Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: Biden picks Kamala Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Obviously it's ok for some people. It doesn't work for me, and I'm virtually certain it's going to enrage a lot of women.
    Well, making fun of someone's medical condition or look is actually wrong because they can't change it. Making fun of someone's behavior and choices is opposite. Some things are still morally wrong like sleeping with the married guy, for example. Some women could be enraged while some will actually not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    is she really.....

an ANCHOR BABEEEEE?!

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...bidens_vp.html
    FFS, please no!

Emphasis mine....

14th.
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natura...citizen_clause

I still think Barry Obama's got some skeletons in his citizenship closet. Like maybe applying to Harvard and Columbia as a Foreign student from Indonesia and reaping admission and financial benefits therefrom. Just my guessing. But I still think both he and KH are sufficiently citizens to hold the office.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    So making fun of someone's medical condition or look is okay but making fun of someone promoting her career through the relationship with the married politician who is 30 years older is not?
    ...while claiming to be a progressive feminist. There's a word for people who say one thing and do another. But it matters little, as most voters who claim principle have already established the criteria that will determine their vote and the rest will likely be influenced not by logic or some moral code or long term aspirations, but rather by self interest and how it is effected by the situation as perceived come this November. Unless of course someone figures out how to rig the results say by manipulation of mail in ballots in swing states.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Well, making fun of someone's medical condition or look is actually wrong because they can't change it. Making fun of someone's behavior and choices is opposite. Some things are still morally wrong like sleeping with the married guy, for example. Some women could be enraged while some will actually not.
    Good points. Making fun of people is often assholish, and I'll own that.

Joe is a creepy pedophilic old fart, and is obviously going senile. I enjoy mocking him, and would do it to his face. Interestingly, even people who will vote for him don't seem to come to his defense.

Elizabeth Warren scares me because she is a politically capable operator who is opposed to many of the things I value. It's laughable that she claims to be native american, so that's an easy target. And I am very glad she isn't the VP pick.

And who doesn't like to mock the Donald? He is a walking, talking joke of a president. But he's our joke, and I'm voting for him.

Kamala Harris... she's a serious threat. I'm not sure what the best approach is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't calling her a whore.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Really? Most times women are repulsed by other women who sleep their way to success. It generally gets viewed as promoting such misogynistic behaviors and cultivating a culture of sexual abuse by male supervisors.

It very much depends on distance (the more immediate the situation, the more offense, IME).

Bringing this up as an issue invites discussion of how hard it is for women to get into positions of power, whether these allegations are just coming up due to misogyny.....I can't see it helping Trump much.

Using "California politician " as a frame allows her view on open borders and everything else to be brought into play. And it's probably usable as a "dog whistle " that brings up "sleeping her way to the top" to voters who care.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

I don't think every remark directed at Harris, Ilhan Omar or Ocasio-Cortez is something that immediately merits the playing of the race card. Like racism itself, that sort of automatic response also has negative results...primarily on free speech and the fabric of our society, imho.
    I agree for the most part, but I feel the use of the word "ho" was the problem in this case. Calling her a slut or a skank still be sexist and crude but would not have had the racial connotations that come with using African American slang. I might think AOC is crazy, but if I said "that mamacita's loco" I'd expect to be called out on it, as it would be deliberately drawing attention to her ethnicity for no valid rhetorical purpose.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Really? Most times women are repulsed by other women who sleep their way to success. It generally gets viewed as promoting such misogynistic behaviors and cultivating a culture of sexual abuse by male supervisors.
    The term Ho doesn't come close to explaining that amount of background. Nearly nobody is going to get from "Ho" to "actually slept her way up the ladder", just from reading "Ho", which can mean other things that do not involve getting promoted at work.

Calling Joe senile is self evident.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Kamala Harris... she's a serious threat. I'm not sure what the best approach is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't calling her a whore.
    I would just run Tulsi Gabbard's indictment of Harris on loop....

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Though I was one of the first here to state my opinions on Harris' intelligence and that she was an adversary to take seriously, I don't see the satire or remarks directed at her as fundamentally different than those which were hurled at Hillary or Elizabeth Warren, by way of example.

I don't think every remark directed at Harris, Ilhan Omar or Ocasio-Cortez is something that immediately merits the playing of the race card. Like racism itself, that sort of automatic response also has negative results...primarily on free speech and the fabric of our society, imho.
    But the question is, do you step on to a race card landmine by your own words?

Calling a brown-skinned woman a "ho" is every bit that, as much as using The Word Forbidden to White Folks in public if you're White. It may pass as OK between groups of men. Not in mixed company, for the most part.

In an era where the "why" of the racial make-up of Black Americans is being talked about much more (White male slave owners raping their "property" on a regular schedule and on a massive scale), "ho" is a very charged word. Shit, it didn't work out well for Imus a while back.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    I agree for the most part, but I feel the use of the word "ho" was the problem in this case. Calling her a slut or a skank still be sexist and crude but would not have had the racial connotations that come with using African American slang. I might think AOC is crazy, but if I said "that mamacita's loco" I'd expect to be called out on it, as it would be deliberately drawing attention to her ethnicity for no valid rhetorical purpose.
    Well, I did preface my remarks by saying I don't think "every" remark...folks are just going to have to be adult enough to know when to say when.

Next someone's going to find fault with saying that Pocahontas is one arrow short in her quiver. (I'm not sure that the tribe would disagree.)
    (That's a joke in case it's not clear.)

Personally, I don't think that "mamacita" would be offensive for drawing attention to ethnicity...but for drawing attention to someone's being perceived as "hot". During my 35 years living in NYC, and 17 years in Miami, (and as someone who was near fluent in Spanish), I rarely if ever heard the term being used toward a "plain" looking woman.

Anyway, like Clusterfrack and Potter Stewart before him alluded to, we need to know it when we see, (read, hear), it.

(I have never condoned the term "ho" here, so please do not take me to task nor make me apologize for the choices of others.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List