Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Front sight - press

Hammertime
    If target focus works just fine (and I believe it does), why, are a lot of visually challenged older shooters running for the dots? Aside from the coaching aspects of the dot that is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    If target focus works just fine (and I believe it does), why, are a lot of visually challenged older shooters running for the dots? Aside from the coaching aspects of the dot that is.
    Well, (I'm a Distinguished/Super Senior) I could shoot pretty well with soft focus sights, but took extra time trying to get my irons lined up, so used corrective lenses. Moved on to red dots and found my irons improved too, which I contributed to being "taught" by the red dot.

I'm going to work on target focus with irons and do some evaluating.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post

@YVK, were you looking through your sites or over them? Curious...
    Through the sites. I saw a blurry front sight inside even blurrier rear window, and was fighting the habit of trying to see the front sight clear.

If target focus works just fine (and I believe it does), why, are a lot of visually challenged older shooters running for the dots?
    Dot's easier. You still need to see the front sight, albeit blurry, and you do need to have it within rear notch when shooting irons target focused.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Because reflex sights offer a reference point projected out into the same focal plane as the target.

No matter how you slice it, that's easier for the brain to process than some tiny, blurry reference marks on top of your pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Because reflex sights offer a reference point projected out into the same focal plane as the target.
    The dot doesn't leave the focal plane of a glass. You're still reconciling two different focal planes, target and glass. We don't think of it but in reality the dot is just like a big bright fiberoptic that doesn't need to be referenced to the rear sight's notch.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The dot doesn't leave the focal plane of a glass.
    The reticle's image is physically at the reflector lens. But the brain perceives it to be in the same plane as the target

At least that's how I understand how the brain interprets visual input.

Probably. It just suddenly occurred to me recently that, from pure visual / physiologic standpoint, to shoot the dot we still have to see something that's located just a couple inches south of a front sight.

Did some messing around with this at the range today. First pic is sighted fire, comparing 124 to 147.

Second pic is target focus, crystal clear 'X' and blurry but aligned sights. This is just at 10-12 yards as the target stands are frozen in the snow. I stuck an 'A' zone (Amazon box flap) in the snow at about 20 yards and went 5/5 with a softer than normal FS focus but more of a pattern than a group.

More experiments require, and I'll stick with the dot for now but it gives me something to work on with irons.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Front sight - press

I shot El Pres twice today with my CO Shadow2. It was cold, and my reloads sucked. But the results were interesting with regard to this discussion. First run was with the optic on, target focus of course. 2nd run was dot off, target focus.

Dot on: 48 points / 5.22s = 9.2HF

Dot off: 50 points / 5.33s = 9.4HF
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-15-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I stuck an 'A' zone (Amazon box flap) in the snow at about 20 yards and went 5/5 with a softer than normal FS focus but more of a pattern than a group.
    Without a distinctive aiming reference on that, a "pattern" is normal.

Try it with an actual B8 down there and see how it do. Goal is just keep the irons in the black, work the trigger.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List