Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Walls work pretty good...not getting paid kind of sucks. Mexico was just handed an amount of U.S. cash nearly equal to the amount being fought over for “The Wall” so they can do (stuff) and no one even blinked an eye, we will see no return on that investment (IMHO). The river in TX does nothing to stop people crossing the international border and does not channelize the traffic to areas where it can be effectively worked with boots on the ground assisted by various technologies and air assets.

BTW: The USBP is currently (well maybe not during the shutdown) hiring (were approximately 7,000 Agents short of where we are supposed to be and approximately 2,000 below Congressionaly mandated staffing levels).

So... I should look for a rich woman, or one that makes decent money, considering I’m going into CBP. Noted. [emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    When Obama wouldn’t sign the funding bill, it was congresses fault.
    Irrelevant to the current situation. You can do better than that.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

“The Wall” and merits thereof aren’t the point, at all.

Sure it’s the topic of note , but the big problem isn’t the wall or Trump or Congress or the Ds or the Rs. It’s the fact our elected representatives as a group have lost sight of what their jobs are. This isn’t Trumps fault or Bush’s fault or Obama’s fault or Pelosi’s fault; it’s the whole enchilada folks.

If these folks possessed a shred of responsibility to their electorate, they’d have hashed this out last year. As in before the fiscal year ended. Far as I am concerned the entire executive and legislative branch is responsible for this mess.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

At the risk of brevity and a few beers:

My (land management agency) office is not funded and, thanks to vacation, I have not been in the office for about a month.

We are missing inter-agency planning meetings and collaboration meetings with private/corportate partners; if we can't get traction on some of these projects they will get dropped to FY20. I have people and small businesses waiting on me to get back to the office; some individual's have their sole source of income waiting on approval from my shop. We are also supposed to be hiring firefighters... which is a wholly different post in its own right.

If you are an outdoorsman and/or enjoy your public lands getting managed and maintained, I would encourage you to write your representatives and encourage them to end this temper tantrum.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    If these folks possessed a shred of responsibility to their electorate, they’d have hashed this out last year. As in before the fiscal year ended. Far as I am concerned the entire executive and legislative branch is responsible for this mess.
    Oh, well, then accept my apologies. I'm sorry for whatever I and the multitude of executive branch employees on this website did to cause this event.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Irrelevant to the current situation. You can do better than that.
    Completely relevant to my initial post that you quoted. In fact, it’s the only point I made in that post. Therefore, your points are irrelevant to the post you quoted.

I’m not saying your points are irrelevant in general, despite disagreeing with you.
    Last edited by Bucky; 01-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Just saw this on FB, posted by a friend and trainer/mentor who's a no-shit BTDT DoD guy. Anyone else see this in their life yet? unacceptable...

"You can’t make this up. Just notified after two missed checks as a Fed I lose my dental and vision. And after three I lose my retirement and will be billed for the lack of payments owed. If I don’t pay them it will become taxable income. Hahahaha! You couldn’t make this shit more funny if it was a Benny Hill skit..."

Just curious as if to it's really the total goat rope it looks like from the outside.
    That is just flat out wrong regarding insurance. Both my health and dental providers have on their splash page, that coverage will continue uninterrupted.....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That’s because they are not really military. The military (DoD) is funded right now. Even during previous shut downs only the DoD civilians went on furlough or worked without pay. Uniform members were always paid. The Coasties are a hybrid organization and are para-military. They are more LE than military and part of DHS now (formerly DOT) which is why Posse Comitatus doesn’t apply to them. Only when called up by the Navy are they a part of the DoD.
    I am only contributing to this thread to correct this statement which is a common misunderstanding.

The Coast Guard is always a branch of the military.
    10 U.S. Code § 101 - Definitions
    (4)The term “armed forces” means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.
    That's direct from US Code and is the definition of "armed forces" or in common parlance "the military." They are the only branch of the military that does not fall under the operational control of the DoD, which doesn't affect their status as a branch of the Armed Forces. Members of the Coast Guard are entitled to the same pay rates and benefits as members of the DoD branches of the military.

The reason they're not getting funded right now is because as correctly stated, they're part of Homeland and not the DoD, and Homeland's funding was one of the major bones of contention in the appropriation that everyone was fighting over. Regardless, to say they're "not really" military or "para-military" is just fucking dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Oh, well, then accept my apologies. I'm sorry for whatever I and the multitude of executive branch employees on this website did to cause this event.
    The Executive Branch is headed by two people; ergo the use of the plural. I was not referencing the support staff, as they actually do their jobs.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List