Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawful Self-Defense to "Run-Down" Rioters?

Remember the South African anti carjacking flame device ?

Good recent article by Greg Ellifritz, "How to Survive a Mob Attack on your vehicle"

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...n-your-vehicle

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Good recent article by Greg Ellifritz, "How to Survive a Mob Attack on your vehicle"

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...n-your-vehicle

Rich - you beat me to that link - suggest everyone read it.

Lawful Self-Defense to "Run-Down" Rioters?

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Rich - you beat me to that link - suggest everyone read it.
    Greg was interviewed on this topic on Ballistic Radio recently, good listen if you haven't heard it. Some interesting info.

For instance, apparently your window glass is harder to break if you lower the window 1/2".

I'll track down the link.

Edit: here is the link:

http://ballisticradio.com/2016/11/23...ember-11-2016/
    Last edited by RJ; 11-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Greg was interviewed on this topic on Ballistic Radio recently, good listen if you haven't heard it. Some interesting info.

For instance, apparently your window glass is harder to break if you lower the window 1/2".

Trying to think about the physics of that. Does freeing the glass along the upper edge, which is generally curved so it's effectively 2 sides out of 4, allow the glass to move/flex/absorb impact versus causing the glass to fracture.

This is also reminding me to get cracking with "tinting" all the windows with film, if for no other reason than to prevent the glass from spraying shards all over.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Trying to think about the physics of that. Does freeing the glass along the upper edge, which is generally curved so it's effectively 2 sides out of 4, allow the glass to move/flex/absorb impact versus causing the glass to fracture.

This is also reminding me to get cracking with "tinting" all the windows with film, if for no other reason than to prevent the glass from spraying shards all over.
    Um ya, I'm no expert in breaking auto glass, but something like that, IIRC. Being supported on all four sides makes it more rigid and thus easier for your protestor to crack the glass with the butt of his 'Tolerance Now!' sign?

Um ya, I'm no expert in breaking auto glass, but something like that, IIRC. Being supported on all four sides makes it more rigid and thus easier for your protestor to crack the glass with the butt of his 'Tolerance Now!' sign?
    No expert either but i'm pretty damn good with most things STEM related. At first blush what I posted seems to make sense, but obviously if others have something real-world empirical data to support or refute it I'd love to see it.

And as for the rolling down the window to spray someone, yea that does not seem like a great idea, at least not while the vehicle is intact/safe/functional. Now if your shit is on fire or the "shell" is compromised I could see taking the chance to wide area spray to make space to evac, but then now you're in the middle of a zombie hoarde.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    No expert either but i'm pretty damn good with most things STEM related. At first blush what I posted seems to make sense, but obviously if others have something real-world empirical data to support or refute it I'd love to see it.

And as for the rolling down the window to spray someone, yea that does not seem like a great idea, at least not while the vehicle is intact/safe/functional. Now if your shit is on fire or the "shell" is compromised I could see taking the chance to wide area spray to make space to evac, but then now you're in the middle of a zombie hoarde.

All excellent points!

Keep your windows rolled up. The easiest way to break a car window, laminated or safety glass, is to grab the top edge and pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvQJKfJOako

Theoretically making a car window harder to break with an impact, but really easy to break by pulling is a total failure in risk mitigation.

Breaking safety glass windows is easy, it's all about shot placement, it's really hard to break them by hitting them in the middle. It doesn't take much to break them by hitting them in the corners.
    Last edited by txdpd; 11-24-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Lawful Self-Defense to "Run-Down" Rioters?

^^^ Copy.

Another take away from Greg's talk was that things change greatly once violence starts and/or attempts are made to extract you from your vehicle.

At that point, he was saying it would be reasonable to assume they mean you physical harm and prudent to use whatever means necessary to escape.

At which point for me, it's 4WD Low and throttle up that 800 lb ft of the Cummins.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-24-2016 at 12:05 PM.

User Tag List