Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    No Indian food this week (though I did have a nice Massam chicken curry), no desserts all week, and down to 207.
    Down to 206.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Current weight: 193.0#

So if anyone is interested in the secret to dropping approximately 3# in a week's time, the answer is knee surgery, crutches and pain meds. Gotta find that silver lining.
    Got off the pain meds pretty quickly because the side effects were more unpleasant than the pain reduction. Definitely don't get why people would want to do opioids recreationally.

Been watching my calorie intake very carefully given my reduced mobility. Just weighed in at 191.4, so almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Really wanting to break 200 # by mid June so dropping calorie intake to 2600 k/cal from that ~3000 range I was playing in. Still staying at 180-190 grams of protein, so I'm going to cut back on fats from 70% of my calories to 65%.

I'll give it a go for a week, see how it plays with my starting strength routine.
    Managed to drop from 210 to 208. Waist size dropped from 34.75" to 33.5"

The average daily breakdown of the week:
    2695 cals
    202 grams fat
    42 grams carb
    16 grams fiber
    183 grams protein
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Had a carb up on Sunday (first actual carb up since I started keto in January). Since then I've had a bad week getting back to keto. Hopefully I'm taking advantage of it by really killing it at the gym. Anyway...

I was curious about the difference in weight and size while on keto, and off. So Sunday morning I was 208 with waist of 33.5" Using the Dave Draper formula I was 182.615 lean body mass and 13.04% BF.

This AM at 219 pounds and 34.5" waist I am 188.55 lean body mass and 13.9% bodyfat.

This isn't important, but it's interesting.

I’m in. Enjoyed reading this thread and picked up quite a lot along the way. 43 years old, father of 3. I was overweight but not obese - 5’8”, 185, 25% BF last October. Wife and I joined the local Y and hired a trainer for several sessions for each of us.

He got me started on a great program of functional fitness and strength training. I definitely got stronger. Body composition improved slightly (started to notice my shoulders more in my peripheral vision rather than my belly) but weight didn’t change at all and waist measurement didn’t really change. I actually gained a pound.

Why? I was gaining some muscle, yes, but I was also still eating like a jackass. So towards the end of March I decided to fix that. Using the Lose It! App, I track every single thing that I eat. Hasn’t been nearly as tedious as I imagined. It’s just habit now. And I learned that exercise without diet is the proverbial “pissing into the wind.”

Using the apps BMR calculations, I set it to lose a half pound a week. I think it has me at 1,900 calories. The other tweak I made just recently was to stop entering my exercise into the app because 1) I think it over-estimates calories burned for exercise and 2) adding back those calories subjectively felt like too much. I always had a few hundred calories left at the end of the day.

Content-wise, I’m shooting for roughly 40% protein (by calories), no more than 20-30% carbs. And I’m shooting for as much whole/real food as possible. Typical breakfast - eggs scrambled in evoo, with bacon or some other meat. Lunch is chicken breast and a big pile of greens. Dinner is usually just meat and vegetables as well. Cut way back on fruit, which I used to really gorge on. Carbs, I try to limit to real veggies, some real fruits, and whole grains as much as possible. And snacks are mostly cheese, Low-sugar peanut butter, and whey protein shakes. Beverages - strictly water and coffee.

With that approach I was able to drop roughly a pound a week in the first 8 weeks. Waistline is shrinking and BF down to 20%. And it’s extremely manageable for me. I don’t find myself hungry or wanting for anything.

During that time I also dabbled in Starting Strength. The problem is I don’t have anybody to coach me through it and I’m not schooled in those lifts. So I made some good beginner progress, which isn’t hard. But predictably tweaked my back with bad deadlift form a couple weeks ago. Decided that SS is not smart for me in this conext. Fitness, not broke-ness is the goal, as Mac says. Tendinitis has also been a big problem in the elbows.

So I decided to go back to my trainer’s routine, at least in part, once I give my back and elbows a couple of weeks to recover. In the meantime, I’ve jumped on the DDPY bandwagon and I’m really enjoying it. I had to rev it up to something approaching the Intermediate level in order to make it happen but it’s definitely a better conditioning and flexibility workout than I was getting at the gym. I think combining it with two or three sessions of medium intensity strength training at the gym will make for a nice combination.

My goal is to check in at roughly 17% BF on my birthday, 7/1. Current weight is 177 - goal weight is 160ish. I’m trying to be patient - I’m not naturally patient. The goal weight will happen when it happens but hopefully by the end of the summer.

Overall the exercise part of things has been a bigger challenge for me. Not in terms of finding the willpower to do it everyday but in finding something that really “clicks” for me. I’m hoping DDPY is it, at least partly.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  34.7 KB

Boom, broke 190. I've got good momentum and while I don't think I'd like to be as skinny as 180 would put me, I think I'm going to keep cutting down to either 185 or 180 and that should be right around when the crutches can go away (fingers crossed). Then I can hit the gym, since bjj is a no go now, and start to lean bulk back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Down to 206.
    Down to 204 1/2!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Got down to 203 before the minion brought home something that knocked me on my ass for two weeks. Not sure if ill fire up keto again or just be strict and intermittent fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I had no intention of joining this challenge, but at this morning's checkup I am down a bit over 12 pounds since January. BPs down too, so maybe all that walking is doing some good after all.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Been having a hard time getting back on keto this week (today's the day I'm back in though). For "science" I'm updating the post I made earlier (quoted below):

Still 34.5" waist (around the widest part of my stomach, which is around the belly button)
    Weight is now 226.1 (weighed in after morning urination and before any liquids)

Per Dave Draper's LBM/BF calculator: 195.885 LBM and 13.36% bf

Which means I've gained 13.27 pounds of water and stuff. Thirteen pounds! In 6 days! I've known some folks who get all excited about that massive weight loss in the early stages of keto, then get bummed after they quit keto and the water weight comes back.

Which is why I recommend figuring out your goal numbers after 6 weeks of non-stop keto. I'd think this transfers over to a regular style of dieting too, though the numbers won't be as drastic.

EDIT This difference in LBM also makes for different calorie intake & protein requirements.

Anyway, back on keto today with a new goal:

200 pounds

Then I'm going to switch to a LeanGains style of diet, shooting for 5 to 6% bodyfat. Having eaten carbs all week, I noticed a difference in my performance at the gym. I'm not sure if I overcame a mental barrier or if it's the carb fuel, but I pulled 275x3 (deadlifts) whereas previously I seemed to be pushing myself pulling 235. I'll know for sure by next Saturday if it was the carbs or just overcoming a fear of pulling anything over 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Had a carb up on Sunday (first actual carb up since I started keto in January). Since then I've had a bad week getting back to keto. Hopefully I'm taking advantage of it by really killing it at the gym. Anyway...

I was curious about the difference in weight and size while on keto, and off. So Sunday morning I was 208 with waist of 33.5" Using the Dave Draper formula I was 182.615 lean body mass and 13.04% BF.

This AM at 219 pounds and 34.5" waist I am 188.55 lean body mass and 13.9% bodyfat.

This isn't important, but it's interesting.
    Last edited by Jay585; 05-25-2019 at 03:59 PM.

User Tag List