Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard Chroming

Site Supporter
    My Detective Special has an orange epoxy insert in the front sight which was installed by a good gunsmith who was local at that time. It helps a little, but not much.

If I were considering applying hard chrome to a Detective Special, I would first completely replace the front sight with something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My Detective Special has an orange epoxy insert in the front sight which was installed by a good gunsmith who was local at that time. It helps a little, but not much.

If I were considering applying hard chrome to a Detective Special, I would first completely replace the front sight with something better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rather than replacing the front sight, another possibility is to have the front sight serrated before sending it off for the hard chrome. When it gets back, you can do the paint/nail polish thing. I had the front sight serrated on my 3d issue DS and then applied the Birchwood Casey paint and it works well. I've also applied the paint to my 67 and 642, and even with the 642's stainless rear sight, it works pretty well.

I've had both of my 1911s hard chromed, and while it does help, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of rust. I've had rust crop up in the checkering. It may be due to faulty application, but my 1911s spend most of the year buried in the safe unmaintained and that could be the reason.

25ish years ago, I had Accuate Plating hard chrome a German police trade in P-7 for me. Shortly thereafter, I traded it for my second round with a new Glock 26.3 and a bunch of extra mags and ammo. Another regret on a long list, sadly.

Here’s the pictures from @DoubleD:

Name:  3F02770A-0831-4F9C-8E5F-E8C6C357B275.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  100.3 KB
    Name:  953119B8-C114-4DFB-8C15-390F46031D6C.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  99.5 KB
    Name:  DEAF1989-B863-4C61-9ADA-C86C58ACB5AA.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  100.8 KB
    Name:  75831A1D-2136-4315-B22C-E5087C4BD5B3.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  84FCDA40-BAFE-4579-B4EA-E12EB3F72DE8.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  5AAB89F8-BC66-476A-A3F4-98D6D5EA600E.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  102.4 KB
    Name:  753006B3-CBE9-4CCD-855B-56D9EEBBA171.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  98.8 KB
    Name:  B61B5A51-AAD4-4C7D-9232-D4373D01008D.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  96.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Mahovsky's Metalife in Pennsylvania offers hard chrome or electroless nickel. His prices and return shipping are most reasonable. His work is excellent. Mr Mahovsky and not a secretary usually answers his telephone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Rather than replacing the front sight, another possibility is to have the front sight serrated before sending it off for the hard chrome. When it gets back, you can do the paint/nail polish thing. I had the front sight serrated on my 3d issue DS and then applied the Birchwood Casey paint and it works well. I've also applied the paint to my 67 and 642, and even with the 642's stainless rear sight, it works pretty well.

I've had both of my 1911s hard chromed, and while it does help, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of rust. I've had rust crop up in the checkering. It may be due to faulty application, but my 1911s spend most of the year buried in the safe unmaintained and that could be the reason.
    Research in this area indicates that hard chrome can have micro pores or micro cracks in the finish. In this case micro refers to cracks not visible to the naked eye. Electroless nickel, though, covers the entire surface without these micro cracks and offers better corrosion existence. That said, hard chrome is an excellent finish. Wiping with an oily rag from time to time should resolve corrosion issues. Applying electroless nickel first and then coating this surface with hard chrome might be the ultimate finish. I mentioned Mahovsky's plating. On aluminum surfaces he applies electroless nickel first and the applies hard chrome on top of this.

Site Supporter
    Most know that before a different or new finish is applied to a handgun, bead blasting areas to be coated occurs. Unfortunately, when done to hammers and sears on an already customized weapon, bead blasting can negatively affect "trigger jobs". I would be more precise if I said that bead blasting and/or the new finish can have this effect. Light single action pulls become much lighter or too light. Of course, this poor outcome does not always occur. Several variable exist. One is slickness of the new finish. Another is skill of the refinisher. A third might be type of weapon. Anyway, I urge all to keep his in mind. I have an unfired 4 inch Model 10 that I plan to give to a young man. Mahovsky will hard chrome all parts but hammer and trigger.This fine revolver will see daily use by a Kentuckian who farms, hunts, fishes, and spends as much time as possible outdoors.

I can't imagine what somebody at Taurus did to piss off Bob Cogan, but he is both a very skilled gunsmith & refinisher, and a curmudgeon who does not suffer fools. He has done nearly two dozen projects for me of the last 3 decades, I haven't single complaint.
    Name:  cogan5.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  42.6 KBName:  cogan4.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  12.2 KBName:  cogan3.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  100.6 KBName:  cogan2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  47.8 KBName:  cogan1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  47.5 KB

I don't know if Virgil Tripp is still doing chrome but he would be my other choice.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Name:  cogan4.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  12.2 KB
    I am so glad that you posted that photo. I bought a hammer shroud for mine just before the pandemic and had forgotten all about it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    bought a hammer shroud for mine just before the pandemic
    worthy addition for any D frame IMO, I got Karl Sokol to install mine simply because I know the alignment is critical, else wise they can crack at the thinnest part of the assembly if they are under too much tension or compression

User Tag List