Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: IS Leader al-Baghdadi Killed in US Raid

Who knew: If we were just nicer to the terries, they'd stop attacking us.

Riggggghhhhttt…...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

IS Leader al-Baghdadi Killed in US Raid

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I applaud the skills of our military.

Of course, with thousands of men ready to take his place, the death of this one man means absolutely nothing to the actual security of this country or the safety of its citizens beyond a month or two.
    I don’t agree, and neither do some very smart people. I had the honor of meeting Robert Gates and hearing him talk about this very issue shortly after 9/11. In a complex, asymmetric conflict, we need to continue to fight the enemy, preferably from the top down. The fight will never be over, but we will lose if we stop. This is what winning looks like.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-28-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I'm quite certain our President knows this but if for some reason he didn't, his advisors told him. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. This guy was a thug and whether he was a muslim, an islamist, a Christian or whatever, who cares. What matters is that he is gone. Now let's celebrate.
    Trump doesn't listen to his advisors. That's why his cabinet and staff mostly resign in total frustration.

I'm not saying that Baghdadi didn't deserve to die.

You can celebrate if you want but he probably already has a replacement.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The man killed isn't easily replaced in this instance. He was the "caliph" of the "caliphate" based primarily on his claimed bloodline as a connection to the prophet Mohammed and early caliphs. The truth of his bloodline is disputed, but his followers believed it. His death is damaging to many of the ideas that were the underpinning of the "Islamic State". His replacement needs to have some claim of blood, or at least tribe, that those followers will accept. Add in nationality issues and infighting, and this can likely lead to defections from various sub-groups. ISIS is likely to survive as an organization, but that's a big step down from the state they once were and the caliphate they claimed to be.

I don't know. They thought they cut off the head of the snake when they killed Osama. Then up pops al-Zawahiri. If they kill him there are 10 more standing in line.

It's like democrats and the 2020 election.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

For all he did, and all he propagated, he got his just desert's.
    Someone may rise and unify all the assholes of Isis, but it isn't going to happen at light-speed.

I just keep thinking how awesome it would have been if they had played "Ride of the Valkyries" on the chopper PA speakers as they EXFIL'd.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

The New York Post wins the Internez today!

Name:  6CDE29DF-AA39-4927-9A7B-E57A0B001FF4.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  62.8 KB

Good dog so brav!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't know. They thought they cut off the head of the snake when they killed Osama.
    I'm not sure who "they" is, but I'll quote from the press briefing notifying the American public of the successful raid (emphasis added):

I should note that in the wake of this operation, there may be a heightened threat to the homeland and to U.S. citizens and facilities abroad. Al Qaeda operatives and sympathizers may try to respond violently to avenge bin Laden’s death, and other terrorist leaders may try to accelerate their efforts to strike the United States. But the United States is taking every possible precaution to protect Americans here at home and overseas. The State Department has sent guidance to embassies worldwide and a travel advisory has been issued for Pakistan.

And without a doubt, the United States will continue to face terrorist threats. The United States will continue to fight those threats. We have always understood that this fight would be a marathon and not a sprint.

There’s also no doubt that the death of Osama bin Laden marks the single greatest victory in the U.S.-led campaign to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat al Qaeda. It is a major and essential step in bringing about al Qaeda’s eventual destruction.
    Seems pretty clear that POTUS and the team around him understood that the organization remained dangerous and this one death wasn't the end.

I would also note that Al Qaeda =/= ISIS. Islamic terrorism is not monolithic. Bin Laden did not claim to be the caliph, as far as I'm aware. His messaging was largely "the western world (America in particular) sucks" not "I've got the following signs of the divine right to rule". I recall a lot of speculation that he was largely a figurehead, at least once he was hiding in Pakistan.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I recall a lot of speculation that he was largely a figurehead, at least once he was hiding in Pakistan.
    Which turned out to not be the case according to remarks by senior military officials following the site exploitation. Quite the opposite, he was still heavily involved in running the organization.

In any case, I don't know why people have to bitch and moan about this.

Why the fuck can't some of you people just be happy? It's like we, the American people and its government, can literally not do anything without hearing ya'll internet armchair experts bitch and moan and tell the people in the ring how they're idiots and you know better than they do because you read some bullshit article in Vogue or whatever.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-28-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I don't know. They thought they cut off the head of the snake when they killed Osama. Then up pops al-Zawahiri. If they kill him there are 10 more standing in line.
    So be it. Ammos cheap.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter

It's like democrats and the 2020 election.
    No one with any sense thought AQ was going to just go away when Osama was killed. Killing him was a symbolic and morale blow the his people just as it was a symbolic morale enhancer for the US.

Osama was a “Rock Star.” However competent Al Zawahiri might be, he is no Osama. There is only one Osama and we killed his ass.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-28-2019 at 10:52 PM.

User Tag List