Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glock 48 is dumb: Change My Mind

3953 was my first carry gun. It’s an outstanding pistol. I too regret selling mine.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I think it was simply just “put a longer slide on a 43X”- done. Doesn’t the 34 use a 17 RSA?
    Yes the 34 uses a 17 factory recoil spring in all 3 gens.

the only current dumb thing is I can't seem to find one.

Was hoping to get the model with the Ameriglo sights already installed, but now can't seem to find anything at all. would even go for the "silver" version with Ameriglo is that was available. Guess I'll have to start stalking some of the LGS. Blech.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I think it was simply just “put a longer slide on a 43X”- done. Doesn’t the 34 use a 17 RSA?
    Yes but the G34 had the cut out in the top of the slide to make the weight of the G34 slide the same as that of the G17.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I don’t know; I’m skeptical Glock engineers would have been so inept as to not consider other options from their own inventory.

I could picture where they made their choice based on weighting requirements differently, like saving .05$ per pistol, or maybe having an easier to rack slide in the LGS being seen as a sales advantage for their target demographic, but I have to imagine they at least considered options from the viewpoint of reliability.
    Part of Glocks business model is maximizing parts commonality. Many of the issues with Gen 2/3 Glocks involved use of the G17/19 RSA designed for 9mm in the .40 cal G22/23. They then repeated this in the opposite direction when the early Gen 4 17/19’s had issues because they tried to run 9mm guns on an RSA re-designed for .40 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I don’t know; I’m skeptical Glock engineers would have been so inept as to not consider other options from their own inventory.
    Have they developed a reliable 10 round magazine for their double stack guns yet? Plenty of states are limited to 10 round magazines and the last time I checked 10 round 19/17 magazines were not reliable. In my own experience they weren’t and that’s why I don’t currently carry a 19.

Just because they are engineers doesn’t mean their ideas are always the best.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes but the G34 had the cut out in the top of the slide to make the weight of the G34 slide the same as that of the G17.
    The current Gen 5 34 doesn't have the cut out and uses the same G 5 17 spring SP33786

Gen 3 34 uses Gen 3 17 spring
    Gen 4 34 uses Gen 4 17 spring
    Gen 5 34 uses Gen 5 17 spring

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The current Gen 5 34 doesn't have the cut out and uses the same G 5 17 spring SP33786

Gen 3 34 uses Gen 3 17 spring
    Gen 4 34 uses Gen 4 17 spring
    Gen 5 34 uses Gen 5 17 spring
    Are all gen5 34's MOS ?

Part of Glocks business model is maximizing parts commonality. Many of the issues with Gen 2/3 Glocks involved use of the G17/19 RSA designed for 9mm in the .40 cal G22/23. They then repeated this in the opposite direction when the early Gen 4 17/19’s had issues because they tried to run 9mm guns on an RSA re-designed for .40 cal.
    Yup and it’s idiotic.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Are all gen5 34's MOS ?
    Yes all Gen 5 34's are MOS without the cutout. The Gen 5 34 weighs 12.9 ounces and the Gen 5 17 weighs 12.8 ounces. That is without the barrel and recoil spring assembly, slide only.

User Tag List