Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious things seen at local gun shop or shooting range

During my wife's carry permit exam, I noticed a couple of guys sharing a lane maybe 2 lanes down from her. The one actually shooting at the time kept turning the gun sideways. Normally I prefer to avoid talking to idiots at the range, but I had to explain to them how I'd really appreciate it if they'd quit pointing guns at my wife. I'm not sure if the message stuck, as we left shortly afterward. I wouldn't be surprised if they were offended and just kept muzzling other people later.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    In a more positive note, I witnessed the curious and awesome case of a dude who took a girl out on a date to the range. He brought and older Marlin 30-30 and spouted stock drivel about women being unable to handle such a stout round during the check in process.

Which is why I watched with more then a little satisfaction when she ran the target to 25 yards and out shot him with his own heirloom.

Shoot, if he can get over his attitude, he's found a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...gun shop worker developed "the test." That test was to see if the woman was strong enough to cock the hammer on the J frame (looked model 36 ish). She was, so they proclaimed it a success, and advised she was strong enough for the J frame. She tested one more J frame, a Body Guard looking model, and announced that hammer was too hard for her to cock. Oh man.
    She needs a Roland special: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288...nsion-aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Creepiest one (before I worked at said range): man goes on range. Is seen (later on CCTV) placing a card on the window. Man then rapidly lays down on cement and ends his life with a 44 magnum under the chin (aimed down range). Owners dad is working the counter and rushes out. Obviously, nothing to do. Sees paper on the window that the man left. It says: "Sorry for the inconvenience "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he was actually sorry he would have done it in a bag, at home, away from a fully public place.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Shoot, if he can get over his attitude, he's found a keeper.
    Do not receive this wrong,but I've noted when women pick the guns they'll consistently outshoot their male contemporaries given similar skill level.

Of all the proletariat shooters I've seen cross my ranges doorstep,the ones at the top of my subjective RSO performance scale are all female- and not for the reasons you'd initially assume. Guys bring big guns and brag about caliber and brand. The women bring utilitarian hardware and get to work. No smart man today should decide at face value he can outshoot a female.

One of the coolest sights I noted was a pair of women -one older and one younger- who hit the lanes and did good work with a Glock 19 and a .22. No dudes around to gum up the works with ego and bluster as it were.

Whereas when women come with a mixed group of guys, look out.

Note : there's nothing wrong with taking your girl to the range. I get it ,you want to share your hobbies with your better half. But for the love of John Moses Browning, leave your ego at home. When she shoots better then you don't blame the gun,don't blame the sights, and don't blame it on your latte.

Lastly: if she's not interested stop buying guns for her. Especially if she's rather watch paint dry then shoot. Guns and range time ain't for everyone regardless of gender,but you'd be surprised how many gun crazy guys drag their wives to the range hoping she'll catch the bug. When she's standing in the back updating her Facebook rather then shooting your .40 S&W Whatever, that's a clue.

Rant brought to you by GardoneVT.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Creepier: I worked 2 suicides. Both on the same lanes and carpet squares. Boss man was cheap, so you can basically, see the chalk outline of both deaths (3 separate carpet square colors)
    After the second incident on what we took to calling "The Death Lane", the new owners tore up the carpet and went to rubber matting.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Do not receive this wrong,but I've noted when women pick the guns they'll consistently outshoot their male contemporaries given similar skill level.

Of all the proletariat shooters I've seen cross my ranges doorstep,the ones at the top of my subjective RSO performance scale are all female- and not for the reasons you'd initially assume. Guys bring big guns and brag about caliber and brand. The women bring utilitarian hardware and get to work. No smart man today should decide at face value he can outshoot a female.

One of the coolest sights I noted was a pair of women -one older and one younger- who hit the lanes and did good work with a Glock 19 and a .22. No dudes around to gum up the works with ego and bluster as it were.

Whereas when women come with a mixed group of guys, look out.

Note : there's nothing wrong with taking your girl to the range. I get it ,you want to share your hobbies with your better half. But for the love of John Moses Browning, leave your ego at home. When she shoots better then you don't blame the gun,don't blame the sights, and don't blame it on your latte.

Lastly: if she's not interested stop buying guns for her. Especially if she's rather watch paint dry then shoot. Guns and range time ain't for everyone regardless of gender,but you'd be surprised how many gun crazy guys drag their wives to the range hoping she'll catch the bug. When she's standing in the back updating her Facebook rather then shooting your .40 S&W Whatever, that's a clue.

Rant brought to you by GardoneVT.
    Best is when the little lady comes off of the lane with tears in her eyes because the guy she's with is being such a jerk. I quickly learned how to dry the tears, ask a few probing questions, provide a flash session of diagnostic dry-fire and instruction on fundamentals, then send her back out there to outshoot him.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Y'all are working overtime to make me hate both guns and the public. I mean, it won't work on the former, and the ship has already sailed on the latter, but dang.

Only one I can add off the top of my head that was sort of bizarre: range employee at a typically *very* squared away range/retail/training facility, gets his hands on a stainless 4 5/8" new vaquero that someone has come in to consign/trade. Range guy starts doing all the tricks, Sammy Davis Junior-style: border shift, road agent, the works. It was like that "Enter the Dragon" scene with Bruce Lee and his extended-chain Nunchaku. Or Leo Gaje Junior with a Balisong. Or a 1930's Burlesque dancer's tassels on crack; real CGI-level stuff. I saw more .45 inch hole looking down the barrel of that Vaq as it flashed around the room than I'd see in an afternoon of looking at a target on lightweight commander range day.

Turns out the old guy used to be a hollywood extra for westerns back in the day. The range gig was a part-time fun retirement deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    For reasons that shall not be disclosed, we now have a general order that prohibits using issued weapons for recreational purposes, such as hunting. So...yeah.
    I understand that the Secret Service apparently won't let their guys shoot their duty weapons at sanctioned matches either.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Not a commercial gun range/store, but quite memorable anyways.

Years ago I was an adjunct firearms instructor for the local college LE program, due to also being a state police instructor.

It was a cold day and many of the cadets were whining about the weather, which I have zero tolerance for such nonsense.

The funny part was on a break when a young female cadet approaches me and referring to my Peltor ear pro says:

"Mister xx, are those the ear thingies that take batteries?"

Me "Yes.."

Female cadet "Ooh, I bet those keep your ears nice and warm!"

For just a few seconds I stared at her in disbelief thinking that surely she must be joking, and not dumb enough to think the electronic ear pro, were actually ear warmers..

Internal monologue: "Shirley you can't be serious"..

But the bright eyes and genuinely happy look on her face confirmed that yes, she was serious.

Finally, I simply replied "Yes, yes they do."

User Tag List