Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 929 for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I guess I'm just weird but I have zero expectation of reloading a J-frame in a fight. In my mind, the compelling use for a J-frame is as something that can be screwed into someone's side and fired until it goes click. If you don't have a second one, I think that expecting to reload one is the height of optimism.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    OK but think how much it sucks just training with it?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I guess I'm just weird but I have zero expectation of reloading a J-frame in a fight. In my mind, the compelling use for a J-frame is as something that can be screwed into someone's side and fired until it goes click. If you don't have a second one, I think that expecting to reload one is the height of optimism.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    I picked up the 940 when we went to 9mms at work.

I tried going that route specifically due to ammo commonality. We are also required to qual on a 50 round course, duty, off duty, BUG, doesn't matter. Kind of slows down the process when a guy has to have a mallet on his belt to reload.

If all I was worried about was a 5 shot throw away gun in a fight then any caliber would do. In this case I was hoping the moon clip ammo would actually make the 940 viable. I found that two moon clips would stack in a single speedloader pouch for a .38/.357

Add to this the fact that the supplied moon clips were quite fragile; and once bent in the slightest, they were useless, as they would cause binding of the cylinder during the trigger stroke.

This was the main problem I recall. I do remember one that had the sticky extraction. Either problem, as Chuck noted, made qualifying with one difficult, or a total non-event.

Is that comp legal for USPSA revolver?

Anyways I might get one simply because I want a revolver that I can shoot without having to stockpile another caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Is that comp legal for USPSA revolver?

Anyways I might get one simply because I want a revolver that I can shoot without having to stockpile another caliber.
    It's removable.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Add to this the fact that the supplied moon clips were quite fragile; and once bent in the slightest...
    I've found the main cause of bent moons to be people removing the empties wrong.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've found the main cause of bent moons to be people removing the empties wrong.
    Fun fact: with .38 Special moons you have to make sure that your clips will fit the specific brand of brass. For example, TK Custom sells two or three different thicknesses of clips, one of which will only fit Starline brass.

Could be; I have never owned anything moon clip related, so I dunno.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Fun fact: with .38 Special moons you have to make sure that your clips will fit the specific brand of brass. For example, TK Custom sells two or three different thicknesses of clips, one of which will only fit Starline brass.
    Yeah, 646's shipped with three each of two different thicknesses of .40 cal moons.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Yeah, 646's shipped with three each of two different thicknesses of .40 cal moons.
    Do 9mm case rims suffer from different thicknesses like the .40 S&W, requiring different clips? I have hundreds of them for .45 ACP and have never had issues with mixed brass and mixed clips, but I have zero experience with other calibers and moonclips.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

User Tag List