Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder how they would fare in the quest for a good Old Man's Gun.
    I have toyed with the idea of fitting a round butt grip frame to a 4 5/8" Ruger single-ten—the one that comes with the big fiber optic sights all around, and socking it away against future decades.

Fat sights for old guy eyes, check.
    Zero recoil, check.
    A trigger that anyone who can still move their fingers can use, check.
    Cheap ammo for fixed-income practice, check.
    Future-proof legislation-resistant optics (as much as anything can be future-proof, in terms of politics), check.

Sure, it’s only 10 rounds of weenie CCI stinger, and then done, but it beats nothing by a long shot.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Way ahead of you.

Name:  sticks.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  60.7 KB

I’m often found dinking around the outdoors with a 4 5/8 Blackhawk .45. It’s one of my most fun guns. I wouldn’t pick it to start a fight, but I’m not exactly unarmed either.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-death-Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder how they would fare in the quest for a good Old Man's Gun.
    It takes very little hand strength to operate normal-sized SA sixguns. The shooter has good mechanical advantage when applying leverage to cock the hammer, and the hammer can be cocked by either hand. The recoil characteristics are quite friendly to aging joints. (The tiny mini-revolvers are probably exceptions to all or most or all of these factors.) So, yes, depending upon the individual infirmities, injuries, or disabilities, an SA revolver might be a viable choice for some folks, if they have the arm strength to lift and point the weapon.

In the case of disabled or missing index fingers, using an SA revolver as a “slip gun” might be a choice. The Colt SAA, and some number of the design copies, will operate with the trigger continuously held to the rear-most position, or tied-back, or even completely removed. The hammer is what fires the weapon. The legal eagles, of course, may find plenty wrong with the idea of using a modified weapon. I am simply saying what is mechanically possible.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, when I slept with a carpal-tunnel-syndrome brace on each hand, for a while, I kept an SA revolver by the bed, along with the usual shotgun, because these weapons were most-usable in case there was no time to rip-away the splints.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The 4 5/8 in 357 with a 9mm cylinder would be a damn fine everything SA.
    Yup. Pretty much for me. Mine is a great combination. A close friend and hunting buddy insists that I specify mine going to him in my will....

I found that with the sights regulated for 158 gr .357 magnum (Hornady XTP/Sellier & Bellot), the same sight regulation works well with 115 gr 9mm (Federal Champion), so I have pretty effortless interchangeability with just a cylinder switch.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I’m often found dinking around the outdoors with a 4 5/8 Blackhawk .45. It’s one of my most fun guns. I wouldn’t pick it to start a fight, but I’m not exactly unarmed either.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-death-Sunday
    I used to have a stainless one. I wished I'd ordered a convertible instead of impuls buying the one in the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I used to have a stainless one. I wished I'd ordered a convertible instead of impuls buying the one in the case.
    Yep! I love the ability to shoot ACP. Now that I don’t have access to free .45 ACP, I mostly use the .45 Colt cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Yep! I love the ability to shoot ACP. Now that I don’t have access to free .45 ACP, I mostly use the .45 Colt cylinder.
    I don't reload yet and .45 Colt is expensive so I sold mine. I had an Italian SAA clone in .357, that one turned out to be a lemon so I got it fixed and sold it off. For whatever reason it also kinda bugs me that the guns are so large but they only hold 6 rounds of .357 because tradition.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Watched a western today and started browsing single actions again. I should watch a modern war movie so I'll be inspired to finish my AR's.

I am with you BiggHoss

My recent purchase of a Ruger Bisley 45 long Colt / .45acp 5.5" barrel stainless steel was a direct result of watching too many "Gunsmoke" reruns late at night. It just threw a craving on me that I couldn't overcome.

User Tag List