Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RDS choices for M&P Compact 4" optics-ready

Site Supporter
    ^So...that is a bummer as I have my SRO inbound.

Is the issue with the "false dot in low-angle sunlight" universal, or limited to certain SRO's? Is it a total show-stopper, as in return mine and swap out for an RMR?

The low sun angle issue can affect most optics. I have no experience with the Sig Romeo 3 or C-More, but a fair amount with the RMR, SRO, Leupold DeltaPoint Pro, ACRO, and a bunch of Holosun optics.

All of them have the issue to one extent or another. Since the optic window is essentially a wavelength specific mirror designed to reflect the reticle color, if light enters the window and reflects off the red emitter or emitter window, false (phantom) dots can appear. To me, the ACRO is best at defeating this and the Holosun 509T isn't bad. The Leupold DPP is the worst and the SRO is not as bad as the DPP but worse than the ACRO, RMRs, and Holosuns. Oddly enough, my Holosun 508T-GR reflects red phantom dots while the actual reticle is green, so that's cool. Also, the ability of the Holosun to switch reticles when low sun might be encountered is a cool thing, because the phantom dots won't be confused with the circle-dot.

The low sun angle issue is certainly not a dealbreaker and can be mitigated with training and understanding of what is happening, when, and why. As I mentioned, I'd run an SRO on duty without hesitation and have used it in every lighting condition from daybreak to sunset and in darkness, in conjunction with a weapon light and a hand-held light and it's my favorite shooting optic. If it weren't for my fondness for enclosed emitters for duty use it would be my clear-cut #1. Every optic has its advantages and disadvantages and the SRO is still a beast with a lot going for it.

Get your dot... shoot it. Enjoy it. Learn about it. You'll be buying more soon.

Site Supporter
    SRO came in today, love the clarity of the 5 moa dot and FOV.

A newbie Q: The SRO is right up to the edge of the ejection port. Is that likely to cause a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    SRO came in today, love the clarity of the 5 moa dot and FOV.

A newbie Q: The SRO is right up to the edge of the ejection port. Is that likely to cause a problem?

Nope... 10,000 rounds at an impossible one-person pace and a a dozen or so thousand through other samples says it will grow a carbon beard at the bottom of it but it will not cause a problem.

Most of those rounds were on M&P 2.0 COREs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Nope... 10,000 rounds at an impossible one-person pace and a a dozen or so thousand through other samples says it will grow a carbon beard at the bottom of it but it will not cause a problem.

Most of those rounds were on M&P 2.0 COREs.
    I hate to be Debbie Downer. Until Saturday, I would have agreed with you, but part way through a match, I had a stoppage, which I cleared and moved on from. Here is a screenshot from the stage video.

Name:  11F2EEEA-DD99-4B3E-B56A-8EDD17F47517.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  32.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In case the resolution isn’t good enough to see, the case is wedged under the snorkel of the SRO. Five inch CORE, OEM RSA and Federal Syntech 150.

Site Supporter
    I do not think you guys should keep those SROs - killed in the streets and all. I will take any orphaned SROs and provide good homes - think of it as "green" as I repurpose those optics.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I hate to be Debbie Downer. Until Saturday, I would have agreed with you, but part way through a match, I had a stoppage, which I cleared and moved on from. Here is a screenshot from the stage video.

Name:  11F2EEEA-DD99-4B3E-B56A-8EDD17F47517.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  32.9 KB
    My experience is that our formal (witnessed by multiple people and documented) 10,000 round test, coupled with multiple instructor’s 8.5 months and in some cases more of training over thousands to tens of thousands of rounds each to the dozens of end-users who each shoot over 1,200 rounds in the pistol optic certification course with COREs and many of them the 5” model, and that is the first malfunction I’ve seen with an SRO- and being that the casing was primarily stuck in the ejection port (there is insufficient room for the casing to wedge under the optic unless it’s still in the ejection port) and the fact that the casing is clearly above the extractor rather than being ejected normally all lead me to wonder if the ammo has something to do with the lack of slide velocity. Are malfunctions possible? Yes. Are they, as the question asked, “likely”? I am totally confident that my answer remains “nope”.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    My experience is that our formal (witnessed by multiple people and documented) 10,000 round test, coupled with multiple instructor’s 8.5 months and in some cases more of training over thousands to tens of thousands of rounds each to the dozens of end-users who each shoot over 1,200 rounds in the pistol optic certification course with COREs and many of them the 5” model, and that is the first malfunction I’ve seen with an SRO- and being that the casing was primarily stuck in the ejection port (there is insufficient room for the casing to wedge under the optic unless it’s still in the ejection port) and the fact that the casing is clearly above the extractor rather than being ejected normally all lead me to wonder if the ammo has something to do with the lack of slide velocity. Are malfunctions possible? Yes. Are they, as the question asked, “likely”? I am totally confident that my answer remains “nope”.
    I have no idea exactly what happened, but it seemed relevant to the question asked in this thread. This is the first such instance of this I have experienced. Since I was shooting a stage, I cleared it and moved on.

The ammo is factory Federal Syntech 150 grain that does about 138 PF.

A friend who mounted a SRO on a 320 X5 was having about 1 stoppage per 500 rounds or so, with the case getting caught under the SRO’s snorkel. Springer Precision subsequently redesigned the SRO mount to move the optic further rearward.

Right, but that’s on a 320 and the pistol in this thread is a CORE. The Syntech is listed as “reducing recoil” and designed to be as close as consistency allows to the lower end of the power factor, advertising 890fps for the 150gr bullet. That’s over 100fps less than the listed velocity for my department’s 147gr duty ammo which is a substantial difference in a pistol designed around duty-level reliability and not light competition-type loads.

I know it sounds like I’m arguing minutia, but dude bought a CORE, bought an optic, returned it and bought another, expressed concern before he got it and tried it, and I don’t think it’s appropriate to undercut his confidence based on a malfunction that wasn’t examined in detail, in my mind looks to be very likely ammunition related, and is an anecdotal deviation from tens of thousands of trouble-free factory 124gr FMJ and 147gr JHP rounds.

Not saying it didn’t happen. Just saying it shouldn’t be considered a strong argument against the reliability of the SRO/CORE.

User Tag List