seconds leading up to the beep is actually something that might happen in real life.

Again I’m not pooping on competition because I really only did it once or twice maybe 20 years ago, but the few things I’m hearing here sound silly and make me less excited to try.

I’m learning some things about competition here. I didn’t realize you can’t draw from appendix??? And one or more of them make you look down at your feet before you start?
    ***Some people (like myself) will look down because staring at your first target for too long may make you blank out a little.

I have almost no competition experience as I said in my original post but both of those are pretty off putting to me. So then I either have to practice with my holster in a position I never carry it in order to “win” which is a training scar if I wind up training that “wrong”position enough that I instinctively go there in real life. Or, I never train the draw from the competition holster spot and I’m doomed to lose because everyone else there will have spent time practicing from the OWB 5 o clock or whatever is allowed.
    ***One is a competition, one is carry. You adapt. Its not really an issue.

Also it’s off putting because the coordinators are explicitly saying “we are afraid you’ll shoot yourself so no AIWB” or maybe they’re saying “we are an organization of old fuddy duddies who carry at 5 o’clock and AIWB would be faster than us if we allowed it so screw you it’s banned so we aren’t at a disadvantage and we can outcompete you because ALL of our practice works for both for real life and for competition is the same draw so we get the advantage over you whippersnappers not yet collecting social security who carry appendix”
    ***They are afraid you are going to shoot yourself in the baby maker, or even worse shoot the RO. ROs hate that. NDs are a real thing.

Again I’m not pooping on competition because I really only did it once or twice maybe 20 years ago, but the few things I’m hearing here sound silly and make me less excited to try.
    ***Then don't try. This only impacts you either way.

User Tag List