Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I haven't bought a gun yet.
    Still deciding.
    One thing that's new is I'm also considering Shield instead of just compact 2.0.
    As others have suggested, I would recommend trying both of those options at a range where you can rent them. I would also emphatically recommend 9mm in either of those choices.

The Shield 9mm is a nice little pistol, but I can shoot the Compact 2.0 much better than I can shoot the Shield in the same caliber. With a good holster and placement, the Compact 2.0 can be well carried and concealed if need be, and it seems as if that's not a primary goal for you at this time.
    The Shield is only the superior option for deep-concealment and with very tight fitting clothing. So if I were picking one as a 'bump in the night' gun to be kept at home, I'd be leaning heavily toward the Compact 2.0.

But shoot them both as soon as you can, and be sure to take a professional class as soon as you can. Welcome to P-F!

New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I haven't bought a gun yet.
    Still deciding.
    One thing that's new is I'm also considering Shield instead of just compact 2.0.
    It’s well known on this forum that I am not a big fan of M&Ps. But, the Compact is my favorite of them all. The Shield is right at the bottom because I’ve tried to help several people learn to shoot them, and they seem to be surprisingly hard to shoot well. The short slide and narrow backstrap make it easy to pull your shot off target. Moreover, the relatively long grip adds to the shortcomings of this gun (for concealment).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-28-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It’s well known on this forum that I am not a big fan of M&Ps. But, the Compact is my favorite of them all. The Shield is right at the bottom because I’ve tried to help several people learn to shoot them, and they seem to be surprisingly hard to shoot well. The short slide and narrow backstrap make it easy to pull your shot off target. Moreover, the relatively long grip adds to the shortcomings of this gun (for concealment).
    The more I think, I'm leaning more towards original shield as I can conceal it better and can use as HD and range, all in one.
    I can upgrade the grip and trigger for cheap if needed.
    I will add a 22LR for practice if shield gives me hard time at the range.

M&P 2.0 is good but it's big. I can't conceal it except when wearing jacket.
    Colorado is cold but only for few months.
    We are already having over 70 degrees weather.
    Even in winter, I can't wear jacket at work as there's air conditioning plus I work in front of computer all day so sitting with a big gun for hours will be uncomfortable.
    It's a good gun and feels good in my hands but it'll be only HD gun.
    A lot of guys here suggest to practice at range with the gun you carry so can't do that with the compact as I won't be carrying it.

Decisions... decisions...

Got it. I forget how this thread progressed, but is there a reason you aren’t looking at a Glock 43?

Banned
    Got it. I forget how this thread progressed, but is there a reason you aren’t looking at a Glock 43?
    He said that a manual safety is a requirement on another forum

Ah. I suggest revisiting that requirement

Banned
    Ah. I suggest revisiting that requirement
    He may have. He mentioned trying a Glock 19 at the range.

New to guns and scared to bring gun home...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    He may have. He mentioned trying a Glock 19 at the range.
    That’s good. There’s so much already written here about the risks of manual safeties in defense guns that I won’t say more than that I don’t use any handguns with manual safeties for defense. As well I’ve had safeties come on during matches and cause problems.

If the goal of having a safety is holstering safely, there are simple techniques to learn to do that. And for Glocks, a Gadget.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-05-2019 at 03:23 PM.

I'd add that the 2.0 Compact is S&W's version of the G19. Some, me included, much prefer the ergos of the S&W and just about anything over the Glock. But either is a rock solid choice.

If you want absolute rock solid durability and reliability those are close. However, the H&K P30 or compact version of it, the P30SK is pretty much the ultimate and won't put you in the doghouse for mag capacity. These are guns you buy, clean & lube, and just shoot. They just work. Every time. If you prefer striker fired blasters the H&K VP9 is the ticket but I'm not sure of the mag capacity, so it may be over without going and looking it up. If going with a P30 look at the available trigger and safety options. They are numerous and the downside is the homework involved deciding which one you want.

The Walther PPQ and PPS is also a solid option. Stay far, far away from the Walther Creed and CCP lines. The PPQ and PPS are still made in Germany are fine blasters.

Welcome to the forum AND the addiction!

Banned
    That’s good. There’s so much already written here about the risks of manual safeties in defense guns that I won’t say more than that I don’t use any handguns with manual safeties for defense. As well I’ve had safeties come on during matches and cause problems.

If the goal of having a safety is holstering safely, there are simple techniques to learn to do that. And for Glocks, a Gadget.
    I used to carry 3rd Generation Smith & Wesson's exclusively. I would not carry a Striker Fired gun until one day doing a drill in a class I had a malfunction on my 6906 and when I racked the slide to chamber the next round I engaged the safety.

I did the TRB twice more before I figured out why the gun wasn't firing. I haven't carried anything but striker-fired pistols since
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-05-2019 at 03:48 PM.

User Tag List