Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Decade is Ending

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm less thrilled that here it is, 2020. Where are the flying cars, the orbital hotels, the Lunar settlements? Where are the expeditions to Mars and the outer planets?

OK, so we got the Star Trek-like computer tablets and communicators. I can veg on my couch, read almost anything I desire, watch almost any movie ever made. I can videochat with a nephew-in-law in one of the Sandboxes, something I can set up with a verbal command to the tablet.

But it seems as though humanity, on the whole, is dropping IQ points.
    flynn effect says iq is on the rise

woodley effect shows general intelligence is on the decline

Site Supporter
    Isn't 2021 the end of the decade or I am wrong about that detail?

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/new-d...or-2021-100900

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Isn't 2021 the end of the decade or I am wrong about that detail?

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/new-d...or-2021-100900
    I suppose, but nobody celebrated the new millennium on 1/1/2001
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Hadn't occurred to before your thread. I guess no in that case. Weird cause I'm a frustrated philosopher and sentimental to boot.Then again, got a lot of irons in the fire.
    This.

I'm less thrilled that here it is, 2020. Where are the flying cars, the orbital hotels, the Lunar settlements?
    We don’t have those things because the folks smart enough to produce them all realize that the flying cars would be driven by the same texters/stoners/uninsured idiots you see on your daily commutes; the orbital hotels would be staffed and maintained by the same people you see at the Holiday Inn; the lunar settlements would be planned, contracted, built, and managed by the same people building our planned communities now, out of Chinese building materials.

No, all is as it should be. We can have our ipads and instapots and Marvel Universe sequels with too much CGI. It’s all we can handle, and barely, at that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I haven't quite recovered from Y2K.
    You prompted me to remember what is still under the kitchen sink.

Name:  7C53005F-854A-4C5E-B20C-37B1B7D9BBCC.jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  87.2 KB

On a positive note, The Far Side is now officially online.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Everything is amazing and wonderful, and many of the basic hard goods on which life depends are almost impossible to acquire, in a level of quality as to be useable, at any price. And I'm not just talking about revolvers here.

I'll go shake my fist at a cloud now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Depending upon how one counts, I guess, but I thought the decade truly ends at the end of 2020, not the beginning. A baby is not one year old, until a year has been completed.

Well, anyway, I do not really think in terms of decades having a definitive start and end date, or of any specific ten-year period having any personal significance. I became a mostly-legal adult at 18, a fully-legal adult at 21, and then tended to think my life in terms of before or after significantly devastating local hurricanes. Alicia hit in 1983, when I was 22, just before I became a police officer. Ike hit in 2008, when I was 46, almost 47, after which nobody ever again guessed I was significantly younger than my actual age, or asked me “Where do you get all of your energy?” Harvey hit in 2017, when I was 55, almost 56, after which I no longer felt middle-aged, but truly old, with less energy than my father had in his seventies.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-18-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I suppose, but nobody celebrated the new millennium on 1/1/2001
    I did.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I grew up in a strict fundie home. Not cult-level weird, just strict. I moved out in 2000, when I was 19. Despite being almost 20 years ago, it’s still a monumental event in my mind, and the divider between two eras of my life.

So a calendar date doesn’t make me pause for reflection. But pushing 40 does. Not that 40 is super special either, but it’s a good point to gauge where you were, are, and want to be.

User Tag List