Page 67 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Can't seem to squat 265. I do 3x5, and was able to do 4 for my first set. This has happened before. Overhead presses @ 100# and deadlifts @ 265# went fine. Relatively easy, even.

Not sure what's up with my squat, is 265 is a mental barrier I've put on myself (seems unlikely, but possible), or is that the point I need to start wearing a belt?

Also possible lack of carbs (I've been on keto since the new years) may be why.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I do 3x5, and was able to do 4 for my first set.
    Sorry, this isn't enough detail.

My normal working set is 3x5.

With a working load of 265, I did 4 for my first set. 2nd set I only did 1 rep before I racked the bar and deloaded to 225. Did 4 reps, said "screw it" and went to OHP and DL's.

Site Supporter
    Sorry, this isn't enough detail.

My normal working set is 3x5.

With a working load of 265, I did 4 for my first set. 2nd set I only did 1 rep before I racked the bar and deloaded to 225. Did 4 reps, said "screw it" and went to OHP and DL's.

So you did squat 265, but couldn’t get it for 5 reps? Could be mental, it happens. Could be you need to drop weight and work up to 265.

Food and rest are real issues as well. How much do you eat?

You use a smith machine right? It’s certainly better than nothing (I would be thrilled if most cops used one!), but it’s hard to beat a barbell. Do you have the option of using one?
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 06-19-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So you did squat 265, but couldn’t get it for 5 reps? Could be mental, it happens. Could be you need to drop weight and work up to 265.

Food and rest are real issues as well. How much do you eat?

You use a smith machine right? It’s certainly better than nothing (I would be thrilled if most cops used one!), but it’s hard to beat a barbell. Do you have the option of using one?
    Correct. I started squats with 185, so I didn't jump right to 265. From 185, I added 10 pounds per workout.

Calorie break down for this week (so far) has been:
    2895 Cals
    231 grams fat
    30 grams carbs (15 fiber)
    175 grams protein

Bodyweight is ~215, LMB possibly 183. Daily energy expenditure: 40 minute leisurely bike ride, 10 hour shift as welder (standing with some material handling), and on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday a starting strength workout that takes ~ 1 hour to complete.

I do not use a smith machine.

Site Supporter
    Correct. I started squats with 185, so I didn't jump right to 265. From 185, I added 10 pounds per workout.

2895 Cals
    231 grams fat
    175 grams protein

Bodyweight is ~215, LMB possibly 183. Daily energy expenditure: 40 minute leisurely bike ride, 10 hour shift as welder (standing with some material handling), and on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday a starting strength workout that takes ~ 1 hour to complete.

Sorry, I confused you with someone else.

Working 10 hours a day as a Welder probably takes more out of you for workouts than you might realize. Yesterday I hiked in the Caprock Canyon State Park for about 5 hours. It was very hot and climbing the canyon walls was exhausting. Then I drove 5 hours home.

This afternoon I could tell my workout was off, especially my bench.

Maybe just drop weight and work your way back up to 265. You’ve clearly made impressive gains on your lift from 185 to 265.

Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will come in and give you better advice.

Correct. I started squats with 185, so I didn't jump right to 265. From 185, I added 10 pounds per workout
    Can't seem to squat 265. I do 3x5, and was able to do 4 for my first set. This has happened before. Overhead presses @ 100# and deadlifts @ 265# went fine. Relatively easy, even.
    When you're just starting out the 10lb increases are fine, but you're past the point of needing to drop to 5lb increments. I’d just drop the weight to 230-240 or so, work up in 5lb increments, build up some momentum and you’ll breeze past 265 in a couple weeks. When you start out those initial gains is your body learning to use what you already have, so those 10 pounds jumps are fine, because your basically just becoming better coordinated.

The starting phase is like putting new tires on a car. The car handles, brakes and accelerates better. The brakes, suspension, and engine are the same, they are just being better utilized thanks to the new tires. The next round of improvements are a little more labor intensive and costly.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

2895 Cals
    231 grams fat
    175 grams protein

Really look at form and how far down your going. I hit a similar wall and adjusting my technique helped me find a depth that worked for me, especially using the downward pause to build momentum up

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Really look at form and how far down your going. I hit a similar wall and adjusting my technique helped me find a depth that worked for me, especially using the downward pause to build momentum up
    I may be wrong, but I really feel like my squat improved when I started going crazy on dead lifts. A combo of high volume (100 reps of 225) and high weight/low volume, really helped me. Another thing that helped me was following SouthNarcs plan.

4 week-6x10, 4x8, 3x6, 3x3. Squat, dead lift, shoulder press, bench press. Only assistance work was something like push ups, dips, pull ups. I modified his plan, but what I took from him was the 4 week and amounts. Kept repeating.

Finally got to get on a real bar.

Dead lifted 350 x3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Finally got to get on a real bar.

Dead lifted 350 x3.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great job!

What’s your body weight? How did it feel?

User Tag List