Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got this .22lr POS and now need a scope advise

I know yours is a bolt gun and not a 10/22, but. . . My Brownells 10/22 takedown with a TacSol barrel got twice as accurate when I added this mount:

https://magpul.com/hunter-x-22-backp...tic-mount.html

Group size shrunk in half, when I moved the receiver mounted red dot sight to the Magpul barrel mount. This mount is optimized for red dot, might not be adapted to work with a small scope.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I know yours is a bolt gun and not a 10/22, but. . . My Brownells 10/22 takedown with a TacSol barrel got twice as accurate when I added this mount:

https://magpul.com/hunter-x-22-backp...tic-mount.html

Group size shrunk in half, when I moved the receiver mounted red dot sight to the Magpul barrel mount. This mount is optimized for red dot, might not be adapted to work with a small scope.
    Thnx, I might go that route later on.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I had a Ruger take-down 10/22 right after they first came out and I used a Leupold 2.5x compact scope because it was light and short--when the gun was broken down, the scope didn't add any length to the receiver section of the gun which made transportation a bit simpler.

I really this on my 1022 takedown. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-22lr-reticle

I'm a mediocre rifle shot, but at 50 yards, it was dead on after removing the barrel and reinstalling, even after the move to FL.

Name:  2015-10-16 14.14.48.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  32.9 KBName:  IMG_2047.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  34.5 KB

That's a pretty cool POS!

It really depends on the end use. On 22's, I have had red dots, fixed 4X, 3-9X, and currently am running a 4-16 and 6-24X scopes on my precision rifles.

Magnification is needed if you want to shoot tiny groups at 25 yards or beyond but for shooting some 6" steel at those distances, a 4X scope or even a red dot could be useful. With how easy it is to swap a red dot with a scope using QD rings, you could have both.

If you do decide to get a scope, get something with a reticle that will allow you to hold at different distances. That little PA scope that Les Pepperoni mentioned would be good as the ACSS reticle offers this feature. My 4-16 has a mildot reticle and the 6-24 has a christmas tree style MOA reticle.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've read that a rule of thumb is that you should spend as much for your scope as you paid for the rifle. $$

It depends on what you want out of the rifle. Maybe a 1-10 LPVO with daylight visible illumination. One power for close in work and 10 power for distance shots. Field of view is important when you are searching for the target through the scope.

I have a red dot on one of my 10-22s. It's just possible for me to get most of my hits on the head of a steel chicken target at 50 yards. Past that you need magnification to see.

I have been on a 22 journey for the last few years, moving up through the quality (and price) of scopes. It amazes me how much more I can see through a quality scope at the same power settings.

Another vote here for the Leupold FX-I 4X. This is what I have on my TacSol; very light, good glass.

Name:  A9432E64-8C28-476B-9214-DFFCD5679DD3.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  61.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I really this on my 1022 takedown. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-22lr-reticle

I'm a mediocre rifle shot, but at 50 yards, it was dead on after removing the barrel and reinstalling, even after the move to FL.

What was par time for those groups?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    That's a pretty cool POS!

After the December work avalanche is over, we should get together. Hopefully, I'll have some glass on it by then.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Another vote here for the Leupold FX-I 4X. This is what I have on my TacSol; very light, good glass.
    Might be what I end up with. Right now I am trying to get a 2-7x28 Leupy on one of those auctions. We'll see.

So, to mount a scope to a Pic rail, I need just standard Pic-compatible rings or there's some special rimfire stuff? My Picatinny rail came from TacSol yesterday.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I’d just call @CS Tactical. He can give you a PF discount, but more importantly he will give you free and solid advice.

I’m getting over the “no other bolt gun” thing, but my right eye is still twitching. YVK, don’t you live out west? You need a 22-250 or .204 Ruger to hunt coyotes with.
    #RESIST

@YVK

Regarding the rings-

1. Rings for Picatinny or Weaver rail will work on a pic rail.

2. You need to make sure the rings will accept the tube diameter of your scope... 1", 30mm, 34mm, etc.

3. The rings need to be tall enough so the objective of the scope will just clear the barrel, or a height that will be comfortable with a good cheek weld. With a pic rail in the picture, I would look at low or medium height rings, as the rail adds some height.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List