Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul pistol braces now shipping

Site Supporter
    "Magpul could have saved themselves some design time if they'd have just made the CTR buttpad pull off and have a QD swivel underneath."

Edge of my lane at best:

While that may be true, Magpul has had very few missteps with their polymer molded products in terms of design and proof of concept. Ergo a more blank sheet of paper approach IMHO.

While there may have teething pains with some of their first Glock mags, they more than made those right.

They have held prices down when the market would easily bear higher.

I would argue that their only misses have been trying to support too many smart phones brands with some of their early cases and some of their soft goods (collared shirts, pants, shorts, outwear) missed the mark in the perceived quality/value market.

On a near complete tangent, expanding soft goods beyond a core ( hats/t-shirts in the case of Magpul) is how Golite crashed and burned only to be resurrected as My Trail where the original Go-Lite founder crashed and burned it again. 3rd time may be a charm as a new ownership has the name and designs now.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 04-17-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

That BTR looks like just the ticket. The location of the QD socket and the buttons for adjusting the length really sell the brace thing. As much as I would like a QD socket on the side it's smart they put it right on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    "Magpul could have saved themselves some design time if they'd have just made the CTR buttpad pull off and have a QD swivel underneath."

Edge of my lane at best:

While that may be true, Magpul has had very few missteps with their polymer molded products in terms of design and proof of concept. Ergo a more blank sheet of paper approach IMHO.
    I guess I would clarify I was just being tongue-in-cheek about how similar to a traditional CTR the BTR looks to be - no doubt this is pretty cream of the crop as far as braces go.

I think the only misstep here, if it is one at all, is waiting until now to get them to market with the potential imminent danger to the legality of braces.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Those look great. Top one looks like the KAK I get so much use out of. Outstanding.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I might grab one just for the legal flexibility. Really appreciate how much cheaper they are than the SBA3, especially given that the two guns I'd use them on are already SBR'd. Don't need a $120 stock that i'll keep in around purely for travel out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I might grab one just for the legal flexibility. Really appreciate how much cheaper they are than the SBA3, especially given that the two guns I'd use them on are already SBR'd. Don't need a $120 stock that i'll keep in around purely for travel out of state.
    Did your SBRs begin life as pistols? My understanding, and I always admit that I could be wrong, is that if the gun started as a pistol you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle without issues. If the gun started as a rifle, whether NFA or not, it can’t legally be made into a pistol. If you want to temporarily modify the configuration of an SBR into a non-NFA firearm configuration, you can only make it a 16”+ barreled rifle and not a pistol with a shorter barrel unless it started life as a pistol.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Did your SBRs begin life as pistols? My understanding, and I always admit that I could be wrong, is that if the gun started as a pistol you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle without issues. If the gun started as a rifle, whether NFA or not, it can’t legally be made into a pistol. If you want to temporarily modify the configuration of an SBR into a non-NFA firearm configuration, you can only make it a 16”+ barreled rifle and not a pistol with a shorter barrel unless it started life as a pistol.
    Both started life as stripped receivers that were built into AR pistols, then SBR'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Both started life as stripped receivers that were built into AR pistols, then SBR'd.
    Based on this, it sounds like you should be good to go.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Any feedback on how tight they lockup on the RE? That's one of the issues I have with my SBA3's.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Any feedback on how tight they lockup on the RE? That's one of the issues I have with my SBA3's.
    I'll let you know Wednesday. I only have VLTOR A5 REs though, which seem to be more much more consistent across the board in terms of being milspec diameter.

User Tag List