Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Costas on Sunday Night football

Bob Costas on Sunday Night football

Seriously, Sunday night football? Why does Bob Costas get to deliver a soliloquy on how that KC linebacker and his girlfriend would still be alive had if only we couldn't have handguns. Reaaaally? Because there's no way the guy whose career was defined by getting paid millions to be as big, strong, and fast as possible could possibly have hurt a 22-yo young woman if only he didn't live in a nation with awful gun culture. They'd probably be playing parcheesi and sipping apple juice right now if only that darn handgun hasn't snuck in and killed them both. Good thing he didn't stab her then cut his wrist, or Bob Costass would be in the SNF pulpit extolling the virtues of shedding our dependence on kitchen knives in America. Bob is free to draw all the illogically ridiculous conclusions he wants (or parrot others people's nonsense, as was the case) but giving him airtime during football to spread his mental disease is B.S. Maybe Ted Nugent will get some uninterrupted, un-rebutted air time during the AMA's to share his views? Yeah, right.

Is it possible to Zumbo Bob Costas?
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 12-03-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: grammers'n'spellen
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Reason number 4278 I don't watch sports. I wonder how many viewers will simply agree with Bob, without any critical thinking or analysis on their part.

Fortunately people hate that guy so it will likely be taken as meaningless like everything else he says.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The video in case you missed it:

My wife and I were seriously pissed when his ignorant speech was over. I lose a lot of respect for people who speak about subjects that they have no idea what they are talking about.

His bodyguards probably carry guns and we know the military and the police that protect him carry them as well. Time to throw them all in the fire and sing Kumbaya.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Perhaps if society didn't let athletes get away with all manner of shenanigans up to and including felony level offenses that disappear into thin air when they commit crimes against the student population of the college that's giving them a free ride then maybe there wouldn't be so many problems with criminal behavior in the NFL.

Or maybe if we banned booze and painkillers...both of which this dude had been abusing for some time...then he might not have decided to off his girlfriend and himself.

Or maybe one day the magic screen will have actual adults in it who have figured out that human nature is hopelessly flawed and that from time to time this will result in horrible acts of violence against other people. While tragic, they are also inevitable because people suck. It is to be expected. Believing that some law or policy will fix the issue is as rational as believing in Santa...less so, actually, because at least belief in Santa doesn't prompt people to try and impose their naivete on the rest of society in a stupid and typically counter-productive manner which results in more of the very thing they say they're trying to fix.

Had he taken a bunch of airtime to talk about how everybody needs Jesus, there probably would have been an uproar and he would probably get fired.

Instead, he tells everyone how they really need to have their lives run by Bob Costas and he's still employed. Apparently giving yourself the title of messiah makes pushing your faith-based notions that a boozing, pill-popping, partying football player wouldn't have hurt his girlfriend had he not had access to a gun A-OK where a suggestion that maybe he needed the idea of accountability to a higher power would be a faux-pas.

...and as a society we don't see a problem with this state of affairs.

Reason isn't just endangered. It's damn near extinct.

I saw it.

Bob Costas is an idiot.

He needs to move to San Bernardino. http://rt.com/usa/news/san-bernardin...upt-crime-003/

God bless,
    David

Blaming human problems on inanimate objects is the hallmark of an idiot. Lets just ignore the thousands & thousands of individual lives saved by individuals utilizing firearms defensively. Sorry Bob, it's in the Constitution. If you don't like it you're free to leave. One last thing, murder is illegal. There is a law against murdering others. People still do it everyday. If they can't connect the dots & see that outlawing guns will stop nothing, then God help us. They are in fact not interested in preventing anything. They have an agenda to push, facts & logic be damned. As a personal protest, I am now boycotting Sunday Night Football. If they're gonna air that opinionated trash they just lost my viewership.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Who is Bob Costas?

ETA:

Let me get this straight: A young guy whose entire, for lack of a better word, 'career' up to this point has rewarded him for aggressively bringing the pain, lost his $#!+ during an argument with the mother of his child and solved the problem with a gun. When his ears stopped ringing and she didn't pop up again at the re-spawn point like in Halo and he realized that he'd thoroughly and comprehensively effed up his own life, too, he offed himself as well.

This affects me how, Bob?

This may come as a shock to you, Mr. Costas, but I have worn a loaded gun pretty much every day of my adult life. I have spent pretty much every working day of that adult life in a workplace where everybody else was wearing loaded guns, too. There was nothing magic about these places or the people in them. They were typical workplaces with all the typical workplace BS that entails and yet... Magically! ...we all somehow constantly managed to refrain from shooting each other, despite literally bating in the mind-control rays you think emanate from loaded handguns.

Wonder why that is?
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-03-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Modern media increasingly seems to me to be an outlet for people who have nothing intelligent to say, and yet insist on saying it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Modern media increasingly seems to me to be an outlet for people who have nothing intelligent to say, and yet insist on saying it anyways.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

User Tag List