Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2A: 9th Circuit Holds 'Large Capacity' Magazines are Protected by 2nd Amendment

Site Supporter
    Thread Drift

"OK I know nothing about the law except that jury duty is lame."

Doc i know you are busy etc. But if we want a jury of our peers, than our peers need to serve on juries.

Respectfully,

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    OK I know nothing about the law except that jury duty is lame. Who is funding these lawsuits and how do I give them money?
    Second Amendment Foundation for one.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Thread Drift

Doc i know you are busy etc. But if we want a jury of our peers, than our peers need to serve on juries.

Respectfully,

DB
    This is something that has been heartbreaking in my almost 30 year LE career. Good people need to serve on juries. Not just folks who watch daytime TV. It is AT LEAST as important as voting.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    This is something that has been heartbreaking in my almost 30 year LE career. Good people need to serve on juries. Not just folks who watch daytime TV. It is AT LEAST as important as voting.
    I agree. I went though the experience, though I wasn't selected for the jury itself. For what it's worth, even the part I did was a very positive experience. You tend to be coddled by the judge, and you also get a good look at impartiality they show, which is much better than TV portrays. I liked mine enough that I still donate to her re-election campaigns.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Yep. This is the irony - but I have also seen that not only do people try to get out of duty but the lawyers are often trying to get the most vacuous people in the pool to serve.

Imagine how the Kate Steinle murder trial would have gone if someone on the jury had at least a working knowledge of handguns? I imagine the defense was working their hardest to insure everyone on that jury learned everything they knew about guns watching NCIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Imagine how the Kate Steinle murder trial would have gone if someone on the jury had at least a working knowledge of handguns? I imagine the defense was working their hardest to insure everyone on that jury learned everything they knew about guns watching NCIS.
    I had to go back and read an article on that one. I'm confused as to how the bare minimum of involuntary manslaughter, or at least some version of negligent homicide, didn't get a conviction, but even more confused about how San Francisco decided that a 5-time deportee who was known to be wanted by ICE should just be released vs handed over to ICE. Seems to me that the whole thing would never even have been possible of the people in positions of authority in that city had their heads screwed on even slightly straight-ish.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I had to go back and read an article on that one. I'm confused as to how the bare minimum of involuntary manslaughter, or at least some version of negligent homicide, didn't get a conviction, but even more confused about how San Francisco decided that a 5-time deportee who was known to be wanted by ICE should just be released vs handed over to ICE. Seems to me that the whole thing would never even have been possible of the people in positions of authority in that city had their heads screwed on even slightly straight-ish.
    Agreed - and the "tin foil hatter" in me thinks the case was deliberately lost by the prosecution (but that's just the tin foil hatter side of me - I'm sure incompetence was to blame instead of conspiracy). But regardless - how many here would have believed that a Sig DAK wrapped in a t-shirt would just go off the moment the defendant found it under a park bench? Apparently the prosecution wanted the jury members to dry fire the gun (or a similar DAK) but the request was denied by the judge.

Oddly enough - I've been looking under park benches for my "free Sig pistol" and have yet to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    OK I know nothing about the law except that jury duty is lame. Who is funding these lawsuits and how do I give them money?
    California Rifle Pistol Association https://crpa.org/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Second Amendment Foundation for one.
    SAF does a great job. I'm a life member.
    Unfortunately, membership in SAF generates just as much junk mail as NRA and its harder to get it turned off.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I've gone every time I've gotten the summons, and gotten sent home each time. I have yet to actually enter a courtroom.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Thread Drift

Respectfully,

DB
    See above. Besides, I don't have a choice in the matter anyway. I think we get one excused absence per 5 years or something, and I have gotten summoned quite a bit more than once/5yrs.

User Tag List