Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New 11# Beretta Hammer Springs Coming!

adding more to the sample size

I wanted to reply to this thread and add to the sample size so people who are interested in the future can get a better consensus about this spring.

I Installed and tried out the 11# spring in my two PX4CC’s this past weekend, one is my CCW and the other is my practice-CCW. I ran about 100 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 124gr in my CCW and about 600 rounds in my practice-CCW. Everything ran fine. I had maybe two failure-to-feeds which resolved with a tap to the rear of the slide but those were definitely unrelated to the hammer springs. In hindsight the ammo felt really weak.

Impressions on the trigger pull:
    The DA pull feels great and practicing all the DA pulls didn’t leave my trigger finger feeling tired afterwards. With the factory spring, as I pull the trigger in DA I can feel the click when hammer is half-cocked. That can be a little distracting. But with the 11# spring ,the click can still be heard but not as tactilely (NOT tactically haha) pronounced so its nice to me because its not as distracting. With the lighter spring, the wall of the SA pull isn’t as obvious and im still debating if thats a good or bad thing.

My hands are a wee bit too small for the DA pull on the PX4 so having to manipulate my grip and adjust my trigger pull with the factory hammer spring requires a lot of focus to keep the front sight steady. With the lighter pull I now need less focus keeping the front sight steady. Additionally, watching youtube videos of Mr. Langdon describing how he rolls through the DA pull in one smooth motion, I now feel its a lot easier for me to do with the lighter pull.

My only concern is the SA pull is a wee bit too light for my taste. Of course I know and focus to keep my finger off the trigger when I am not firing the weapon. However, im worried in a intense situation or when I take a fall, I will inadvertently slip my finger into the trigger guard. Its never happened in the 10 years I’ve owned guns, but I have a tendency to worry too much. The best solution I have come up with is more training and participating in local IDPA matches and first taking it slow to focus and reinforce the proper placement of my trigger finger.

Overall I really like the 11# springs and I am keeping them in my PX4CC’s

Sorry for the long post.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by learnerpermitted View Post
    My only concern is the SA pull is a wee bit too light for my taste. Of course I know and focus to keep my finger off the trigger when I am not firing the weapon. However, im worried in a intense situation or when I take a fall, I will inadvertently slip my finger into the trigger guard. Its never happened in the 10 years I’ve owned guns, but I have a tendency to worry too much. The best solution I have come up with is more training and participating in local IDPA matches and first taking it slow to focus and reinforce the proper placement of my trigger finger.
    An 11# spring would probably be an epic fail for me. I can shoot a rifle with set triggers that have stupidly light pulls, but when I shoot a pistol with a very light pull, I develop "issues." A friend's old "slant grip" Hi-Standard that had a scary light pull would do rather disconcerting things whenever I tried it, and I considered that pistol and me to be a pointless, if not dangerous combination.

In my PX4 subcompacts, the 12# spring is beautiful for DA, but a bit too light in SA, so I shoot the SCs better in DA than SA at this point in time. As I put more rounds through them and they continue to smooth out, I am convinced that I will eventually be switching out to 13# springs.

gn

Site Supporter
    Since this thread came back up, I wanted to add a data point. In the PX4, the 11 lb spring isn’t reliable with hard primer ammo, in my case with Winchester NATO-spec hardball. It has worked fine with everything else I tried in it. I sent my PX4 D to Ernest for a trigger job and requested the 12 lb spring for that reason. The trigger is smooth enough that it’s not an issue.

Light strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Since this thread came back up, I wanted to add a data point. In the PX4, the 11 lb spring isn’t reliable with hard primer ammo, in my case with Winchester NATO-spec hardball. It has worked fine with everything else I tried in it. I sent my PX4 D to Ernest for a trigger job and requested the 12 lb spring for that reason. The trigger is smooth enough that it’s not an issue.
    I am curious if the light strikes happened from the beginning or if after a certain amount of rounds on that spring you started to experience light strikes?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m up to a bit over 4,200 rounds on my px4ccs with 11 lb hammer springs, without issue.

