Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: #RevolverCurious

This thread inspired me to get offa my butt and install the Apex hammer and C&S rear sight, the PO installed the plug:

Name:  686Plus.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  94.5 KB

And I have a spiffy JMCK AIWB for it:

Name:  JMCK AIWB.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  100.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This thread inspired me to get offa my butt and install the Apex hammer and C&S rear sight, the PO installed the plug:

Cant tell if thats a 60 or 686.

Looks good.

How do you like the c&s with the red ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

What's the trigger like?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Cant tell if that's a 60 or 686.
    That is a 686+, like you are/were contemplating. The 3" come with a full lug.
    How do you like the c&s with the red ramp?
    I like it OK, but should mention my eyes are old and do not give me an exactly distinct view so really shouldn't render an opinion. My plan is to shoot it until I can make an estimate on a front sight height and then get a Dawson F/O. I have them on my M&P I shoot weekly and like the distinct smaller dot, and they make them in a ton of height options:

Name:  DP SW.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  40.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What's the trigger like?
    It is nice, but nothing is probably ever gonna be like my M-19 (old enough to be pinned and recessed). The hammer came with two rebound springs and I went with the Duty/Carry version, and I say it is plenty conservative. I have a Wolfe mainspring someplace, but I left the original (if it is, just whatever the PO had in there). I should reserve judgment till I have some more time with it, but I say it is good for something drop in, just not OhMyGodBecky like my M-19. One aspect may be that is just feels different, maybe because I really do not have that much L-Frame time, and I wonder if things feel different because it is 7 shot? And I think it could probably tolerate some lighter springs but I am not gonna go there yet (maybe ever). Now I am kicking myself that I didn't weigh the hammer before I put it in, the factory hammer had some cavities that lighten it, so I am speculating the Apex might at least be comparable weight without the spur. But for sure this is a workable defensive setup, probably not the one I would grab if a black helicopter landed in front of the house and the crew said "we need a salesman that knows how to shoot but cannot run very far to come help save the world", but I would pity the fool that might choose me at the ATM (except I never go to a walk up ATM, why do I have all these guns?...).

@mmc45414

My poi was a little to one side with my c&s rear so I used a small file on one side. It fixed my poi and open up the rear to allow more light around the front sight which is my preference.

I think the sight is designed for 4" barrels and the width would be fine for them.

The meprolight front I use worked out perfectly for the loads I use most. Hot 125s shoot low so I dont bother. Everything else shoots to the dot or the tip of the front sight which suits me perfectly.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My galco miami classic retains k frames with bobbed hammers
    You've mentioned that, but I'm kind of leery of spending $100 on a new holster that the maker says isn't for the gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You've mentioned that, but I'm kind of leery of spending $100 on a new holster that the maker says isn't for the gun.
    Can you get it from Amazon, where they have a generous return policy?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Can you get it from Amazon, where they have a generous return policy?
    Good thought. I'll look there.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    All: you’re not a revolver connoisseur if you don’t have a stash of unobtanium .357 loads with a rep for working ok... just saying...
    This made me curious enough to inventory the stash:

Name:  IMG_3441.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  47.5 KB

Maybe hard to see some of it, so the Barnes 140gr XPB and the Underwood xtreme penetrators to the left are 357 woods loads here in non-lead California, plus some GDHP-SB, XTP, and Buffalo Bore 180gr hardcast 357; The Blazer and AE boxes top center are old leftover 357 JSP boxes, old enough that the price tag on the AE says $11.59/50. Everything from there down and right is 38 special, the Gold Dot SB and the Black Hills 148HBWC are carry loads in four-inch and snubbie guns, respectively. The plastic boxes on the far right are a small part of my wadcutter practice reloads, mostly 148 HBWC Precision Delta loads over Bullseye or W-231, there's a bunch more of that in the reloading room.

Site Supporter
    Yes they do. This was my backup that I carried when my m19 was down. It'll be my daughters when she's older.

Attachment 63920
    Is that a chromed Model 10, or a SBRB model 64? Either way very nice!

User Tag List