Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA Range Ammo Policy

NRA Range Ammo Policy

I was just at the NRA range this morning. Could not shoot because of small bore match this weekend. But, I asked about ammo, and their new policy is you can only purchase one box, and you must purchase range time (or be an annual member) and you can only shoot it there. Also, new policy prohibits me from picking up any brass except my own even if I get permission to pick it up from the shooter.

Ammo prices are getting crazy. I am seeing 9mm going for $500 a case and .45 going for $700 a case.

Commercially reloaded ammo is the only option right now.

CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I was just at the NRA range this morning. Could not shoot because of small bore match this weekend. But, I asked about ammo, and their new policy is you can only purchase one box, and you must purchase range time (or be an annual member) and you can only shoot it there. Also, new policy prohibits me from picking up any brass except my own even if I get permission to pick it up from the shooter.
    The limit on the number of boxes has been in place for quite a while. The number has dwindled as the range's access to ammo has become harder to maintain. The "only for use on the range" rule has always been the intent. Now they're just enforcing it strictly.

Same is true, technically, for the brass. It's always been the rule that you can only pick up your own. Now they're enforcing it in a way that does prevent people from letting other shooters pick it up, and I think that's lousy. It's my brass. If I want to keep it, I can keep it. If I want to keep it at cclaxton's house instead of my own, and I can get him to schlep it for me, that's none of the range's business.

But you also can see it from the range's standpoint. Less ammo available means fewer shooters and less revenue from selling ammo (naturally). Ammo prices rise and the range only passes that on to the customer as little as possible. So the range's profit is way down and no matter what anyone wants to pretend, it's a business and the people upstairs expect it to turn a healthy profit. Then simultaneously you have (a) more people wanting to scrounge brass for reloading and (b) the value of brass going way up. To the range, it's lost revenue to let people vacuum up all the money. I'm surprised they haven't just changed the policy to "lost brass" rules, requiring everyone to leave their brass behind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't just changed the policy to "lost brass" rules, requiring everyone to leave their brass behind.
    I'd be looking for a refund on my annual membership.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    And I certainly wouldn't blame you, don't get me wrong. But I bet a quick cost-benefit analysis would make the idea tempting. There are very clearly lots of people now who are scrounging not because they reload but because they want the brass to sell.

If the range doesn't make enough money to keep the lights on and the ROs employed, everyone's membership gets canceled, essentially.

JV, speaking of brass.I picked up mine the other day for you, remind me at the match Tuesday to give it to you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    JV, speaking of brass.I picked up mine the other day for you, remind me at the match Tuesday to give it to you.
    Awesome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Same.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Ammo prices are getting crazy. I am seeing 9mm going for $500 a case and .45 going for $700 a case.

CC
    Where are you even finding that right now?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It's my brass.
    This guy might argue the point...

CC
    I'll sell you a case of 45 for $650

User Tag List