Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grip safeties

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Oddly this pistol has me really interested in SAO Sigs. I'm especially interested in the SAO 229 that was announced earlier this year. I wish they would hurry up and start shipping them.
    I own a SAO 226, had a Legion 229 and had an EDC X9. Between a SAO 229 and X9, AND it’s in your budget, the EDC X9 all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    But the grip safety would still need to be the same distance inward to deactivate. All you do is create more movement to reach that point. Not sure if that's as effective.
    Not true,that's where fitting the finger comes in....as you file the tabs on the bottom you get more engagement between the finger and the trigger bow if you leave it as is you would correct, when you fit the finger you are takeing the extra travel required out

Site Supporter
    It wasn't a Mod 2, I don't really know which version it was, but I messed around with a buddies XD a couple of years ago. I had a lot of issues with not engaging the grip safety. I never could really figure it out but I didn't spend enough time with it to know if it was a long term issue for me or not.
    The Mod 2 XD-S is different. Bigger and crazy easy to use. Why they don't make this the standard grip safety, I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Not true,that's where fitting the finger comes in....as you file the tabs on the bottom you get more engagement between the finger and the trigger bow if you leave it as is you would correct, when you fit the finger you are takeing the extra travel required out
    Ah, ok you’re tuning both. That makes sense.

Hammertime
    Oddly this pistol has me really interested in SAO Sigs. I'm especially interested in the SAO 229 that was announced earlier this year. I wish they would hurry up and start shipping them.
    I think they will be amongst the best SA triggers available and seem reliable in the tests I have seen.

I tried hard to like the P226 Legion SAO, but didn't get on well with the straight trigger and rough grips, so I didn't buy.
    I got to shoot the previous P226 Elite SAO with curved trigger and common plastic grips and preferred it.
    Discontinued, of course.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

I think it was Ed Brown that started the trend to very high beavertails that open you up to this sort of misfunction.
    I will have to think you are correct given that the gun I experienced the problem with was a 5” custom Ed Brown.

My skinny, boney hands do not interface all that well with 1911 grip safeties. I stopped using 1911 pistols for police duty, after failing to fire twice, during transition drills that were part of my patrol rifle cert class in 2002. It quickly became apparent that my aging, thinning, CTS-damaged right hand, and the clumsy hand position, caused by the then-mandated duty holster, combined to create a perfect storm scenario.

Had I not been mandated to use the Safariland SSIII/070, that forced me to “chicken wing” my hand, at the outset of the draw, and disengage multiple safety features, I would have been able to better attain a proper grip. I cursed Bill Rogers “in English, and I cursed him in Dutch, and I cursed him in Spanish, overly much.” (Bill Rogers designed the Safariland SSII/070, which is excellent for some weapons, but NOT ALL.) I got 100% proper function with my various field, range, and carry holsters, because no retention devices impeded getting a proper grip, at the outset of the draw.

In time, a Safariland ALS + SLS LEVEL III became the standard duty holster, and I very much noticed that chicken-winging my hand was not required, to start the draw stroke. In 2016, thanks to a policy change, I was again able to qual with a 1911 as a uniformed duty pistol.

Even so, there is imperfect engagement, with a 1911 grip safety, if my thumb is kept on the safety lever, while shooting. My grip is good enough for my Les Baers to fire, so I am “OK” with this imperfection, but the Wilson EDC X9 does have my attention, as I consider 9mm options, for future carry pistols.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-20-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Years ago pinning the grip safety in place was in vogue among some shooters.
    I shot USPSA from 1995 until 2011 and I never failed to have my grip safety pinned on those race guns, at least all of the double stack versions, open, limited, STI, SVI, Para, ...all of them.

I had to. Or else I would have a problem sooner or later, most of my friends in the game did the same.

When the "speed hump"grip safety's came along, and the fact IDPA did not allow it, I had a couple of single stack guns that were not pinned.

Do you ride the thumb safety? And is the gun undercut?

By riding the thumb safety, no problems applying upward pressure on the grip safety for me. I can’t move the web of my hand up enough, while simultaneously gripping the front strap, with my thumb on the safety - if the gun is not undercut. If the gun is undercut, I can get problems.

My solution is no undercut trigger guards.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-21-2018 at 01:44 AM.

User Tag List