Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richest people in the world 1990-2020

Site Supporter

Richest people in the world 1990-2020

I stumbled across this on the Face Place. I'm not smart enough to understand what, if anything, it means, but found it interesting.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Interesting. If that's correct, 7 out the current top 10 are Americans with a combined net worth of $783,400,000,000. If we were to somehow liquidate all their assets and distribute them evenly, we'd all get $2373.

If you just distributed it to households below the poverty level, they'd get $20,615.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Interesting. If that's correct, 7 out the current top 10 are Americans with a combined net worth of $783,400,000,000. If we were to somehow liquidate all their assets and distribute them evenly, we'd all get $2373.

If you just distributed it to households below the poverty level, they'd get $20,615.
    In Soviet Union they did just that. They also had to kill a bunch to do that. The whole country went down the drain real quick.

History will teach us nothing however and Bernie likes that.

Nice video.

Whenever folks start the "wealth inequality" stuff, I often wonder where families like Bezos, Gates, Ellison, Buffet, Zuckerburg, etc., were in 1975? For that matter, what about the families of Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Tiger Woods, Christian Renaldo, Lionel Messi, etc., were in 1975.

Bezos even factored in a divorce with his $150 billion.

Not too shabbily

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

Or you could just break into Nordstrom and pick up what you want on the arm.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Nice video.

Whenever folks start the "wealth inequality" stuff, I often wonder where families like Bezos, Gates, Ellison, Buffet, Zuckerburg, etc., were in 1975? For that matter, what about the families of Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Tiger Woods, Christian Renaldo, Lionel Messi, etc., were in 1975.
    I thought it was common knowledge that Gates came from a relatively wealthy banker/lawyer family. Not billionaire rich but conservatively stated as "upper middle class". In fact most of the Silicon Valley "dropped out of college to found a garage startup" have similar backgrounds. It's a laudable accomplishment, yes. But it's a lot easier to do when you don't have to worry about being homeless if your venture fails.

None of the American billionaires have what could be called state-level wealth like e.g. Saudi oil or Russian oligarch money. I didn't watch the video but they may have covered the part where Gates could fund the city of Seattle (or maybe it was the state of Washington) for something like a year.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    In Soviet Union they did just that. They also had to kill a bunch to do that. The whole country went down the drain real quick.

History will teach us nothing however and Bernie likes that.
    Maybe, but screw those rich bastards. They're hogging my $2373.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I thought it was common knowledge that Gates came from a relatively wealthy banker/lawyer family.
    You're saying if Bill Gates hadn't created Microsoft, had his family just skipped a few lattes every now and then, while he wouldn't have ended up at number one on the list, but maybe they'd be in the Top 10?

Not billionaire rich but conservatively stated as "upper middle class".
    There is a pretty substantial distance between "upper middle class" and billionaire.

The point is, that Top 10 list changes pretty regularly. Heck, the whole list changes all the time. That's what capitalism gives you, the opportunity to move up, and down, the list. Speaking of which, I didn't see a Rockefeller, Carnegie, Morgan, or Vanderbilt on that Top 10 list. In 40 years, there probably won't be a Bezos, Zuckerberg, Gates, or Buffett on that Top 10 list either. Somebody else will come up with some great idea and make a bunch of money on his/her great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    The point is, that Top 10 list changes pretty regularly. Heck, the whole list changes all the time. That's what capitalism gives you, the opportunity to move up, and down, the list. Speaking of which, I didn't see a Rockefeller, Carnegie, Morgan, or Vanderbilt on that Top 10 list. In 40 years, there probably won't be a Bezos, Zuckerberg, Gates, or Buffett on that Top 10 list either. Somebody else will come up with some great idea and make a bunch of money on his/her great idea.
    "Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations" is the old saying, and is fairly true.

The funny thing about wealth is that if you tried to seize it, it would pretty much all vanish immediately- even with the willing assistance of the people involved. None of those guys is sitting on a big bin filled with notes and coins like Scrooge McDuck.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List