Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensions with Iran

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They did have chemical weapons. They had nerve gas in 55 gal drums they dumped on the Kurds from helicopters. They didn't have a missile delivery system. They didn't even have a missile defense system. Almost every tomahawk missile that was launched by the US hit its target and there were hundreds.

So a WMD was nerve gas. US troops found a lot of nerve gas in artillery shells but none of that was a threat to the US.

That entire war was shooting fish in a barrel. Not much of a threat to anyone but Kurds and Shiite Muslims.
    IIRC, a SCUD was a (not very good) missile. Once upon a time, I got to wear MOPP gear while a couple of them missed me.

Site Supporter
    This is gold...

Name:  71E7EB8E-90BD-47F6-92BF-EBCFCA483B96.jpeg
Views: 607
Size:  29.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Maybe, but consider these issues:

a) Placing a mine under the water line isn't that easy.
    b) Even if you could place a mine under the water line, it's doubtful that one of those mines would sink a ship that size.
    c) Placing an explosive charge next to large fuel tanks could be an effective way to multiply damage.
    d) Maybe they didn't want to sink it. An uncontrolled fire that spreads can cause a lot of damage, including complete loss of ship. Even if the fire is controlled, a flaming ship that's shown over and over in the news gives your organization credibility and sends ripples through the worldwide economy.

This is a very good point. Just because the mines were not employed in a manner that I might consider best practices doesn't mean that it is a red flag operation.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Maybe, but consider these issues:

a) Placing a mine under the water line isn't that easy.
    b) Even if you could place a mine under the water line, it's doubtful that one of those mines would sink a ship that size.
    c) Placing an explosive charge next to large fuel tanks could be an effective way to multiply damage.
    d) Maybe they didn't want to sink it. An uncontrolled fire that spreads can cause a lot of damage, including complete loss of ship. Even if the fire is controlled, a flaming ship that's shown over and over in the news gives your organization credibility and sends ripples through the worldwide economy.
    I'm much more familiar with land mines than sea mines, but a cursory search shows that sea mines also have (or can have) anti-handling devices. As such, I'd add that into the equation. An anti-handling device touches off the mine if you, well, handle it. Seeing those guys just pluck the unexploded one off the side makes me think they are pretty familiar with the mine, or they are suicidal. On land, anti-mine operations when they mine can't be blown in place is a time consuming and laborious task since mistakes tend to be rather costly. Even in training and handling an AT mine that *I* rigged the anti-handling device on and buried myself it wasn't what I'd consider an easy task.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From Military.com:

An Iranian small attack craft fired a surface to-air missile (SAM) at a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone this week, a senior defense official said on background Friday. The incident happened in the general area where explosions crippled two tankers in the Gulf of Oman Thursday, the official said.

The official also confirmed a report from CNN that a SAM allegedly fired by the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen shot down an MQ-9 over the Red Sea earlier this week.

The two alleged attacks against U.S. assets by Iran and an Iranian proxy group are the first against the U.S. military to be confirmed since the U.S. began building up forces in the region last month. The White House accelerated the dispatch of an aircraft carrier to the Gulf region in May, charging that Iran was planning an offensive against U.S. forces and interests in the region.

"There was an MQ-9 in the vicinity" overhead where the tankers Front Adair and Kokuka Courageous were proceeding in the Gulf Thursday, the official said. The SAM that missed the Reaper was fired from an Iranian patrol craft, the official added.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From BBC News:

The IRGC said its air force shot down the US drone in the early hours of Thursday after the unmanned aircraft violated Iranian airspace near Kuhmobarak in the southern province of Hormozgan.

The drone was identified by the IRGC as a RQ-4 Global Hawk, but the US military official told Reuters news agency the drone was a US Navy MQ-4C Triton, a maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft based on the RQ-4B Global Hawk.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter

Now what?

I'm cogitating an appropriate response. Assuming the drone was in international waters and that there is irrefutable proof of this, something must be done. It seems that whatever choice is made, it will be the best of some mighty poor options. My knee jerk reaction is to select an Iranian war ship that was involved in the minings and/or the shoot down, give the crew 20 minutes to abandon ship, and then send it to the bottom. Perhaps cooler heads will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm cogitating an appropriate response. Assuming the drone was in international waters and that there is irrefutable proof of this, something must be done. It seems that whatever choice is made, it will be the best of some mighty poor options. My knee jerk reaction is to select an Iranian war ship that was involved in the minings and/or the shoot down, give the crew 20 minutes to abandon ship, and then send it to the bottom. Perhaps cooler heads will prevail.
    Isn't one of the added benefits of using UA's is that there is no loss of life in a shoot down? No need for a strike back out of honor or spite? Eff em, send them the bill, sue for damages, whatever.

It's up to us to restrain from kicking over the next domino in this stupid game.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm not seeing the need to go to war because the Iranians killed a fucking robot.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The response will likely be some air-to-ground weapons hitting the SAM battery that launched the missile that shot down the GH.

ETA: May not be air-to-ground. Could be Tomahawks.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 06-20-2019 at 07:47 PM.

User Tag List