Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a revolver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

Quiero todos!

The Night Guard looks really well sized.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The blues ones work too.

Attachment 38921
    Doesn't look like you've needed all that factory support every one is so worried about. (smile)

I tend to think all the worry about factory support started when S&W, then other makers, started turning out crap instead of well crafted and inspected products. Quality control is now a return label.

OK, I'll calm down now. Where are my meds????

Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Doesn't look like you've needed all that factory support every one is so worried about. (smile)

I tend to think all the worry about factory support started when S&W, then other makers, started turning out crap instead of well crafted and inspected products. Quality control is now a return label.

OK, I'll calm down now. Where are my meds????

Dave
    Not mine. That is Pat Rogers old duty gun. I have a pretty similar S&W model 10 though.

On another note, I have had a problematic Security six which Ruger was unable to fix. I've also broken an issued HK USPC so everything will break if you shoot it enough.

Parts and armorer support are real concerns for a working gun. For a fun gun, not so much.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-12-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Much like us, you seem interested in real sights on a revolver. We went through this recently too. My wife held one of the new Colt Cobras, and decided she needed a revolver. The problem is: 1) we wanted real sights (she's a perfectionist, and wants POA and POI to match) and 2) we hate the keyholes on the new Smiths.

Important is getting a grip that fits your hand. For both my wife (tiny hands) and myself (huge hands) we like the smaller but full size rubber (range) or nylon (range) grips--like the Hogue Monogrip for the SP101. I can hit with a Ruger and this style of grip. I can't hit with any of the other grip styles. YMMV

We each got a stainless Kimber K6 with Novak-style sights. They have decent sights and are reasonably well made, and ridiculously small but still shootable. We ended up deciding that 38 wadcutter or the Hornady lite recoil 38 special was the round for these.

We got a stainless Ruger GP100 357 with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights. I'll either be getting Bowen rear sights or something similar to make the rear sight "nicer". (By nicer, I mean a plane, flat surface. Instead of the more distracting surface of the factory sight.) Since it is a range gun for all practical purposes, we've similarly decided just to buy lots of Federal 38 Wadcutter for this gun.

We also got a stainless Ruger SP101 22LR with the ~4" barrel and adjustable sights. I'll probably do the same rear sight switch. Also, cheaper 22LR ammo with wider rim bases (like Blazer) would bind up a bit--but CCI Standard and Stinger/HiVel work fine. (This seems not uncommon with these.)

Getting a non-key Smith to be setup with decent (in our opinion) sights just costs too much in our opinion. If you don't care about the key or keeping the available sights, then definitely try a 686 with the barrel length you like.

For a belt gun (outside the pants?), I'd go with the Ruger SP101 or GP100 with fully adjustable sights and 4.2" or 6" barrel or the Talo SP101 2.25" with Novak-style sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Parts and armorer support are real concerns for a working gun. For a fun gun, not so much.
    Problem is S&W will no longer support or fix the tens of thousands of pre-lock guns they made and sold. Their motto is now, "Tough to be you, buy a new one if you want our help." If it wasn't for the more recent light weight models they have made that are great for carry (Night Guard as an example) I'd let them pound sand. As it is I won't buy a brand new Smith, just used ones. A brand new S&W costs twice as much as a Glock and the QC on the Glock is probably better.

There I go again. Where in the (expletive deleted) is that pill bottle? (smile)

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 06-13-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Problem is S&W will no longer support or fix the tens of thousands of pre-lock guns they made and sold. Their motto is now, "Tough to be you, buy a new one if you want our help." If it wasn't for the more recent light weight models they have made that are great for carry (Night Guard as an example) I'd let them pound sand. As it is I won't buy a brand new Smith, just used ones. A brand new S&W costs twice as much as a Glock and the QC on the Glock is probably better.

There I go again. Where in the (expletive deleted) is that pill bottle? (smile)

Dave
    I think you are confusing S&W with Ruger. Ruger sold off all the parts for the Six series guns and will offer you a discounted GP-100 in exchange for your broken Six series.

S&W will still work on pre- lock guns if they have the parts but they will charge you as they are not covered under the lifetime warranty. However there are few, if any skilled Revolver smiths at the S&W factory these days.

I’ve been down both roads.

Fact is you can’t make a decent Revolver for plastic gun prices. I would rather S&W simply have two grades of revolvers with one priced at what it actually costs to make consistently good quality revolvers.

Site Supporter
    HCM,

I personally know a couple people, and have read of more, who have sent older revolvers back to S&W and been told they don't work on those anymore. Perhaps it was because they didn't have the necessary parts, but they still aren't "supporting" the huge number of revolvers they've produced since the turn of the previous century.

Dave

Site Supporter
    HCM,

I personally know a couple people, and have read of more, who have sent older revolvers back to S&W and been told they don't work on those anymore. Perhaps it was because they didn't have the necessary parts, but they still aren't "supporting" the huge number of revolvers they've produced since the turn of the previous century.

Dave
    It’s lilely they don’t have the parts. How old are we talking ? Anything WWII or earlier I would not expect factory support.

I doubt Colt would be able to support a New Service.

Site Supporter
    The two cases I knew about personally were pre-1980 but post WWII guns.

Anyway, not trying to be argumentative. Just a grouchy old man who lives in the past and want's things from that era to still work (or be repairable).

Dave

Site Supporter
    The two cases I knew about personally were pre-1980 but post WWII guns.

Anyway, not trying to be argumentative. Just a grouchy old man who lives in the past and want's things from that era to still work (or be repairable).

Dave
    They are repairable but like cars of similar vintage they are no longer factory supported.

Options for parts are aftermarket, like power custom, gun parts Corp, or, if you are serious, these guys-https://everygunpart.com

User Tag List