Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FN 509 Tactical

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I have a question about the trigger system regarding Enel's hammer. The 509 stryker seems to move back and down (not simply rotating down) and i was wondering if a dead trigger is possible. I cannot find the Enel's hammer thread.

I plan on buying one in September because there may or may not be a tax break then for firearms. There was a tax relief regarding hunting equipment in Louisiana last year.
    I had several FNSs. I remember being pretty impressed with the engineering. I don’t know if I wacked them before I sold them though.

As I recall, the system was pretty Glock like. Don’t remember if the sear interface was fully supported or not.

Triggers were meh, but barrels were very good and accuracy and reliability high. I liked them but did not feel FN really cared much about the consumer market. After the FN drama thread I got out of them.

My fns was reliable and accurate. I agree on the dry fire remarks. Mine was terrible
    In dry fire but was not bad when shot. But I moved onto the vp9 because it was just flat out a better trigger.

I like the tactical 509, it looks cool and really appreciate them stepping up the mounting system game. But the trigger should have been fixed. Everyone hated the 509 trigger and that has been out for some time now. I think that would really make strides for them in the sales department.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I had several FNSs. I remember being pretty impressed with the engineering. I don’t know if I wacked them before I sold them though.

As I recall, the system was pretty Glock like. Don’t remember if the sear interface was fully supported or not.

Triggers were meh, but barrels were very good and accuracy and reliability high. I liked them but did not feel FN really cared much about the consumer market. After the FN drama thread I got out of them.
    Thank you for replying Enel. The FNS drama thread caused me to have concern as well. I have one FNS and one 509. I may sell the FNS because i prefer the 509 although i like the FNS beavertail.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    My fns was reliable and accurate. I agree on the dry fire remarks. Mine was terrible
    In dry fire but was not bad when shot. But I moved onto the vp9 because it was just flat out a better trigger.

I like the tactical 509, it looks cool and really appreciate them stepping up the mounting system game. But the trigger should have been fixed. Everyone hated the 509 trigger and that has been out for some time now. I think that would really make strides for them in the sales department.
    I like the VP9 trigger as well. Both guns (in 9mm) are soft shooting to me. I prefer the 509 grip and the VP9 mag release.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 07-23-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I can't lie, all this talk about the 509 having a "shitty trigger" has me wanting to buy one. I'll be trawling gunbroker looking for a good deal on one.
    It’s not Sigma bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I've never, to the best of my recollection, handled an original Sigma but the SD9/40 series of guns are probably my favorite SFA guns. I genuinely like their triggers. If the 509 isn't "SD bad" then it's probably not bad enough for my tastes.
    It’s not. It’s just a Glock with an NY1 that has some grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is interesting that I broke eight DP Pro optics since fall 2017 on a bunch of Glock MOS and Walther Q5 pistols, and have yet to break one of the four direct milled DP Pro optics I have on two CZ Shadow and two CZ P09 pistols.
    That's really good to hear! I hadn't checked back here since we last talked and I've been doing my best to kill my DP, only have around 2K through it, but it's been running without any issues. I have it direct mounted on an P320 X-Carry. I did notice the mounting screws walking after about 1.4k with the use of vibra-tite. I just re-torqued, curious if it will be a re-occuring issue.

From a LE perspective the biggest hurdle was consistent weapon presentation. Once I had some reps with the new duty holster I ceased to have issues with finding the dot. The larger window of the DP does hang up a bit on my holster when holstering, but no issues on the draw. I'm using a 6360rds model fwiw. I have noticed shooting moving targets is much easier, as well as shooting anything over 20 yards. I was at rifle re-cert the other week and was hitting steel out to 100 yds with relative ease. I think if officers are given the choice the ones who want them will use them and the ones who don't won't. Pretty much the same as any other piece of gear with LE. There are guys who still use irons and 20 rd metal mags in their rifles..

I will say I prefer the lower profile of the RMR, but the type 2 is unusable for LE as far as I'm concerned. When in auto mode the dot washes out with my WML and Trijicon made the decision to force it into auto every 16 hours. Why? I have no idea..

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Trijicon made the decision to force it into auto every 16 hours. Why? I have no idea..
    Now that's a fine detail I haven't noticed. Guess I'm sticking with the Type 1s and saving a hundred bucks or so when I buy my next one.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Now that's a fine detail I haven't noticed. Guess I'm sticking with the Type 1s and saving a hundred bucks or so when I buy my next one.
    They also bungled the new lock out feature. Instead of locking out the setting you want (which would make sense) it locks it into auto mode. Again.. why??? ha.

The argument is well you only have to set it every 16 hours, which doesn't seem like a big deal. Until you work an OT shift before your 10/12 shift or get stuck on a call and you have to set an alarm to remind you to take out your pistol and re-set your dot. Hopefully you aren't searching a building or in a chase when that alarm goes off... I've gone over the 16 hour mark the last 5 days..

For duty use, type 1 all the way. Use a battlworx plate and you're good to go..

Good to know. My guns are as far from duty use as they get, but it does give me a valid reason to save an extra $100 or so when equipping a new gun with an RMR.

I've had a Type 1 RM06 on an MOS Glock for a few thousand rounds using a Battleworx plate; while it's made a trip back to the mothership once it had less to do with anything the Type 2 would've solved and everything to do with someone not torqueing the windage screw down properly, which caused it to walk every few hundred rounds. It hasn't given me any more fuss since getting it back in December other than a single case of a mounting screw starting to walk and needing to be re-torqued in the first 100 rounds after reinstallation.

User Tag List