Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The gimp's reloading adventures

The gimp's reloading adventures

• Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant): #Dillon550
    • Caliber: .300Blk
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): Nosler 125gr ballistic tips
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): Hogdon Lil'Gun. 17.4gr on the left target, 17.6gr on the right, target shot 50 years with 1-6.5x scope
    • Dies used: Hornady and Lee FCD
    • Primers used: CCI Small Rifle 400
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 2.10"
    • Chronograph data (if possible): #PoorFag
    • Goals intended with this load: Accurate supersonic HD/hunting round for use while suppressed, cycles the 11.5" KAC SR-30 rifle properly
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: Nothing to note other than the 17.6gr load is markedly more accurate
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied: My seated rest position
    • Anything of interest: Shooting from the prone will almost certainly enhance these groups, I also plan to work up a 17.8gr load. Overall, I think this combination of components has real potential.

Name:  9534de13a0dc26c78d8610ab4b1cb10baa5e5948-1.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  48.5 KB
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    #RESIST

The gimp's reloading adventures

Watching with interest.

Why did you choose the Nosler 125gr? What is the min fps for expansion of the bullet?

ETA
    Found the spec 1800fps

You are probably on the verge of expansion failure at 300blk velocities. Extremely close at 100 yards.

The Barnes 110gr Tac TX has a minimum expansion speed of @ 1350 fps. The vortex tac TX 110gr 300blk load is clocking @ 2350fps from the barrel.

I would estimate your load to be @ 2050-2100fps from the barrel.
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 04-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Why did you choose the Nosler 125gr?
    A text from Sean M.

You are probably on the verge of expansion failure at 300blk velocities. Extremely close at 100 yards.
    I rarely see anything past 50 out here but I do plan to bump up the charge a bit and see how it shoots.
    #RESIST

Copy that, I'm intrigued with the future results. Sean M knows what he's talking about and I'd defer to his experience and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

• Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant): #Dillon650
    • Caliber: 9mm
    • Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): Berry's 124gr flat points
    • Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): 3.7gr Titegroup
    • Dies used: Dillon except for Lee FCD
    • Primers used: Win SP
    • Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.13
    • Chronograph data (if possible): #PoorFag
    • Goals intended with this load: Impulse buy at Cabelas
    • Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: Smooooth, low recoil, very accurate, great load that will turn your taint into an ain't
    • Problems encountered and fixes applied: None, highly recommended
    • Anything of interest: shot great in stock Gen4 Glock 17 and S3F barrels at 8 yards, left/top target is S3F barrel, right/bottom is stock Glock barrel, each target was 17 rounds
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Love Berry's. They just seem to work. And are easy to work with in loading processes.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Berry's 124gr flat points

I've had a lot of success with this bullet too. Over 50K worth of them at this point. It's me favorite! In fact I just switched back to them after a brief dabble with some 147 grain coated bullets. Back home and content with these.

Aside: I have to push em a little faster than you are to keep them consistently at 130 PF though (4.25" barrels).

humblebrag much?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    humblebrag much?

I suppose if you consider my effectively saying "Good choice in bullet, I've shot an assload of them and they work well..." to be bragging, then yeah...I guess I'm bragging.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I suppose if you consider my effectively saying "Good choice in bullet, I've shot an assload of them and they work well..." to be bragging, then yeah...I guess I'm bragging.
    nah, OP knows.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List