Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious things seen at local gun shop or shooting range

Site Supporter
    1. Taking a NRA course for the Oregon concealed carry permit years ago in an indoor range. One students goes up on the line and shoots down the cable that moves the target. Claims the gun has a curved barrel causing the bullet to fly up there in some hyperbolic trajectory.

2. Go to Cabela's to browse. Guy asks the clerk for a pump action shotgun as just racking will scare the BG away. Then says if that doesn't work, he wants some blanks to make noise and scare him. Clerk recommends he get some rubber buckshot too. I say - NOOOO! They glare at me, so I go away.

3. Shooting at an indoor range, it has a giant metal clunky thing to hold the target. I decide to shoot one handed with my non-dominant hand for practice. The edge of the metal thing extends over the 'forehead' of the B-27. I hit the edge, the round or fragment zips down the target in a shower of sparks, cutting it as cleanly as a samurai movie. The edges catch fire. The other guys on the range - ask :WOW, what kind of round it that!

It would be a great stopper - cuts you in half and sets the halves on fire.

4. Just remembered this. At an IDPA, about 5 guys dressed like they came from the Leave it to Beaver era and sausage sack holsters arrive. They are shepherded by a guy who is a reverend who bosses them around and tries to boss the SO too! He's an expert. One of his guys gets up. He has a semi with an attached light and laser. He draws on the stage and the light/laser combo falls off his gun and starts to strobe like a disco. Never saw them at another match (good!).
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-02-2017 at 09:20 PM.

And people wonder why I only shoot from within the safety of our walk-in closet.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Tourists from Germany often came in to do sub-gun rentals at the shop I worked in in Vegas. More than once I had to explain that B-27 targets had no association with practicing to shoot at people of any specific race.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Tourists from Germany often came in to do sub-gun rentals at the shop I worked in in Vegas. More than once I had to explain that B-27 targets had no association with practicing to shoot at people of any specific race.
    In Miami, German tourists were the targets. I guess turnabout is fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Those orange folks are especially shifty.

Name:  B27_orange_-01.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  17.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Those orange folks are especially shifty.

Name:  B27_orange_-01.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  17.5 KB

"I'm not Dutch...I really don't understand your point."

Story #1:
    I was picking something up at Cabela's on Christmas eve. There was a fellow there filling out his 4473 paperwork (looked like he was buying a Sig P238/938?), who "accidentally" says "YES" to the question about misdemeanor domestic violence. He swears it's a mistake, and they get him squared away and he starts over. He then puts in the wrong address, off by a digit or two from his ID. "Well the house has two addresses..." (best I can figure it's a duplex maybe?). Finally gets it fully completed. Submit for background check...DELAYED. Explanation, and he wanders forlorn back into the store. Clerk looks at me, says "yeah I saw that one coming..."

Story #2:
    A while back I had a group from church I took to the range. Guy that brings the slightly Tapco'd but genuine Colt AR and insists on wearing his Serpa drop leg AND Serpa belt holster, buys some 5.56 ammo at the range counter. He has to pay 11.99 for the 5.56 because he doesn't shoot .223 in his AR. Cue other guy who wants to buy a box to shoot through my AR, whom I tell "just buy the .223 it will run fine in mine..." Later, there's some confusion about which ammo is in the mag that guy #2 wants to shoot through guy #1's AR. He was seriously worried about someone shooting .223 through his 5.56 AR. I encouraged him it was fine, but he persisted and never could give a reason. I'm sure one of his "navy seal buddies" told him about it.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The single dumbest thing I've ever seen or hope to see at a public shooting range was when the customer came off the range with the rental MP5 complaining it was jammed. He had it in his hand, at waist level, pointed toward my belly button, with the bolt forward, a mag in the well, and his finger on the trigger.

No, I did not yell at him. You don't want to go startling a fella in those circumstances.

This year?

Well, normally I go to our club or the local indoor range in the morning on weekdays and have the place mostly to myself. I forgot that today was New Year's Day (Observed) and so the joint was jumping with the great unwashed. I popped off my hundred rounds and exited the range with a quickness, just as two guys who smelled like the front three rows of a Cypress Hill concert headed out there to blaze away having apparently blazed up on the way over.

I was going to hang around to shoot the breeze with the staff, but another customer apparently waiting for a lane started field stripping his 226 Legion at the counter with the muzzle pointed at my kidneys. I split then.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-02-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I got to turn away a lot of folks in WI for stinking like weed. I'm surprised that's never happened here in OR.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Elmer Fudd in flannel walks into the LGS, and asks for a holster.

I kindly pointed him to the wall, with Galco, Bianchi, Safariland, Uncle Mikes, etc... I ask him the usual what was he looking for? IWB, OWB, range etc... He started getting real pale. So I asked him what type of gun was it?

He started "umm, umm a pistol!"

Me- "Do you know the brand?"
    FUDD-" it is beside my bed in a drawer!"
    Me- "Does it look like anything here?

He looks through all the handguns and says " I did not know there was this many types! I guess I need to go look at it. Do you have any Booletts!"
    Me- "what caliber?"
    By then he is just overwhelmed, by not knowing the caliber of the gun by his bedside. He just turns and walks out.

This happened on more than one occasion. You would not believe how much derp is out there.
    There are just as many idiots that go to gun stores, that there are that work in them!
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 01-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.

User Tag List