Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New HK pistol

New HK pistol

As expected, HK Germany has unveiled the new SFP9-L OR Match.

Lighter (~3.5 lb), shorter trigger, longer slide and O-ring barrel (5.5”), jet funnel, new 20-round mags (amusingly listed as a capacity of 2020).

Pretty sure existing 20-round baseplates are incompatible with that polymer (!) jet funnel.

Unless someone comes up with tungsten side plates and back straps (which, given the tolerances needed for interfacing with the frame, would cost a ridiculous amount), I’m not sure exactly what this is for… probably some IPSC category I’m unfamiliar with…but it’s interesting.

Thankfully they offer the button or paddle as options. There was some concern when this first surfaced that they were going button-only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Archer1440; 04-21-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    As expected, HK Germany has unveiled the new SFP9-L OR Match.

Lighter (~3.5 lb), shorter trigger, longer slide and O-ring barrel (5.5”), jet funnel, new 20-round mags (amusingly listed as a capacity of 2020).

Pretty sure existing 20-round baseplates are incompatible with that polymer (!) jet funnel.

Unless someone comes up with tungsten side plates and back straps (which, given the tolerances needed for interfacing with the frame, would cost a ridiculous amount), I’m not sure exactly what this is for… probably some IPSC category I’m unfamiliar with…but it’s interesting.
    Hey, you know what’s selling like hot cakes right now? Small single stack 9mm pistols. Let’s make the opposite!

But seriously, this is cool. I love HK and I don’t know why.

If you think about it, this wasn’t a very expensive (capital expenditure wise) item to design and produce. The main expense would be in the mold for the jet funnel (which has been around at least a year) and the mag baseplates. Everything else is an adjustment to existing tooling parameters, and perhaps a couple of spring spec changes in the frame. Of course testing would cost something as well.

Now, a single-stack polymer HK? That would be some work. New frame molds, re-engineered trigger and slide, completely new mags, heavy testing expense. But no doubt there would be some demand.

USSF duty pistol for space shuttle door gunners?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Now, a single-stack polymer HK? That would be some work. New frame molds, re-engineered trigger and slide, completely new mags, heavy testing expense. But no doubt there would be some demand.
    That’s true, much higher investment on their end. If they could keep capacity at least 10 rounds and keep pricing somewhat competitive like they did with the VP9, Im sure they would sell them all, especially right now. P365s and 43x/48 all sell out the same day local gun stores get them in. I realize I’m far from the first person the bring this up, but I would love to see it happen.

So ugly.

Still...I kind of want one.

HK why you no make me a VP9 thumb safety?!

I know, I know, because I suck and you hate me.

Wake me up when they do something interesting.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Mag well, 20 round mags, 5.5 inch barrel — this checks a lot of boxes, just the wrong ones.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Mag well, 20 round mags, 5.5 inch barrel — this checks a lot of boxes, just the wrong ones.
    Right? As I said, it must be for some European competitive thing I don’t know anything about. If they did a VP9 version of this for the USA, it wouldn’t be very relevant for USPSA. Maybe 3-gun?

On the other hand that trigger might be just the thing for those who do compete with the VP9 series. Specs read like the aftermarket options, but one might expect HK reliability, which aftermarket triggers certainly do not seem to have.

Oh, I'm already looking at the VP9L-OR. I do zero competition, plan on getting a CZ S2 OR when they're not unobtainium, and already own a G34 MOS. I just like sweet guns.

User Tag List