Page 17 of 131 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Agreed. I'll let others ride the cutting edge of the new hotness.
    My youngest son sent me a link to their facebook announcement with a, "Hey Dad!" I told him the same thing: let's see where it stands in a year or two.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

A Python was one of the first centerfire revolvers I shot; my Sergeant Major lent me his 6" Royal Blue one (talk about a great intro, and a very nice gesture).

I listened to both the Colt video and the Ken Hackathorn interview, and I still have some unanswered questions.

Like the 3" King Cobra, I'd like some greater specificity as to the materials and manufacturer; is Colt's Mfg actually manufacturing it, or are they just assembling them (or just putting their rollmark on them)?

Are the internal components thorough hardened, or just surface hardened?

I like the improvements made-strengthened frame, improved/strengthened sights (and interchangeable front sight), improved trigger architecture and action/pull characteristics.

Reliability and durability are still open-ended questions. As others have mentioned, lets see how it is after a year or so.

Nice gun, and I'm appreciative (and impressed) for Colt not just re-introducing, but improving it, but in this niche I'm more inclined to go the Chapuis-Manhurin MR73 route.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-02-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Like the 3" King Cobra, I'd like some greater specificity as to the materials and manufacturer; is Colt's Mfg actually manufacturing it, or are they just assembling them (or just putting their rollmark on them)?

Are the internal components thorough hardened, or just surface hardened?
    That's information that no manufacturer will ever release to the anyone outside the company (regardless of professional qualifications) without a very strong NDA, for a host of very good reasons.

ETA: clarified to whom, in my professional experience, this kind of info is released to.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-02-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That's information that no manufacturer will ever release to the anyone outside the company, for a host of very good reasons.

ETA: clarified to whom, in my professional experience, this kind of info is released to.
    Which is one of the reasons that I'm posing the question here on p-f rather than attempting to schmooze up Colt's PR rep.

AS, one of these days were gonna train you to use your powers for good....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Which is one of the reasons that I'm posing the question here on p-f rather than attempting to schmooze up Colt's PR rep.

AS, one of these days were gonna train you to use your powers for good....

Best, Jon
    I would never agree to release any of that information, if I worked at Colt.

Asking the PR guy? LOL.

Bluntly, no one outside of Colt has the specific knowledge needed to decide which parts should be case hardened, which ones should be through hardened, of what materials they should be made, or who should make them.

It's just that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That's information that no manufacturer will ever release to the anyone outside the company (regardless of professional qualifications) without a very strong NDA, for a host of very good reasons.

A friend's machine shop was receiving Colt 1911 slide & frame forgings and his Swiss machines were producing near finished pieces. Anything is possible.

The python's frame and cylinder were always very strong, it was the internals than suffered early wear with fast DA shooting... and that infamous stacking in DA. And it was all hand fitted.
    This improved action could be more durable, and certainly much easier to service when the time comes.
    But the colt only has ONE locking point in the rear of the cylinder, I don't see it being as strong as a GP 100.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 01-02-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    A friend's machine shop was receiving Colt 1911 slide & frame forgings and his Swiss machines were producing near finished pieces. Anything is possible.
    Well of course, if you're subcontracted you'll get what you need along with an NDA

I actually am kinda jonesing for one now.

What size holsters do they fit? I have a elpasso saddlery threepersons thats border engraved for a 4" N frame that I've got a plans of maybe a 28-2 someday but if a python would fit maybe ill hold off.

Name:  Carnacmeme.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  48.2 KB

User Tag List