Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RDS-specific Drill or Training Program?

Quote Originally Posted by Triarii View Post
    I'd say the process is the same whether you're dropping from 12 or driving the gun straight. You're still staying target focused. If you're draw mechanics are solid you won't have to hunt for the dot, it will be in your periphery while you engage the target. If I take focus off the target in any capacity the chances of the dot being where I want it decrease.
    That's an index problem, really you should be able to draw with your eyes closed and when you open them the dot should be right in front of your face

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    That's an index problem, really you should be able to draw with your eyes closed and when you open them the dot should be right in front of your face
    Like I said, it’s a crutch for people with unrefined index.

My goal is to draw and have the dot as close to the exact spot I want impact. Whether that’s slightly up or slightly down or slightly to the side… I’m centering on my POA.

If I’m looking to have the index be above my POA, then I always have to move it down. Sometimes more than others.

Which is less efficient than if I’m just a couple MOA off in any direction.

Anyone who purposely indexes off their target and then has to compensate to bring it to the POA with vision is working with a compensation.

Site Supporter
    Something I just noticed...after thirty+ years of front sight (or dot) focus it takes much more work (dry) to maintain target focus during the presentation. I know that makes me the Unwashed...

Still working....

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    ...My goal is to draw and have the dot as close to the exact spot I want impact. Whether that’s slightly up or slightly down or slightly to the side… I’m centering on my POA.

If I’m looking to have the index be above my POA, then I always have to move it down. Sometimes more than others.

Which is less efficient than if I’m just a couple MOA off in any direction.

Anyone who purposely indexes off their target and then has to compensate to bring it to the POA with vision is working with a compensation.
    When I started to work on a proper index when I pressed out with a red dot, it took some work. Now it is a natural action.

As a byproduct, now when I shoot irons, they are normally aligned when I press out, needing only a micro adjustment, if that.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

On the debate of my wave concept…

If one truly analyzed all draws, they would realize, because of all pistol grip angles, the dot drops from 12. Whether you see it drop or not is up to you.

As far as inefficiency, I do .85 draws all the time from 5-7 yards, cold, in front of students.

Efficient is as efficient does.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    If one truly analyzed all draws, they would realize, because of all pistol grip angles, the dot drops from 12. Whether you see it drop or not is up to you.
    Small wave is fine.

Going to disagree that all dots drop from 12 though.

It is very possible to have a rising dot through the terminal press out.

I’ll see if I can charge up the AimCam and do a demonstration.

With small window dots, the slide and rear irons block so you can’t see it.

But with large window dots, it’s extremely possible to rise the dot to target.

Try and mock it up in slow motion with a large window dot without anything obscuring the rear.

@AsianJedi

This is my best one handed attempt while holding a phone camera in front of my face and trying to index like I would normally.

But you get the picture. I draw to dead on dot when possible.

Since the gun comes from below, the most efficient muzzle to target presentation doesn’t muzzle up and cross down so no dot drop. For me.

This is what it looks like with a green muzzle laser.

Most efficient is muzzle on target early and stays on target. Shot can be broken on target at any point.

The other goal is to not have any muzzle rotation so that the shot breaks cleanly and with precision.

Last edited by JCN; 08-04-2022 at 07:43 PM.

No dots were dropped, or harmed in any way, during production of this action film.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

GJM said he didn't understand what was going in the above video. It was a single draw x 3 at 8 inch steel, 27 yards, concealed from DSG's Orion holster, G19 with a 6 MOA RMR. Other sounds are coming from a steel challenge match next bay.

As an aside, my excel says I shot 425 rounds from my G19 the beginning of this year. I don't think I dry fired this gun for more than one hour total over that period of time. Dots are like cheating.
    Last edited by YVK; 08-04-2022 at 11:34 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Small wave is fine.

Going to disagree that all dots drop from 12 though.

It is very possible to have a rising dot through the terminal press out.

I’ll see if I can charge up the AimCam and do a demonstration.

With small window dots, the slide and rear irons block so you can’t see it.

But with large window dots, it’s extremely possible to rise the dot to target.

Try and mock it up in slow motion with a large window dot without anything obscuring the rear.
    Based on your explanation, you don’t understand the wave concept fully.

So what time/ accuracy based tests have you done to validate your conclusions?

Any accomplishments with an rds pistol to further warrant this debate with you. Not an attack, just wondering.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

User Tag List