Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: A more efficient .38! Step inside for some edjumacation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

I actually just finally got in a back order of .38 Special brass, and am about to do a run of 148 wadcutters. Probably starting tomorrow.

FWIW, if you strike fast, Starline has .38 Special in stock right NOW: https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-special-brass

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yep, feeding would be critical. If you could sort that out, then you could turn it into a damned Yankee rifle that could be loaded on Sunday and fired all week. It wouldn't be as versatile as a Colt 6920 but you could make a nuisance out of yourself for quite some time--and probably acquire a 6920 or two along the way.

Okie John
    I think it would require some modification but it would certainly be possible. Can you imagine the capacity of a 20" lever gun with all those little 9mm length cartridges! , Shooting hot 125s you could have yourself one serious piece of hardware! I think hunting huge desert jacks in the deep snow with one of those would be a freaking blast too!

Another project for the back of my mind

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Back to the 38 Short Colt, if I recall correctly, a gentleman named Dan Cotterman, who at one time wrote handloading columns/articles for the American Handgunner, experimented with a shortened version of the 38 Special. I don't recall all of the details, but his theory was a shortened 38 Special case was significantly more efficient with modern powders and he achieved some pretty impressive velocities. Mr. Cotterman was looking for better performance for defensive/hunting loads as I recall. You may be onto something with the 38 SC. It might be worth a look through the old Handgunner issues to see if you can find the article. Food for thought.
    I recall that concept cartridge from Cotterman also! (We are old, Bruce!) Didn't he call it the .357 Special?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    That makes life easier!

I am using a mix of 9mm and 38 special dies.

BTW, when it comes to long range (as in hundreds of yards) handgunning the LEE roll crimp die is absolutely critical. I learned that lesson shooting past 5-600 yards. I had huge fliers, rounds that would go yards off away from where the others were going. Then when the guy I was shooting with diagnosed my stuff looking for the reason why, he looked at my ammo and immediately recognized the issue.

Short version is that with the roll crimp, and a good heavy crimp, the round has time to build up pressure and gets a more consistent even release. The results down range were dramatic as soon as I switched. I even switched on .45 ACP and groups at 100 yards were better. Inside 75 yards you won't see a difference, but at extended ranges such as 150-200 yards and beyond, it really becomes very obvious. 500 yards is night and day.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yep, feeding would be critical. If you could sort that out, then you could turn it into a damned Yankee rifle that could be loaded on Sunday and fired all week. It wouldn't be as versatile as a Colt 6920 but you could make a nuisance out of yourself for quite some time--and probably acquire a 6920 or two along the way.

Okie John
    I wonder if an 1873 Winchester replica would feed the shorter rounds?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River
    Short version is that with the roll crimp, and a good heavy crimp, the round has time to build up pressure and gets a more consistent even release. The results down range were dramatic as soon as I switched. I even switched on .45 ACP and groups at 100 yards were better. Inside 75 yards you won't see a difference, but at extended ranges such as 150-200 yards and beyond, it really becomes very obvious. 500 yards is night and day.
    **Dumb Question Alert**

All my cast lead reloading has basically been for plinking, nothing too serious.

Wouldn’t a heavy crimp like you describe have the potential to deform/shave the bullet more on firing perhaps allowing more chance of leading? I recall somewhere reading about crimping and shaving, maybe it was with coated bullets (???). Thinking at it further, it would also seem that if there WAS shaving from the crimp, that the pressure and obturation would turn around and negate that...

Something that has been clanging around in my brain for a long time now... insights?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    FWIW, if you strike fast, Starline has .38 Special in stock right NOW: https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-special-brass
    Still there as I write this. They must have a mountain of it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I just got an email from RCBS that they have popular Group B 3 die sets available now. I was looking for some 44 mag dies about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't find any from any reloading retailers. I found a used set on ebay for a not so-great-price. Should have waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That makes life easier!

I am using a mix of 9mm and 38 special dies.

BTW, when it comes to long range (as in hundreds of yards) handgunning the LEE roll crimp die is absolutely critical. I learned that lesson shooting past 5-600 yards. I had huge fliers, rounds that would go yards off away from where the others were going. Then when the guy I was shooting with diagnosed my stuff looking for the reason why, he looked at my ammo and immediately recognized the issue.

Is it possible to roll crimp 45 ACP? Everything I read says a taper crimp should be used. You must be talking about 45 ACP and revolvers. I'm interested in this as I have a 625-8 and I might do some experimenting with the crimps. My understanding is the case still head spaces on the case mouth as it's possible to use the 625 without moon clips. Am I wrong? I need to look at the cylinder now, very curious.

User Tag List