Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA Training

Site Supporter
    In my academy a locally respected retired officer who had truly been there and done that, taught firearms. He taught one guy to thumb cock his DA/Sa ruger when coming out of the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    I'm not Pannone and I might not be qualified? My training and experience regarding movement has been to decock before moving. Shoot, assess, decock, communicate, then move if necessary.
    Lemme pose a question, just to frame some context around the doctrine: If there was an ongoing fire-fight, and you were moving from a point of cover being the rear wheel of a car to a better point of cover behind the engine block, would you decock before making that movement?

Just curious - personally, I suspect I'd only decock when assessing, after the engagement is reasonably concluded.

This is good stuff...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Lemme pose a question, just to frame some context around the doctrine: If there was an ongoing fire-fight, and you were moving from a point of cover being the rear wheel of a car to a better point of cover behind the engine block, would you decock before making that movement?

Just curious - personally, I suspect I'd only decock when assessing, after the engagement is reasonably concluded.

This is good stuff...
    I would probably decock. For the first shot the DA does not really hinder me, but provides a significant level of safety.

You're right, this is a great discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

This is good stuff...
    Not Paul, but yes.
    C Class shooter.

I would not, but I am also a gaymer first Sam Fisher second.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I took a pistol class with Defoor last year and I used my Brig Tac. On some movement drills where we were running from the 50-25-6 yard lines, he told me to decock before moving positions. He said he was taught "Decock before you talk, decock before you walk." If I'm moving a decent distance I will decock but if I'm moving a few feet, like behind a car, I personally won't.
    Shoot more, post less...

There is a lot of good stuff in another thread regarding decocking while moving... Personally, I don't feel like the DA slows me down on much of anything, but it isn't a habit I've considered much. I do decock when scanning/assessing, when the gun comes off the mount, but if I'm moving from a short distance to another, I'll just leave it... Case and point: Shot a PPC match last night and I don't decock when opening the barricade, etc. I remember asking Super Dave about this and his answer was "If there's shooting going on, just keep it SAO... Specifically, that was in regards to barricades. If there's a larger break, and you're going admin, decock."

Anyway - this is thread drift... Let's get back to the point of mastering the DA trigger.

i've been shooting either my Px4 or 92F for the last 6-9 months at IDPA matches. it's not that hard to get used to DA/SA. but if all you hear and read is scary stuff, you likely won't even give it a try. you'll just go along with the sheep and get a Glock/MP/HK/Sig.....

i started off at the bottom of the score sheet, now i'm in the upper 1/4. DA/SA has not held me back.

Site Supporter
    The DA in the HK P30 I dry fired was pretty bad, but I didn't shoot it so who knows. My CZ P-07 doesn't have a butter smooth trigger, but when I am actually shooting it, things go where I want them.

I don't agree with the notion of "DA doesn't matter because it's the first round out of 15". That's the wrong mindset,because one may only have the first shot to make it count.

If you're scared of a DA shot,train harder. Not holding myself up as a great pistoleros,but when I do 25 yard drills I start in DA just like at 3.When I first carried my 92 I trained by shooting every round in a 100 shot session DA. Meaning shoot,decock. Shoot,decock.

Youd best believe my thumb was sore - but now I'm not scared of long range shots and I hit the decocker on instinct.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 03-22-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List