Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate P320 M17 Collectible

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Which makes sense, but doesn't really explain why they needed to trade back in the pistols which they already received.

Whole thing seems strange to me. Bizzaro world indeed.

We're going to sell you a USGI pistol, but which was turned in within 2 years of getting it so they could get a model with different colored controls. So now it's not really the pistol issued to the .mil. If you want one of those, you will have to get one with the black controls. And we've set an MSRP at what a completely new pistol would cost.

Also, don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist; but given the 320's history, some are going to wonder if other changes have been made behind the scenes.

cc
    I would be amazed if there haven't been...

Frankly, I'm kind hard pressed to get a grasp on the desirability of these things, other than the cachet of it being an issued military gun. Of course, you have absolutely zero idea if it was issued to a combat arms, combat support, or combat service support unit/individual; other than it being issued, you have no idea of its actual provinance/use.

To me, it's kind like the CMP 1911 release-other than to have a WWII era 1911, your're probably getting a mixmaster gun, with parts substitutions/replacements performed by unit or higher echelon organizations, with zero provinance, and a 1911 with inferior sights and steels/hardening. Personally, I prefer a Series 70 Repro (and I actually have both) if you actually intend to seriously shoot/carry the thing.

Unless SIG and/or their distributors are offering these things at significantly discounted prices (because, hey, it's a used {and used apparently to a wide spectrum of use/wear possibilities}, my interest level is low. And other than providing the additional RSA for use with standard pressure ammunition, SIG isn't specifying that they've performed any examination or refurbishment-or if so, what specifically it entailed. And I curious what warranty is provided...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Which makes sense, but doesn't really explain why they needed to trade back in the pistols which they already received.

Whole thing seems strange to me. Bizzaro world indeed.

We're going to sell you a USGI pistol, but which was turned in within 2 years of getting it so they could get a model with different colored controls. So now it's not really the pistol issued to the .mil. If you want one of those, you will have to get one with the black controls. And we've set an MSRP at what a completely new pistol would cost.

Also, don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist; but given the 320's history, some are going to wonder if other changes have been made behind the scenes.

cc
    Was there another change related to the thumb safety and slide stop colors? Maybe some internal parts coatings that weren't on these original guns?

Vending Machine Operator
    Mercy.

Reminds me of the days after the first run of 226 Navy's (the special ones with the NSW prefix, donation to charity, certificate, etc). They were such a hit that SIG decided to make 226 Navy's as a part of their regular production line.

Man, the forums were full of talk about real vs fake, contract overruns vs false marketing.

There were people out there who firmly believed that their particular pistol was crated up and headed off to the SEAL's, only to be stopped and sent to them instead.

They were ready to pay handsomely for such a pistol as opposed to one which was just called Navy.

Guess SIG learned from that and is looking to profit from it.

cc
    Just more of that tacticool factor I cared so much about before I found PF. Truth is, a SEAL could make an XD-9 sing like most shooters couldn't make a P226 Legion.

As PF is always right about, it's the shooter, not the tool.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Retail MAP - $699.99
    X5 is abut $800...
    -adjustable sights
    -magwell
    -better trigger

I get the appeal, definitely.

Looks like they're backordered already at the 1st sale link. Wonder how many were available total?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    I get the appeal, definitely.

Looks like they're backordered already at the 1st sale link. Wonder how many were available total?
    Osage County says to keep an eye on their Instabook page. The USGI M17 will be posted there when available.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns...odel/14-36440/

Little sidebar but the U-Prefix P226 no rail Navy models that followed the NSW guns were actually identical to the Seal pistols, the NSW guns were not as the serial number was not correct. An old post from the former Sigarms Marketing Director from a long time ago lays things out. This is all pre Ron Cohen so any “oh boy Sig being Sig” is just salty bullshit.

There are three version of the Navy SEAL pistol. The differences are subtle in some regard.

1) NSW serialized P226 was a pistol we released that was identical to the one we build for the SEALs except for the "NSW" serial # prefix. The actual gun they get has a U serial # prefeix. The NSW pistols were also part of a fundraising effort on the part of SIGARMS to raise money for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. We were able to raise $100,000 plus another $25,000 from the auction of serial # NSW0001. We estimate that SIGforum members accounted for 10% of the pistols purchased. This gun came with a Certificate of Authenticity which has the NSW serial # prefix already printed on the card. We printed extras.

2) Non rail P226 Navy with serial # prefix of U is the actual honest to God gun we have supplied the US Navy SEALs with for several years. No certificate was designed to go with this gun.

3) Railed P226 Navy with serial # prefix of U is the newer version of the SEAL pistol. Very few people know this because we have not really announced it but the Navy ordered about 1,000 P226 pistols with the rail to replace older guns in their armory. I believe they are only ordering railed P226 pistols from that first order to the present. No certificate was designed for this gun.

The original certificate has been placed in some of the pistol boxes that have U serial numbers. This was a mistake - and an obvious one I would think - but one that was made. Having a certificate that reads "NSW" on the serial # line when your gun has a "U" prefix is, well, pointless. The only thing that certificate would authenticate is the fact that somebody placed it in the box. I asked them to stop putting the wrong material in those boxes which they have done. Only the special run of NSW serialized pistols was supposed to have a certificate in it.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion. And don't worry, I am used to having my name spelled wrong. - ERHARDT"

Thanks to Erhardt SiGARMS Director of Marketing posted on SigForum

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Osage County says to keep an eye on their Instabook page. The USGI M17 will be posted there when available.
    I was told they are only getting 20. They were first approached and offered the guns by the mil/leo side of Sig with an MSRP of $699. Since then Sig's website has clearly offered them to regular non mil/leo qualified buyers. They said they were unsure if they're restricted to mil/leo qualified buyers or not and have reached out to Sig for clarification but haven't received any. They also weren't sure if the MSRP was for mil/leo only.

Watch social media for news and clarification from them was their advice.

-Cory

This all seems to me like the same type of situation as when the M45s went back to Colt.... Some contract clause was exercised requiring replacement, which reverted the originals back to manufacturer property once replaced. Reason they were sent back doesn't really matter. Company figures they might as well get their money back out of them so they release them to the market. Same way many Army reject guns were sold on the civilian market in the long ago past... Colt single actions and such with reject marks.... I guess they are cool from a " having been a service gun" perspective yet I'm still not personally looking forward to the day I turn in my M9 and replace it with a M18...

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    This all seems to me like the same type of situation as when the M45s went back to Colt.... Some contract clause was exercised requiring replacement, which reverted the originals back to manufacturer property once replaced.
    CDNN regularly has red label 320's for sale at very reasonable prices. I'm betting a lot of those are returned LE guns as they seem to all have night sights.

They run around $350-370 a piece which isn't bad for a soul-less plastic pistol.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List