Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: New High Capacity Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Stopped in my LGS to get this year's hunting license. My buddy showed me the new Shield Plus / 3.1" barrel. He knows I carry my old Kahr PM9 in my front pocket as a back up. I've looked at the Shield's in the past but the size vs capacity did not do enough to sway me from my trusty PM9. Now the Plus with it's extra capacity, the size makes more sense. I slipped it in my pocket for a bit. Slightly bigger but doable. He had both with and without a safety. I fiddle with both. Not a big fan of the S&W safety design. The Kahr doesn't have a safety either. I will not be drawing it from my pocket as a primary unless things are really F-ed up.

He looked over my PM9 and offered an even trade. I can see the Shield Plus a more versatile pistol, including carrying it solo Off Duty with an extra mag, something I rarely do with the Kahr. I'd have to get a Pocket Concealment Systems holster before I'd carry it in my pocket at work but the old fall back 442 is available for duty.

Have to ponder on it a little. Of course Dcowboyscr's post don't help. All machines can break tho.

JW
    Logically I know this is true especially if you shoot any gun enough it will break. I’m just shocked this thing catastrophically failed in 153 rounds. I’ve owned well north of 200 firearms the last 30 years and this is the first to break so soon and to the point of being a paperweight. I can’t even replace the firing pin spring or assembly since the whole thing is stuck in the slide. Hopefully S&W will get it back to me quickly so I can run some rounds through it and regain my confidence in this individual pistol.

Edited to add it’s been an unlucky week! I had to send my $2,600 Wilson Combat EDC X9S in for warranty work with 200 rounds fired through it that I bought NIB last week. Weird click sound in the trigger just before I hit the wall. Turns out the disconnector it touching the slide while the pistol is in battery.
    Last edited by Dcowboyscr; 04-10-2021 at 10:48 PM.

What is odd, is it is my understanding that the upper components of the Shield Plus are just 2.0 Shield components, which are obviously tested with many, many of these units in circulation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is odd, is it is my understanding that the upper components of the Shield Plus are just 2.0 Shield components, which are obviously tested with many, many of these units in circulation.
    Guess it just goes to show that anything manmade can break unexpectedly. When I get it back from Smith I plan to dry fire it with snap caps a couple thousand times and then put a few hundred rounds through it. Only then will I carry it.

Todd G wrote a bit on reliability:

For me to be comfortable carrying a new gun, it needs to shoot at least 200 rounds of the same JHP defensive ammo that I’ll carry when CCW’ing without a single stoppage. Ordinarily, I’ll put at least 500 rounds of practice ammunition through the gun first… mostly so as not to waste the more expensive JHP ammo on a gun that might be having a problem. If the gun cannot make it through that 500rd of FMJ-style ammunition, I’ll examine it and attempt to fix anything either by working on it myself or returning the gun to the manufacturer. Then I’ll start the cycle over again, 500rd of FMJ followed by 200rd of JHP, minimum.
    After ten years in the firearms industry, including jobs at two major prestigious gun manufacturers, I have come to a very simple conclusion: no one makes a gun that you can be certain will work. Bias and personal preferences aside, most of the major manufacturers are more or less equal nowadays in quality. It wasn’t always that way, but as price became an increasingly important factor in buying decisions of both individuals and government entities, everything changed.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Todd G wrote a bit on reliability:
    Those were the good old days when you could buy 200 JHP and 500 ball to do that process!

Looks like the demand for the plus helped push Smith to finally discontinuing the 1.0 shields.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ntinue-shield/
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Finally some good news. Got the notification my Wilson EDC X9S shipped today and should be back to me by Thursday 11 days from when I sent it back to the mothership for warranty work.

S&W Shield Plus arrives at Smith tomorrow. Hopefully they’re as quick getting it returned to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    Finally some good news. Got the notification my Wilson EDC X9S shipped today and should be back to me by Thursday 11 days from when I sent it back to the mothership for warranty work.

S&W Shield Plus arrives at Smith tomorrow. Hopefully they’re as quick getting it returned to me.
    My experience with S&W is that they are the fastest of all the majors in getting you a return label, but repairs take a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My experience with S&W is that they are the fastest of all the majors in getting you a return label, but repairs take a month or two.
    Well that’s not good to hear. If I knew that I would’ve just bought the firing pin assembly and taken it to a local gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Looks like the demand for the plus helped push Smith to finally discontinuing the 1.0 shields.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ntinue-shield/
    Booo. Makes sense but I'm still using a 1.0 Shield as my primary carry with another 1.0 as my trainer.

User Tag List