Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 3rd Gen S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    It was the trigger bar on my 4044 duty gun that broke. Fortunately I dry fire a lot, so I was only carrying a non working pistol for one 8 hour shift.
    I've broken this leaf spring once too, fortunately I caught it at the range while cleaning after a qualification, I do not miss the 3rd gen S&W duty pistols at all.....just my opinion of course, they were heavy, especially the .45's we carried.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    I've broken this leaf spring once too, fortunately I caught it at the range while cleaning after a qualification, I do not miss the 3rd gen S&W duty pistols at all.....just my opinion of course, they were heavy, especially the .45's we carried.
    I carried a 4586 DAO as an issued duty gun for a while. The single worst duty handgun ever issued. Being an FI, I watched as our bottom 1/3 of troops struggled and struggled with the guns to even qualify. The switch to Glock .45s brought scores up in such a substantial manner, that it should have been used as a Glock commercial.

On a personal note, I really enjoy an older Gen 2 S&W 645. Accurate, with an easy to shoot well SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I carried a 4586 DAO as an issued duty gun for a while. The single worst duty handgun ever issued. Being an FI, I watched as our bottom 1/3 of troops struggled and struggled with the guns to even qualify. The switch to Glock .45s brought scores up in such a substantial manner, that it should have been used as a Glock commercial.
    Did you switch from revolvers to the 4586s?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Goes to show how individual an experience can be.

I loved the 4506 and was quite fine with the DAO version; both guns were, in my hands nearly as soft shooting as my gen2 G21. On the other hand, the 645 felt like a 2x4 in my hands and shooting it was like using a heavy recoiling 2x4, it wasn't pleasant at all.

Furthering the trend of individual experiences vary- my first issued duty weapons was a 4566 in de-cock only, with the flat mainspring style grips. Although reliable and mechanically accurate, I could not shoot it well to save my life. The long (front strap to blackstrap) but narrow grip was extremely incompatible with my hand shape/size.

When the agency went to M&P45, I went from a bottom 1/3 shooter who could qualify, but just, to a top 1/3 and never worried about passing the qual. I'm not saying I was a good shot, as the qual course wasn't particularly strenuous.

I later put 1076 grips, with the arched blackstrap and palm swell, on the 4566 after I bought it from the agency. Made a significant difference in my hands.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Story time.

My first regular carry pistol was a 4506 police trade in. Spent 400 on it at the Black Hills Cabelas store, stuck it in a Sig P226 suede holster, and figured I was ready to take on the ninjas.

Months later I shot it in DA for the first time. Didn't hit squat at 7 yards. After a box of ammo, my target looked like an imaginary .45 full auto buckshot blunderbuss went cyclic -so I sold it for an SR9. Which isn't as dumb as it seems, as I could actually hit the target consistently with the Ruger.

Fast forward three years. Learned a few things since those days of total ignorance. I order a 4566 decocker only police trade in,which I bring to the range with two spare mags and a heaping measure of optimism.

I'll never forget pressing out in DA , hearing the BANG....and seeing a perfectly undamaged target afterwards.
    Second try.

I hit the red dot.....on the far right side of the Shoot N C multi target.
    Royally offended at myself I finish the mag in single action. 6 shots in the center at 7 yards.

Now I'm ready to chuck the thing down range. But wait! I can order new grips : let's try the curved ones from S&W

*14 days later*

I load up in DA, slowly press to the rear......

"CLANG"

OMG. Did I just- yeah, I just shot the top of the target holder. Ears burning with embarrassment I emptied the mag in single action into the center.

Seven holes in one group, on a target bouncing around no less.This time I really do chuck it- into the used gun case in exchange for a beat up Beretta 92 LE trade in.

The 4506 and related models have a dear place on my phone screensaver folder, but I'll never own one again. A man's got to know his limitations.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The FBI 1076 grips, which have a palm swell, really make the 4506/4566 feel somewhat between a P220 and a P226. Closer to the P220 really, but much less like the piece of 1x3 strapping the normal straight grips feel like. About 6 years ago I was able to order them from S&W customer service, no idea if you still can.

For purely nostalgic reasons I wish I kept that melonited de-cock only 4566. Probably wouldn't shoot it, but it was my first duty weapon, and the melonited ones are apprently somewhat rare.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    My first regular carry pistol was a 4506 police trade in. Spent 400 on it at the Black Hills Cabelas store, stuck it in a Sig P226 suede holster
    Was this a square or round trigger guard 4506? I ask because Ms.1911 has one of those, and holsters are kind of difficult to find. If P226 holsters fit, well that'll make it easy.

(I've shot the piece a few times and I think it's awesome. Good trigger, very accurate, ridiculously low recoil... The grip is pretty large though. And I suppose it would be heavy as a carry gun. But as a shooter, daymn... Great gun!)

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Was this a square or round trigger guard 4506? I ask because Ms.1911 has one of those, and holsters are kind of difficult to find. If P226 holsters fit, well that'll make it easy.
    Lessons from the pawn shop gun clerk's used holster bin: Kydex is a whole different ballgame, but when it comes to leather holsters, the P226 is the Universal Holster and the CZ75 is the Universal Gun. Also, Sigmas fit most Glock 30 holsters, even Bladetech ones.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    The FBI 1076 grips, which have a palm swell, really make the 4506/4566 feel somewhat between a P220 and a P226. Closer to the P220 really, but much less like the piece of 1x3 strapping the normal straight grips feel like. About 6 years ago I was able to order them from S&W customer service, no idea if you still can.

For purely nostalgic reasons I wish I kept that melonited de-cock only 4566. Probably wouldn't shoot it, but it was my first duty weapon, and the melonited ones are apprently somewhat rare.
    I agree with you on the FBI Grips for the 1076 and don't know why S&W didn't make them standard on the lineup. S&W doesn't carry them anymore, but I got some before they were discontinued.

User Tag List