Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNX 9

FNX 9

I'd appreciate some feedback on the FNX 9 pistol.

I just sold mine to get a backup G19. That doesn't mean I didn't like it, it just didn't fit my needs for conealed carry.

My very non-subject matter expert observations:
    -I didn't find the DA/SA to work for me for concealed carry at this time. I'm very familiar with the DA/SA from the Beretta M9, however I don't really have the time to master two different trigger pulls
    -I didn't have a single malfunction with it, performed flawlessly for the time I had it.
    -Initially the magazines were a little difficult to seat, you really had to ram them home, however this became less of an issue as the pistol got broken in
    -Very little aftermarket support for it. Of course you can get custom leather holsters for it, but other than that, not much. Hard to find night sights; no Crimson Trace, etc.

My local range did an endurance test on it (not unlike the ones that Todd does), I think they got somewhere around 20,000 rounds without cleaning before it started to malfunction.

Some people complain about the "plasticy" feel of it, but I didn't find a problem with it. Overall it was a joy to shoot, but like I said, just didn't fit my needs at this time. Was bittersweet to get rid of it.
    Last edited by MadMax17; 12-28-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I'd appreciate some feedback on the FNX 9 pistol.
    Chief Deputy,
    I picked one up used about 2 months ago. I've only put about 500 rounds through it so far, but this is what I think about it.

1. This gun is very accurate for me. One ragged hole at 21 feet is easily achieved in the single action mode. It points naturally and and falls back on target well after recoil.
    2. The controls are easier to get to for my size hands (I use the small flat replaceable back strap) than my current EDC 3rd Gen G19. I like the ambi controls.
    3. I can't say positively, but it feels like the felt recoil is less compared to my G19. (I so wish I had a shot timer, so I could be sure)
    4. The gun doesn't have any sharp edges that will eat up your hands while doing slide manipulations or mag changes.
    5. The manual safety seems to be in the right place and has a positive engagement, but is not as smooth as other 1911s I have had. It is a little more difficult to reengage the safety than a good 1911, but it will do. Not once did I accidentally decock the hammer during quick draws and firing. You really have to work hard to decock the hammer by pushing the lever way way down.
    6. Mag changes are very smooth, and I didn't run into any problems with the mags not locking into the gun.
    7. Full size grip length is very simiular to a G17 length.
    8. SA mode breaks pretty clean and crisp. Feels to be somewhere around 4.5#. Has some take up, but not much at all. .
    9. DA mode trigger pull is very long. I mean long and heavy. A trigger job can be done by a gunsmith to make this better if need be.

Like MadMax17 said, very little to no aftermarket support for it. Dale Fricke now makes holsters for this model. I had him make an AIWB Archangel for me. I am keeping it for now.
    Last edited by tmoore912; 12-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.

I had one for a very short time that I got on trade. I got it from another member here with the idea of 1) trying out the brand and 2) trying out cocked and locked.

1) The DA/SA was somewhat similar to my brand new P2000, but with all the grit of a SIGMA. The DA was probably lighter than the P2000, but not as smooth a pull. The SA had way more of a sponge feel before it broke the shot. I don't know if it would have improved considerably...it was pretty bad. I'm a DA/SA guy, too, so keep that in mind. It was serviceable though, unlike a SIGMA or VP70 which are abysmal and demand the intervention of the beard of Zeus to not disturb the sight picture.

2) It was painful just to hold the thing for 5 minutes and dry-fire. I couldn't imagine doing a 2 day course with it. Sharp edges everywhere, the grip is especially uncomfortable. I would wear gloves if doing any heavy shooting. FWIW, I've had 3M grip-tape on my P2000 for the last couple months, which I do all my carryin' and shooting with, so it might be a case of me being a wuss but I'm not too sure.

3) The ambidextrous mag release was junk. It was not easy to push the button, as it was generally very stiff and would also bind throughout the press of the button. I felt this way about the mag release on an FN Five-Seven as well.

4) With a high grip, the function lever was digging into my right hand knuckle. This made it impossible to decock without really breaking my grip to something resembling how a person who's never received instruction on a gun would hold a pistol; almost like cradling the gun instead of gripping it. This was because my right hand knuckle would physically block the lever from decocking. Since guns come out fast and get put away slow, this was just an annoyance. I might also be heavily biased since I really like the rear mounted decocker button on the HK P-series.

5) I did not find the weapon easy to take off safe. It was nowhere near as fluid, user friendly or intuitive as a 1911. The lever just wasn't in the right spot for my hand in order to make a smooth presentation. It resulted in establishing a proper grip way too late in the presentation, since I couldn't unsafe it with a decent grip.

6) The FNX9 generally felt like it was going to break, or was assembled with material resembling cheap Taiwanese made toys you get at Walmart. It just didn't feel solid and smooth like a SIG, Glock, HK, Walther, M&P, ect. I felt this about about an FN Five-Seven as well, though to a lesser degree.

7) I've never had a mag that was so tight to load. The only time I've cheated and used an Uplula was during one class in which FredM also attended...besides that, I've always used my fingers so I don't think it's an issue of me being new to loading mags. I've loaded mags for the SIG P220, P226, P228/229, P239, CZ75 SPO1, HK USP, HK P2000, P30, P7, Glock 26/19/17/22/23, Beretta M9, XD's, Kel-Tecs, LCP's, Kahrs, FN Five-Seven, various curio and relics.....I don't know, a lot of different guns, some of which had +10% Wolff springs. I have NEVER had so much trouble loading a freakin' mag. Unless you're Andre the Giant, I would seriously recommend an UpLula even just to load up one mag.

That's about all I can remember.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Obviously, I've had the exact opposite experience as tmoore.

Almost line for line.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I "cut my teeth" on a S&W 4006, and sometimes I yearn for some DA/SA action. This design intrigues me, but I have never been able to get any first hand experience with one. The lack of support gear is also a concern.

A discussion started on PAFOA about the FNX-9, at which time someone linked to a thread about the gun not being able to fire in DA when it heats up.

Todd, if you read this, have you considered running the FNX as a test gun when you finish out the Glock 17?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A discussion started on PAFOA about the FNX-9, at which time someone linked to a thread about the gun not being able to fire in DA when it heats up.

Todd, if you read this, have you considered running the FNX as a test gun when you finish out the Glock 17?

Wow...

+1. I have no experience with the FNX, but I recently got the chance to handle and fire an FNP 45 and frankly I was very impressed given the limited time I got to play with it. My impressions were that it was a very user-friendly set up controlwise given its large size and it was extremely accurate. I think a test of a weapon from "off the beaten path" would be very interesting.

Or we could wait and see Todd break in the new FNS-9 that is due out any time now. The FNS is the one new pistol I am looking forward to in 2012.

User Tag List