Site Supporter
    @PX4 Storm Tracker - I had put a few hundred rounds through it before I tried the NATO-spec stuff, both factory and handloads, with no issues. I tried a partial box (36 rounds) of the NATO-spec and had two rounds that required a second strike. I had no issues with either a 12 lb (switched from another PX4) or its original D spring. When I got the gun back from LTT with the 12 lb spring, I ran a hundred rounds of the Winchester through it and had no issues. My two TDA PX4s also have 12 lb hammer springs in them, so the DA is very similar among them.

I just like the Winchester NATO-spec hardball for training ammo, it's really similar to 124-grain +P HST (my carry ammo), and it's cheap and usually available.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 08-05-2019 at 09:52 PM.

D?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ... or its original D spring...
    That is great information, thanks!

I put an 11# spring in my full size 9. I don't have many rounds on it, since I hardly shoot it. It falls into the category of "not my .45". We also put an 11# spring in my wife's range PX4 SubCompact and she has nearly 3,000 rounds on it. I am having her use only cheap Winchester target fodder and I use Federal Champions in my Storm 9. I want her to have to whack hard primes with it. We put a D spring in my shooting partner's Storm 9 full size for full comparative testing.
    Since the best testing would be in my PX4 .45 which does 900 rounds per week, that might come one day. Right now I'm still testing my D spring which is almost at 50,000 rounds with no light strikes.

If I may.... To clarify your statement, "...its original D spring" I would ask what you mean by original? All PX4s... TDA, mono-actions, Compact Carry, come from Beretta with a standard strength hammer spring (I don't know if they distribute the Carry). This would include the type D. Also, the Competition Trigger Group comes with a standard strength spring, just nickel coated.

The term D spring has application in a Model 92D, Cougar D, but the PX4 D does not have a "D" spring assigned to it. The well known D spring for a PX4 is actually a Cougar D spring that is the same size. I'm sure you know this, but as others read I thought I would clarify.

A Cougar D spring will give similar initial results as a Wilson Combat 12# spring from a Model 92 would in a PX4. The Chrome Silicon of the 12# will cause it to maintain its strength a little longer. So, an aged D spring will fall somewhere between the 12# and the 11# in trigger pull weights (according to my experiences and measurements).
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-06-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Springing along...

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I’m up to a bit over 4,200 rounds on my px4ccs with 11 lb hammer springs, without issue.
    Thanks! You have the highest round count I have seen reported.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    That is great information, thanks!

I put an 11# spring in my full size 9. I don't have many rounds on it, since I hardly shoot it. It falls into the category of "not my .45". We also put an 11# spring in my wife's range PX4 SubCompact and she has nearly 3,000 rounds on it. I am having her use only cheap Winchester target fodder and I use Federal Champions in my Storm 9. I want her to have to whack hard primes with it. We put a D spring in my shooting partner's Storm 9 full size for full comparative testing.
    Since the best testing would be in my PX4 .45 which does 900 rounds per week, that might come one day. Right now I'm still testing my D spring which is almost at 50,000 rounds with no light strikes.

If I may.... To clarify your statement, "...its original D spring" I would ask what you mean by original? All PX4s... TDA, mono-actions, Compact Carry, come from Beretta with a standard strength hammer spring (I don't know if they distribute the Carry). This would include the type D. Also, the Competition Trigger Group comes with a standard strength spring, just nickel coated.

The term D spring has application in a Model 92D, Cougar D, but the PX4 D does not have a "D" spring assigned to it. The well known D spring for a PX4 is actually a Cougar D spring that is the same size. I'm sure you know this, but as others read I thought I would clarify.

A Cougar D spring will give similar initial results as a Wilson Combat 12# spring from a Model 92 would in a PX4. The Chrome Silicon of the 12# will cause it to maintain its strength a little longer. So, an aged D spring will fall somewhere between the 12# and the 11# in trigger pull weights (according to my experiences and measurements).
    To clarify, I meant the spring that was in it when I bought it used, apparently an LEO trade-in. I assumed (there’s that acronym) that the D model came with a D spring. It certainly felt lighter than the factory spring in my TDA gun. I have a D spring from Beretta still in the package that I could try for comparison, but IIRC Langdon has said that it’s rated at 12.5 lb so I probably couldn’t tell the difference.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Thanks! You have the highest round count I have seen reported.
    That’s probably because she’s on the range while the other lawyers in her office are playing golf.

User Tag List