Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it About Revolvers and Older Pistols?

Regarding my use of the term “Slow Strips,” in my previous post: The Strip is actually a VERY fast and sure way to get those first two rounds into the cylinder, and a very efficient way to organize ammo, so, I find Slow Strips to be very valuable assets.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This reminds me of the older Law and Orders. For some reason, the detectives had to have a entry in force to some bad guy's apartment. So the NYPD guys all tactical with the usual outfits were there but Lenny was in front of them with just a vest and a SW or Colt Detective Special snubby. Do detectives lead the charge into entries - inquiring minds want to know. Olivia does that all the time as a captain.
    Detective Donald O'Sullivan at least did in the Larry Davis raid. He ran in ahead of ESU.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The two most realistic things on Law And order:

1) Lenny, a divorced, recovering alcoholic, has one remaining Vice -he plays the ponies, and when off duty he can be found at the off-track betting parlor;

2) the episode, where the suspect, a realtor, was believed to have stashed a murder weapon in a vacant apartment which was one of his listings. Lenny and his partner are waiting outside the apartment for other detectives to arrive with a search warrant, the suspect has a key and insists on entering the apartment. Lenny. Having just eaten lunch, keeps the suspect out by sticking his toothpick in the keyhole and breaking it off…
    We used to use the toothpick trick to get out of test taking in high school. The teacher couldnt let us in the classroom and had to call for the custodian.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by High Cross View Post
    Detective Donald O'Sullivan at least did in the Larry Davis raid. He ran in ahead of ESU.
    A perfect example of why it’s a bad idea.

I wonder how many besides you, Ed L and myself know who Larry Davis is without google ?

I wonder how many besides you, Ed L and myself know who Larry Davis is without google ?
    I never heard of him before today, but his acquittals were horrific!

https://archive.nytimes.com/cityroom...f-larry-davis/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I never heard of him before today, but his acquittals were horrific!

https://archive.nytimes.com/cityroom...f-larry-davis/
    Let’s just say the way things were back in the day there is a not zero chance that his story about having a green light from the local cops to target drug dealers might have been true.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    "If you like revolvers you owe it to yourself to buy Practical Handgun Training: A Practical Guide in the Important Aspects of Handgun Use and Handling by Richard P. Rosenthal:
    https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Han...dp/0988882817/" @Ed L

I ordered the book as well. Thank you.

I've carried a Glock 19 for about 30 years and most of that period I also carried a 640 Smith J frame in a pocket holster. I replaced my 1992 J Frame with an LCR (influenced by the Revolver sub-forum). I shoot this combo at least once a week.

I have been strongly influenced by this subforum, from both a practical and a nostalgic standpoint. P-F is my goto site and the Revolver subforum is the first thing I read.
    I have been "enabled" ( ) and educated here. I purchased a .327 LCR, a vintage Model 10 4 " and a vintage Model 15 4" in great shape and for great below market prices.
    Oh yeah, and a very nice Model 66 4" from a local friend.
    Tony has been instrumental in making some great AIWB holsters for me.

As I am approaching 70, I have no fantasies about "running & gunning" and avoid what John Farnam refers to as the "3 s's".

I tend to shoot my Model 10 and/or Model 15 each week. There is something remarkable about the feeling the smooth mechanical working of those revolvers in my hands.

My first carry gun was a 686 (which I still own), so as I've never completely left revolvers I have certainly been "enabled" to revisit them.

While I like having the capacity and subjective shootability of my RDS Glocks, I absolutely love shooting my revolvers and wouldn't feel underguned carrying a couple of them on the streezts.

Thank you for the influence and information P-F and Thank you @Moped for starting this thread.
    You're more than welcome!!!

As I set typing this response, I have a S&W 442 on my hip. Later this evening, if I don't have anything else to do, I'll be searching gunbroker.com for revolvers that I might want to purchase or trade for, throughout the state of Tennessee. Specifically, I'm looking for a Model 10, 13, 15 or 19 or their equivalent stainless steel versions. Then I'll start looking for .32s and .44s.

I've come to love revolvers, even though, most of the time, when I'm out and about, I'm carrying a Glock 45 or a Ruger Max9. Revolvers seem to have more of a "soul" compared to most semi-autos. I still love the old classic steel 1911s, Hi-Powers, Walthers and Berettas. I even like the old holsters for them!

Site Supporter
    Are we at the point where Beretta 92s are older pistols?

Because Langdon Tactical has made the Beretta 92 perhaps my favorite gun of all time.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

For those who do not here is a documentary biased toward him. https://youtu.be/-hGPB-dYcSo I was a young kid in Queens when that all happened. I went to college a few blocks from where the second building he was holed up in was and I used to look at it down Lorillard Place in the Bronx. Pat Rogers told me that he believed it true that some of the MOS on that scene were intox as the family alleged. That crazy part of ESU Sgt Edward Coulter blindly firing his shotgun at davis which accidentally blew open his sisters door allowing his escape was also wild.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Are we at the point where Beretta 92s are older pistols?

Because Langdon Tactical has made the Beretta 92 perhaps my favorite gun of all time.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    When I bought my first hand gun on my own just about 20 years ago, the prevailing advice was to get a Glock or a Sig. I ended up buying a Glock 19 and a NJSP trade in Ruger Security Six together. I regret neither but didn't end up shooting Beretta 92's until recently. I don't think I shoot any semi auto better except maybe a 1911. The 92 was talked down on, and literally everyone I knew in the military told me it was a piece of garbage so I never gave it a chance. If I knew what I knew now, I would have absolutely bought one then. What a great semi auto. My father is retiring to Pennsylvania and has not owned a handgun in 30 plus years. I was thinking of having him try this. So you have good taste.

User Tag List