Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So you're an instructor, hm?

Darn--How come now one pays me to take classes and write AAR's? Maybe because they know I will cheerfully write a negative one if the instructor is not up to par...

TR675--First rule of a gunfight takes priority over other considerations. However, I am frequently angered by the number of off-duty LE officers who slip a .22, .25, .32, or .380 in their pocket instead of carrying a more appropriate and effective firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    And if you do have a base of comparison and the class sucks or the instructor spent the weekend telling the world how awesome they are can you say it? It seems to be accepted that you don't write a bad review.
    At least one trainer has told us that he requires all of his students to sign a waiver:
    a.) affirming that they will not post anything disparaging (about him, or the class, or his school) on the internet, and;
    b.) cautioning them that they may face a lawsuit in the event that they post anything disparaging (about him, or the class, or his school) on the internet.

That might skew the data just a teensy bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    At least one trainer has told us that he requires all of his students to sign a waiver:
    a.) affirming that they will not post anything disparaging (about him, or the class, or his school) on the internet, and;
    b.) cautioning them that they may face a lawsuit in the event that they post anything disparaging (about him, or the class, or his school) on the internet.

That trainer doesn't need my business.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

What a wuss.
    3/15/2016

I am aware of only 2 negative AAR's out of all the AAR's I have seen. Surely all classes can't just be that good.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Simply having the ability to pull a handgun from concealment tilts the odds dramatically in their favor. It's not a guarantee, but the statistics tell us that more often than not the people who can pull a gun end up going home relatively undamaged.

I have no doubt this is true, but I've never seen hard data to support it. Is there a source you can share?

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    I have no doubt this is true, but I've never seen hard data to support it. Is there a source you can share?
    I don't have the hard data to support the point but I believe it 100%. I will then ask this: When was the last time a USPSA GM or the guy with all the multicam sash and all the merit badges was involved in an encounter as described?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I am aware of only 2 negative AAR's out of all the AAR's I have seen. Surely all classes can't just be that good.
    The overwhelming majority of AARs are glowing. A small percentage are dispassionate, objective, and include both pros and cons.

A tiny few are negative. Which then begs the question: is the negative AAR legit, or is it a hit piece? And how does one figure out the difference?

I'm usually extremely careful picking the classes I attend asking people I know that have been to a lot more classes then I. Earlier this year I attended my first class I wouldn't recommend that actually set my accuracy back enough to take @ 200 rds to dial it back in. I didn't ask around like I usually do letting my guard down.

During practice after attending the class I saw a decrease in performance and decided to write a detailed long AAR and sent it just to the instructor. I think the class had a few things going against it that didn't help the instructor out but in the end the class wasn't up to par with others I attended. The instructor thanked me and said he was going to work on improving the class. I wouldn't do a thing different unless the class was unsafe. If I don't like the class I don't post an AAR on the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The overwhelming majority of AARs are glowing. A small percentage are dispassionate, objective, and include both pros and cons.

A tiny few are negative. Which then begs the question: is the negative AAR legit, or is it a hit piece? And how does one figure out the difference?
    My question is, can one generally be able to figure out the weaknesses of a class even if the writer wrote very positively about the class? I don't think I can, due to the fact that there is so much I don't know I don't know, but for example, I know one of the glowing AARs of 21st Century Gunfighter on LF prompted a long discussion about the merits of one of the points that was made during the course. So, while the original tone of the review was very positive, the thread itself was rather negative (despite the fact that 21st CG had some positive, non-controversial AARs before). Is that something that we can expect for more experienced/well-versed shooters to be able to do, to be able to read between the lines and figure out what's wrong with a course, even if the writer of the AAR was besotted by the course? Or is there usually simply not enough information to make such a decision, even in an in-depth AAR (regardless of the amount of bias in it) and with BTDT SMEs reading it?

User Tag List