Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: So you're an instructor, hm?

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Perhaps that is part of the problem...and I'd question whether it is even allowed under labor laws. If you mandate the training I don't think you can mandate it be done on their own time. Perhaps a scheduled paid day at the range might change some attitudes? What other type of training do you expect the officers to do on their time off and not get paid for it?
    Our training is State mandated and AT MY AGENCY we are compensated with comp time...but that's not always the case here in NC. I know of several agencies that do not compensate their officers for the States mandated training. Their philosophy is that they're hosting the training...it's on you to get it if you want to keep your certification.

As far as a paid day at the range...out of 43 officers I dare say that 1/4 would even show up. That number would dwindle down to single digits within a month or two.

When it comes to scoring at qualification...just last week we qualified (yearly) and we have now gone from the P or F to a % grade, which I like. However, we only use a 30 round qualification course instead of 50. That said, some of the scores I saw needed to just be P or F's. One of the SWAT guys had to re-qualify 3 times before he met the "teams" minimum standard of 80%. And NO, I'm not joking. Kicker, they shoot at least every quarter. SMH.

Foto, you are not in the minority. I have tried for years to get guys to go to matches. It's like talking to a pole.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Perhaps that is part of the problem...and I'd question whether it is even allowed under labor laws. If you mandate the training I don't think you can mandate it be done on their own time. Perhaps a scheduled paid day at the range might change some attitudes? What other type of training do you expect the officers to do on their time off and not get paid for it?

That is not that uncommon. I disagree with the concept but lots of places use it.
    The training is required and days off are shifted so that everyone is on paid status. Problem is some do not like being forced to train even on paid time and especially if it forces them to change their schedule. Can't please everyone. Then again I have had to work a night shift and work OT to teach the classes. It can be a pain. Even so it needs to be embraced not scorned.

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    I wish my agency felt that way. Instead we are the red headed step children sucking valuable time and money from more important pursuits.

On the other hand there is a local Sheriff's Office that has a weekly optional training period open to in house deputies and area LE for free. Outside agencies or officers provide their own ammo. Show up, shoot, socialize. Great option for networking, fundamentals or some advanced tactics with the cost of some time. Out of the current 40 plus members in my station I alone have made the trip more than twice. For me it was a weekly pilgrimmage until I was transferred south. Heading back upstate in the summer and looking forward to renewing my practice time. I so wish more of us would strive to do the same.

On another point as asked in the original post I too carry at home. I mentioned it in an earlier post. I am one of, if not the best shooters in my station and I feel comfortable with my options and choices. I also like to shoot in local matches. I am a very small fish in the local gun club matches. So many (with very few in LE) totally outshoot me there. Many of them do the gun thing for fun and do not carry at all be it at home or on the street. It amazes me that the best shots often do not carry and those disinterested cops I train often do and I am sincerely scared that I am in more potential danger from them.

Unless something is agency specific, we open our training to any peace officers who want to attend. We also very much enjoy doing annual qualifications for retired officers.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    You could come to GA... just sayin'...

Did I mention all the ammo that you will actually shoot and that we have been known to send folks to shoot matches?
    WHERE???... I still have my GA POST valid but inactive...when can I move? Close to Dublin maybe??? I still have 5 acres there!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I changed our policy so that there is no remedial training. We scheduled more than a dozen training sessions. I see no need to remediate anyone when there are ample training opportunities.

Beginning next year, the minimum agency standard will be higher than the state's minimum standard. The way I see it, we aren't a "minimum agency"; so, we aren't going to perform minimally.
    Congratulations on making the choice to battle mediocrity. May Odin smile upon your efforts...for I'm sure most others will not.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    WHERE???... I still have my GA POST valid but inactive...when can I move? Close to Dublin maybe??? I still have 5 acres there!

Two hours from Dublin. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Congratulations on making the choice to battle mediocrity. May Odin smile upon your efforts...for I'm sure most others will not.
    There are some rather upset over it.

Attendance at the training sessions has risen dramatically though.

Two hours from Dublin. LOL
    Dang...thats more than half of the state. What a commute bill.

Beginning next year, the minimum agency standard will be higher than the state's minimum standard. The way I see it, we aren't a "minimum agency"; so, we aren't going to perform minimally.
    Revolutionary. Good for you.

from foto:
    The training is required and days off are shifted so that everyone is on paid status.
    OK, that is a very different picture than the original..."Unfortunatly many of those individuals are quite displeased that they have to spend THEIR time off learning about STUPID tactics and wasting valuable sleep/beer drinking time with punching holes in cardboard AND then having to CLEAN the pistol."
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List