Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LARP Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Um.... Sutherland Springs Church shooting?

Pretty sure ARs are used in many instances of home defense.
    OK, you're right, one well described use. You remember what other instances? I get American Rifleman that runs that home defense column monthly, I don't remember of any but I admit I don't concentrate on those numbers.

NSSF estimates 5-10 mil ARs in US. Say, there are 100 cases of AR use in home defense that we don't know / don't remember of. That's a historical 0.001% chance of that rifle being used in HD. I think that, in a context of this thread, the question is still valid. Is owning AR a LARPing?
    Note that I am not stating that it is, I am simply trying to establish a minimal definition, based on use probability and p-f.com opinion of that.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

If we civilians are lucky, we're all just LARPing.

If you've LARPed your way into shooting a FAST drill under 7 seconds, good job, you're probably also actually harder to kill.

If you've LARPed your way into shooting a FAST drill under 5 seconds, your're obsessed, you spend car money on ammo, you probably war-game your trip to Burger King, and you're probably much, much harder to kill.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    The guy was a heat casualty. The class AI was a 20th group medic who was filling in for Haley who had a family thing. The class was billed as advanced and shooters were fairly high level for that time. Lot of local competitors etc. came out and a group of PJs who were sent around to civilian classes for before teaching.
    Reading this post it does occur to me that I was right on the verge of being a heat casualty at my last ECQC in Idaho. Day three, I admit, I was right on the edge. If I'd gone a little harder I would have stroked right out. I was soaking my shirt down at the fountain every couple of hours and was surreptitiously standing in the shade at every opportunity.

So... maybe I should be suppressing my snark a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Reading this post it does occur to me that I was right on the verge of being a heat casualty at my last ECQC in Idaho. Day three, I admit, I was right on the edge. If I'd gone a little harder I would have stroked right out. I was soaking my shirt down at the fountain every couple of hours and was surreptitiously standing in the shade at every opportunity.

So... maybe I should be suppressing my snark a bit here.
    I’m going to guess that you made it a bit longer into the class than 2 hours of zeroing and safety briefs

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    My memory of the event is not perfect but I believe that is true, yes.

But there was a big guy I'd squared off with the day before and my relief at not having to try him again was probably more apparent to everyone than I would like.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I totally agree, we need a scoring system to describe LARPing. Totally the best way to objectify the discussion. Generally the best way to start is to define a baseline / point zero in a binary fashion and then go from there.

So, ARs/semi rifles are near literally never used in civilian cases. Maybe literally. I've heard there were some 15 mil ARs in circulation, I don't know of any cases them being used by civilians in home / self defense. If one doesn't shoot competition with one, is owning an AR a LARPing?
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Um.... Sutherland Springs Church shooting?

Pretty sure ARs are used in many instances of home defense.
    I'll be that guy and split the difference. They are used in a few. Handguns are much much more prevalent in my files, followed by shotguns. Rifles of any type are a very distant 3rd.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

OK, you're right, one well described use. You remember what other instances? I get American Rifleman that runs that home defense column monthly, I don't remember of any but I admit I don't concentrate on those numbers.

NSSF estimates 5-10 mil ARs in US. Say, there are 100 cases of AR use in home defense that we don't know / don't remember of. That's a historical 0.001% chance of that rifle being used in HD. I think that, in a context of this thread, the question is still valid. Is owning AR a LARPing?
    Note that I am not stating that it is, I am simply trying to establish a minimal definition, based on use probability and p-f.com opinion of that.
    I am sure that Joe Biden would agree with you.

This thread reminds me that I have not shared the true account of the last dynamic critical incident, which I was involved in on the first day of April.

Myself and three of my business associates had been contracted to investigate a local underground natural formation. The local LEOs were understaffed, and thus had put out word that they'd pay bounties to any enterprising party that would investigate reports of what Col. Cooper might have referred to (in less politically correct times) as goblins. We'd taken the job.

We made our way past the cave entrance without any trouble. While none of us had Darkvision, we had payed attention to the EDC forum and our torches easily had the lumens to bypass any photonic barriers caused by natural vegetation. Entering the first chamber, though, we were beset by the goblins. Even expecting some sort of encounter, they managed to attack first, which shows that value of having higher initiative bonuses.

The first goblin started his turn with an edged weapon about 25 feet away (barely outside the classic 21 feet) but easily closed the distance before attacking one of my associates. Frankly, I think he could have move another 5 feet or so, without needing to Dash. Perhaps the Tueller drill should be adjusted for more realistic medium creature move speeds?

The second goblin took a shot at me from behind cover with, I think, a shortbow, but having been a long student of combat, I'd sought cover, too, and the +2 to my AC from being partially obscured was plenty to make him miss.

Long story short, my Wizard associate managed the goblins and any unknown contacts with a single cast of fireball. I don't know what you're on about 15s. If you're not rolling d8s for damage by now, I don't know what to tell you.

Site Supporter
    OK, you're right, one well described use. You remember what other instances?
    There was the pregnant girl in Florida last year.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ar-15-n1076026

There was a recent active response video with an apartment dweller who scared away a couple of guys breaking in with an AR.

Here's an older compiled list, I remember seeing some them mentioned when they happened. (I don't think they all count, and I'm not a fan of TTAG, but they do have some links).

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/defensive-ar-15-uses/

There is also Paul Harrell (pretty sure that was an AR, it is referenced as a semi auto rifle):

https://www.wallowa.com/news/harrell...a84fcdc1a.html

I'm definitely not arguing that handguns aren't used more, but there certainly have been some notable instances, particularly by smaller people and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    This thread reminds me that I have not shared the true account of the last dynamic critical incident, which I was involved in on the first day of April.

Myself and three of my business associates had been contracted to investigate a local underground natural formation. The local LEOs were understaffed, and thus had put out word that they'd pay bounties to any enterprising party that would investigate reports of what Col. Cooper might have referred to (in less politically correct times) as goblins. We'd taken the job.

We made our way past the cave entrance without any trouble. While none of us had Darkvision, we had payed attention to the EDC forum and our torches easily had the lumens to bypass any photonic barriers caused by natural vegetation. Entering the first chamber, though, we were beset by the goblins. Even expecting some sort of encounter, they managed to attack first, which shows that value of having higher initiative bonuses.

The first goblin started his turn with an edged weapon about 25 feet away (barely outside the classic 21 feet) but easily closed the distance before attacking one of my associates. Frankly, I think he could have move another 5 feet or so, without needing to Dash. Perhaps the Tueller drill should be adjusted for more realistic medium creature move speeds?

The second goblin took a shot at me from behind cover with, I think, a shortbow, but having been a long student of combat, I'd sought cover, too, and the +2 to my AC from being partially obscured was plenty to make him miss.

Long story short, my Wizard associate managed the goblins and any unknown contacts with a single cast of fireball. I don't know what you're on about 15s. If you're not rolling d8s for damage by now, I don't know what to tell you.
    WTF am I reading here?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List