Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RC Lictor AR Magazine Pouch

RC Lictor AR Magazine Pouch

It looks like Raven Concealment is releasing a new AR mag pouch geared towards the minimalist approach. I ordered one yesterday to check out. I was looking for an easy on and off mag pouch and these just happened to be released while I was searching the net. I will post some pictures when it arrives.

Here's the link:
    https://rcsgear.com/lictor-ar-magazine-pouch
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 07-09-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Looks cool... But not $40 cool.

I'm an engineer who designs consumer products for a living. I have an involuntary gag reflex when I see someone charging $40 for a molded part that costs $3 to make.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post

I'm an engineer who designs consumer products for a living. I have an involuntary gag reflex when I see someone charging $40 for a molded part that costs $3 to make.
    What was really absurd was their old pocket shield pricing.

I felt the same way when a friend of mine paid $95 plus shipping for a 4" long 1913 riser from Unity Tactical.
    Name:  FAST-Riser-BLK-af.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  82.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I felt the same way when a friend of mine paid $95 plus shipping for a 4" long 1913 riser from Unity Tactical.
    Name:  FAST-Riser-BLK-af.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  82.2 KB
    Those CAGE codes add about 28 dollars to the price… and the patent lawyers add another 50. (I’m only slightly joking…)

Yes, but as a product designer, you should well know the actual production cost of a molded part (for what is likely a third party maker) isn’t just the injection shot- it’s the tooling, and related infrastructure. Low volume molded stuff is the worst when it comes to margins for third parties, who aren’t capitalizing the equipment most times.

Quite a different matter if you’re vertically integrated in the supply chain, of course.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 07-10-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Yeah... I don't think it works that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Those CAGE codes add about 28 dollars to the price… and the patent lawyers add another 50. (I’m only slightly joking…)

Yes, but as a product designer, you should well know the actual production cost of a molded part (for what is likely a third party maker) isn’t just the injection shot- it’s the tooling, and related infrastructure. Low volume molded stuff is the worst when it comes to margins for third parties, who aren’t capitalizing the equipment most times.

Quite a different matter if you’re vertically integrated in the supply chain, of course.
    The resin cost for this is probably ~$0.50

Some off the shelf hardware ~$0.15

Tooling? I'd SWAG $20,000 depending on complexity.

Whats their sales volume? 5k units? 10k? Probably pretty decent given they were issued to every recruit of the secret agency.

And I get it, price what the market allows and all... But they could probably sell 10x as many at half the cost and pay off the tooling faster.

Site Supporter
    Admittedly painting with a broad brush:

Generally speaking the board is populated by wonderful hard working folks who are appropriately rah rah America/Capitalism/etc.

YET and STILL

Many piss and moan about an American based company who was on the ground floor of the mass market kydex/injection molded polymer holster etc.business who is charging what they think the market will bear (capitalism/profit motivation/paying American workers a reasonable wage etc.) for a product that will likely work well for an extended period of time by a company with great QC who stands behind their products to include their older .06 ish kydex offerings.

AND THEN

To add insult to injury, often buy a similar product made in the PRC and/or routinely buy goods made in the PRC when viable alternatives are available and they can afford to do so.

A slight digression:
    When I first started texturing my grips, I explored going the injection molded route. Working with a local manufacturer with superlative skills and owned by a wonderful man, it was clearly cost prohibitive based on my market, ability to work the business etc.

To paraphrase the gentleman:

"David I wont charge you for anything but the actual mold. Budget 10k, and when I beat that price, be happy in the knowledge that your second set of grips will be fractions of a dollar."
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Typically I'm wearing pants. Pants have pockets. AR mags fit in pockets.

I don't need to pay $40 plus shipping to put a mag elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Typically I'm wearing pants. Pants have pockets. AR mags fit in pockets.

I don't need to pay $40 plus shipping to put a mag elsewhere!
    I hadn't really thought about it that way... I guess I could get rid of my sling too!

Name:  Screenshot_20210710-103412_kindlephoto-779876337.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  20.7 KB

All kidding aside, it's not a lot of fun riding around in my truck all day with an AR mag in my pocket but to each his own!

I don't have a problem supporting American businesses and hopefully if the product is a success the price will drop.

I will still post a review when it arrives for those who are interested and for those who are not, there is always Fobus.
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 07-10-2021 at 12:51 PM.

User Tag List